Research essay/assess--Greek World 500-440 (1 Viewer)

foxster

HSC
Hi,

I've got a research essay/assessment to do over the hols...and the question is:

Assess the significance of cleruchies in Athens' attempts to exercise control over its allies in the period 478-440BC

since i have to say how significant it was, i was going to use other methods that Athens used, including:
  • navy
  • economy (trade)
  • presence of garrisons among allied states
  • 'people roles'--including, archontes, proxenoi, episcopos
  • direct interference with allied jurisdiction

if you've got any ideas/quote/criticism etc (blah blah blah)
i would greatly appreciate it

thanks
foxster

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
We never really focused on Cleruchies when I did this topic, however I do have a bit of information:

Establishment of cleruchies

Between 450 and 446BC, Athens inaugurated a system of cleruchies, which were settlements of Athenian citizens abroad. These strengthened Athens’ hold on her empire, as they were located at strategic points in the Aegean. This policy was associated with Pericles and – although popular with the Athenians – caused more bitterness and resentment than any other aspect of Athenian imperial policy.

This policy was associated with Pericles and – although popular with Athenians – caused more bitterness and resentment than any other aspect of Athenian imperial policy.

The best land was taken by the Athenian cleruchs, dispossessing a local population often three of four times as numerous as the newcomers. These local people often became quite destitute.

The Athenian settlers, drawn from the two lowest classes, were raised to hoplite status by the grant of land. According to Plutarch, not only did this system relieve “the city of a large number of idlers and agitators and raise the standards of the poorest classes”, but at the same time it implanted amongst the allies “a healthy fear of rebellion”.

It is believed that Tolmides, the Athenian general, led some cleruchs to the Dardanelles area, and in 447 Pericles himself led 1000 cleruchs to re-establish Athenian control in the Chersonese.

This was vital to Athens’ corn trade from the Black Sea, which was being threatened again by warlike tribes. Plutarch says that these 1000 cleruchs “provided the cities there with fresh strength and vigour but Pericles also secured the neck of the Isthmus”.

Plutarch records that after Euboea revolted against Athens in 447-446, Pericles “transplanted the whole population of Histiaea from their territory and replaced them with Athenian colonists”. These cleruchs were not colonists in the strict sense, as they were still Athenian citizens and could be called up for military service.

classics_chic

HSC
Just make sure you answer the question, and while including the other elements is a great idea, make sure you include them only within the boundaries of your question.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)