resources for hast exam (1 Viewer)

xiiaomeii

HSC
N/A
i'm planning to take the hast exam to transfer to a selective school and was wondering what i should study and practice for the test (please be specific i'm quite desperate). im in year 9 currently and trying out for year 10 so please someone help me!!!!

kkk579

hello
HSC
then... perhaps consider giving the OP some advice
oh yeah sure lol
so basically the hast test that you will do is the middle secondary exam which has four sections: writing, reading comp, abstract reasoning and maths and science.
maths and science:
the qs in this test are not like anything that you learn in school, rather they are more iq and logic based and test your ability to quickly understand difficult concepts and apply them to the whatever the q is asking

abstract reasoning:
just practice by searching up the qs online and doing them. u have 30qs and 30 minutes did make sure your time management in the exam is good. honestly this was the easiest part and i thought it would be a lot harder than it was. a lot of ppl found abstract reasoning to be the easiest exam however keep in mind that making several mistakes will lower your percentile by a lot because ig this section is more competitive?

writing:
they will just give u a prompt and i was allowed to do a narrative or discursive. so ig if u want to practice just write responses and get someone to give u feedback on them.

reading comp:
wasn’t too too difficult, i thought it would be alot harder. there’s a mix of both short and long texts so just be wary of your time management during the test. anyways, you can just search hard comprehension questions and you will find lots on the internet to study.

if u give me ur email i can send u some resources i used

what schools r u applying for?

xiiaomeii

HSC
N/A
oh yeah sure lol
so basically the hast test that you will do is the middle secondary exam which has four sections: writing, reading comp, abstract reasoning and maths and science.
maths and science:
the qs in this test are not like anything that you learn in school, rather they are more iq and logic based and test your ability to quickly understand difficult concepts and apply them to the whatever the q is asking

abstract reasoning:
just practice by searching up the qs online and doing them. u have 30qs and 30 minutes did make sure your time management in the exam is good. honestly this was the easiest part and i thought it would be a lot harder than it was. a lot of ppl found abstract reasoning to be the easiest exam however keep in mind that making several mistakes will lower your percentile by a lot because ig this section is more competitive?

writing:
they will just give u a prompt and i was allowed to do a narrative or discursive. so ig if u want to practice just write responses and get someone to give u feedback on them.

reading comp:
wasn’t too too difficult, i thought it would be alot harder. there’s a mix of both short and long texts so just be wary of your time management during the test. anyways, you can just search hard comprehension questions and you will find lots on the internet to study.

so i want to apply for ruse or sghs but idk what extra curriculars to do + i need to do a lot of external exams/ competitions to even have an chance to get it. honestly i think maybe caringbah high school and thats it cuz its the closest to me lol. i'll message you my email thank u so miuch ilysm

skzzks

HSC
so i want to apply for ruse
i would offer advice on hast but that’s the one test i like bombed so i’ll just share edutest (ruse test) + extracurriculars

i got into nsg (which also uses edutest) and the main things i did to prepare were the victorian selective past papers (since the test style is quite similar) i did buy the edutest practice tests in y9 (when i tried out for ruse) however i think that they are simply too easy and not worth spending money on

ultimately what i found is that edutest is not a difficult test, you just need to be able to do questions quickly

for maths i would suggest brushing up on mental maths (from memory it is not calculator) as u need to be able to do questions very quickly (it’s like 60 in 30 mins)

there’s also a mathematical reasoning component which involves sequences number patterns fibonacci sequences stuff like that so i’d highly suggest doing some icas/amc style questions

reading is honestly not difficult naplan level at most

for verbal reasoning i think reading (to expand vocabulary) more as well as just doing some like thinking skills/ga practice questions would be beneficial

writing will likely be creative but i think it’s marked super easily or smth (dk how i did good on that tbh)

for abstract reasoning (for hast) i used the ucat website to practice which was good coz they have detailed solutions

i also got into baulko and like sghs it requires extracurriculars so feel free to dm me if u want any advice on those/interview practice questions

best of luck!!! and remember don’t stress too much if u don’t get an offer this year, i tried every yr from yr 7-9 and only ended up getting offers in y10 (since it’s the main intake for majority of schools)

Last edited:

kkk579

hello
HSC
so i want to apply for ruse or sghs but idk what extra curriculars to do + i need to do a lot of external exams/ competitions to even have an chance to get it. honestly i think maybe caringbah high school and thats it cuz its the closest to me lol. i'll message you my email thank u so miuch ilysm
for ruse it’s the edutest and i don’t think sghs has a test so to have a good shot at getting accepted at sg you must make sure u have stellar reports (including teachers comments) and make sure you have a lot of other things that set u apart from the other applicants (competition awards, school awards, extracurriculars)

skzzks

HSC
for ruse it’s the edutest and i don’t think sghs has a test so to have a good shot at getting accepted at sg you must make sure u have stellar reports (including teachers comments) and make sure you have a lot of other things that set u apart from the other applicants (competition awards, school awards, extracurriculars)
yes another thing for sghs is sport like for example
my friends friend she didn’t have the best grades but she went to state for swimming so they were like 😍😍😍 even if sport isn’t ur thing try to involve urself in something like for example i joined netball in y9 and i think it made my baulko application more
all rounded

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Don't apply to Caringbah, it never has any spots. My friend who made it into FSHS last year applied to Caringbah too but got rejected because they had no spots.

wzsmartypants

HSC
Don't apply to Caringbah, it never has any spots. My friend who made it into FSHS last year applied to Caringbah too but got rejected because they had no spots.
Bro it might also be due to me putting caringbah as 3rd. she's not doing year 11 entry so she could give it a shot if she wishes.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
Most selective schools have a larger intake in year 11 and then apart from that, it's really only if someone leaves. Caringbah generally has around 10-15 spots in year 11 intake

Mohammad Abas

HSC
i would offer advice on hast but that’s the one test i like bombed so i’ll just share edutest (ruse test) + extracurriculars

i got into nsg (which also uses edutest) and the main things i did to prepare were the victorian selective past papers (since the test style is quite similar) i did buy the edutest practice tests in y9 (when i tried out for ruse) however i think that they are simply too easy and not worth spending money on

ultimately what i found is that edutest is not a difficult test, you just need to be able to do questions quickly

for maths i would suggest brushing up on mental maths (from memory it is not calculator) as u need to be able to do questions very quickly (it’s like 60 in 30 mins)

there’s also a mathematical reasoning component which involves sequences number patterns fibonacci sequences stuff like that so i’d highly suggest doing some icas/amc style questions

reading is honestly not difficult naplan level at most

for verbal reasoning i think reading (to expand vocabulary) more as well as just doing some like thinking skills/ga practice questions would be beneficial

writing will likely be creative but i think it’s marked super easily or smth (dk how i did good on that tbh)

for abstract reasoning (for hast) i used the ucat website to practice which was good coz they have detailed solutions

i also got into baulko and like sghs it requires extracurriculars so feel free to dm me if u want any advice on those/interview practice questions

best of luck!!! and remember don’t stress too much if u don’t get an offer this year, i tried every yr from yr 7-9 and only ended up getting offers in y10 (since it’s the main intake for majority of schools)
Could you please send me your resource for reading,maths, and abstarct resasoing please my email is tareefh.ong@gmail thank

Mohammad Abas

HSC
oh yeah sure lol
maths and science:

abstract reasoning:

writing:

reading comp:

Could you please send me your resource for reading,maths, and abstarct resasoing please my email is tareefh.ong@gmail thank

skzzks

HSC

Sir Jigger II

HSC
I am applying for FSHS, TECH and GIRRA and I am sitting HAST this Saturday. If anyone can give me advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Sir Jigger II

HSC
oh yeah sure lol
maths and science:

abstract reasoning:

writing:

reading comp:

are you able to give me some resources please

sw2090

HSC
hi, personally my resources aren’t really suited towards hast as in all honesty i focused on preparing for edutest but here is what i
can you give us an example of the questions? im so lost on what to study and where to find stuff also how long should u study for to do well thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)