Retina 5k iMac (1 Viewer)

theKingPin

HSC
What do you think of the new "retina 5k" iMac. Is it neccessary. Like dem pixels cost 2.5 grand. But the bragging right are endless you can even brag to people with 4k displays (UHD). And 4k pis panels cost more than this iMac, so it's cheap? That's new for Apple :)
http://www.apple.com/au/imac-with-retina/

Here's a link to the 5k image(BoS doesn't allow for that large file. So this whole image would fit on the iMac without any down scaling.
http://www.apple.com/au/imac-with-retina/5k.html

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly don't think 4k/5k is a practical option for household customers at the moment, especially with a screen size that small.

theKingPin

HSC
My friend has a 4k desktop and it is amaazzzzzzzzzzzing. The screen is so beautiful I want to steal it from him.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Saw it in store and was wowed in a similar way to when iPad 3 came out and iPhone 4. I know it's not that exciting to some but the whole inability to see the pixels always leaves me impressed.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pointless. No much content is formatted for 4k
On a TV that may be so (although there seems to be more content available here in Singapore given their 1Gbps internet connections) but on a computer, it's about being able to see the detail either in graphics or data. I've been in a few situations where a 1080p display isn't capable of showing a spreadsheet with sufficient detail on the numbers/text without zooming in. I figured a UHD or better display would be useful in those rare circumstances.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
On a TV that may be so (although there seems to be more content available here in Singapore given their 1Gbps internet connections) but on a computer, it's about being able to see the detail either in graphics or data. I've been in a few situations where a 1080p display isn't capable of showing a spreadsheet with sufficient detail on the numbers/text without zooming in. I figured a UHD or better display would be useful in those rare circumstances.
wowwwww, 400kbps here 4 dayzzzz

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
wowwwww, 400kbps here 4 dayzzzz
I personally am cheaping out and signing up for 300Mbps. Given I only had 100Mbps Bigpond cable Ultimate before and that blew my mind speed-wise, 300 should be more than enough. Some of the providers of fibre to your home here even include two outlets and two routers to ensure you get optimal signal strength... in an apartment :S

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I personally am cheaping out and signing up for 300Mbps. Given I only had 100Mbps Bigpond cable Ultimate before and that blew my mind speed-wise, 300 should be more than enough. Some of the providers of fibre to your home here even include two outlets and two routers to ensure you get optimal signal strength... in an apartment :S
amazing

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
4k is enough tbh

but even then Dell had a 5k monitor out a couple of months before the retina 5k so really bragging rights belongs to them

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What really is so good about an retina screen?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What really is so good about an retina screen?
That's what people said about high resolution screens on phones/tablets before we became accustomed to it.

It just brings with it an extra degree of clarity which benefits a wide variety of scenarios. For example, looking at a spreadsheet of numbers or data, being able to see the detail just by focusing your eyes or looking closer without having to zoom in and out is great.

I was playing with the Retain iMac the other day and gosh it's beautiful to use... but unfortunately I'm not much of a desktop guy anymore. I realised this is my first time in a very long time I don't have a desktop PC (or even a laptop now) in my household. My Macbook is coincidentally still at my office (because I left it here once and never took it home) and I use an iPad primarily at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)