Revenge Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Alison Grace

I went to an information day on RT and the lady was the head marker of Revenge. She strongly advised using Hamlet: not as a supplementary text, necessarily, but mention it to indicate wider reading. Hamlet, afterall, is the archetypal revenge tragedy.

Also, High Noon is an excellent eg of RT- the inversion of our avenger is handy when talking about the influence of context on texts and how genres are interpreted. The tragedy is stronger than at first perceived: the fact that Zinneman was making a statement about his society which were panicking about communism and all that means that the tragedy envelopes its audience also. It exposes the human habit to cling to each other, and be influenced by each other, instead of observing our own sense of individuality and being willing to stand against convention for the sake of it. Lots of symbolism used: facades for instance- the town looks like cardboard cut-outs, which represents the facades we hide our true selves with (note that most conversations where we find out about characters occur in rooms), etc etc etc...

High Noon is a top text!! =D

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
High Noon is a text of its time, a text of context- when answering question one context is foucssed on, so you get medea, which is a blatant RT without many convention challenges (except for medea herself) and compare that to either The Cid or High Noon- Carl Foremans context in High Noon allows us the reading of no actual tragedy to the protagonist, however the tragedy is the reluctance of the towspeople to aid Kane. In The Cid context allows Roderigo to marry Ximena and continmue his life because we are looking at things from Corneilles context in 17th century france, not 11th century spain where the real roderigo actually is killed by Ximena. Good ;luck if you can make sense of that!

tabularasa

HSC
i think medea is a great text to settle us into revenge tragedy. give us the basic conventions of the genre without confusing us,.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I'm doing revenge tragedy and we're using Mystic river as a related text.

It seems to be very bludgy and we're concentrating strongly on values, morals and context strongly.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I didn't know the related texts needed to make connections with your Core Texts.

I just thought they all had to fit into the genre of revenge tragedy

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I also find advanced is really demanding for a 2Unit course.

Like 4 topics and 6 assessment task and 2 HSC exams with lots of questions. All for a 2Unit subject

Compared with Extension 1, just 4 assessment task 1 HSC exam with 2 questions.
But revenge tragedy is killing me, for some reason.. i find it so boring that i can crap on about it in my essays.

Butterfly Kissz

i wana go bak to unsw!
HSC
revenge tragedy was the best part of ext1!

the hsc for it allows so much freedom, i found it better than adavanced english!

the important things to remeber are conventions and context!

good luck!

:)

Butterfly Kissz

i wana go bak to unsw!
HSC
if you need help with extension, i tutor it. so just pm me.
:)

its best to have ur related texts to link well or justapose against ur core texts..

so either way you can show how its changed or stayed relevant or have been used according to change of context.

RT was my fav subject!!

well worth it!

alessandra

HSC
hey i am doing an asssessment which is based on the 2001 RT question. i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or could help me get started. i have to imagine myself as a character from medea , who wants revenge or is a victim to it and justify my role and its effect on the unfolding actions....... i have no idea what to do.... i dont want to be medea cause i think everyone will be her but it seems much easier . what do u all think? ( oh its a speech, and its can be said to anyone i wish )

Rapunzel911

ext 1 so better than eng adv

I reckon ext 1 is so much more interesting that eng adv...there's so much more depth..and journeys are so boring. I also like the fact that there are only 2 people are in my class. How many do ext 1 in u guys year? And oh..anyone heard of Colin Forbes? He writes thriller, detective kind of books, but most of them have heaps to do with revenge tragedy. I'm using one of his books, 'Fury', for related material. SO much better than Jacobean tragedies.

alessandra

HSC
at my school we have 3 classes of about 15-20. so around 45ish

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
anyone got ideas on how The Revenger's Tragedy relates to the conventions of the genre of revenge tragedy that had developed by the Jacobean times.

That essay question is killing me. Someone plz help.

brassedoff

HSC
phillipo said:
they, you know, "reveal certain truths about our society which we choose to ignore" and the fact that RT isn't just fictional.
isn't functional in today's society? or any society? That is the question...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)