Review of Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi so I will be selecting my subjects for yr11 soon and wanted some commentary/advice on my choices. For reference, I want to do a course in university that is focused on science (maybe forensic science).

1. ext 1 maths
2. adv english
3. bio
4. chem
5. beginners italian
6. legal studies

total: 13 units

reserve: PDHPE (because I think im the only one in my year who wants to do italian)

I am quite good at maths (94% and 83% where the highest you can get is 85%), but not so much at english. It has been dragging my grades down this year at 84% for the semester whilst 53 people in my grade got 85%-100%. However, I do not want to do standard, but I want to know the difficulty level of advanced because some of my friends in the year above have said that it is also really hard.

I currently do cambridge biology and love and do well in it (96%) but also want to know how much memorising there will be for the yr11 and yr12 course. Chemistry seems quite hard too... I do physical science currently and whilst my marks in those this semester were ok (86%) it wasn't a theory paper. I did well in Italian in year 8 and can still remember how to read and write basics. I want to keep my options open so I chose legal studies, but I heard from people there's A LOT of memorising.. and together with biology would that be too much??

Because I don't think that I'll get Italian, I chose PDHPE as a reserve because I heard it's a bludge (the excursions also look SO fun) and if I don't have to put as much time to get a good mark, then I can spend more time to do well on the other subjects?? Is my logic sound??

any kind of advice would be appreciated thanks!

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Quite well balanced in terms of scaling and workload. One thing I would say is to keep in mind how you would like to proceed with these subs i.e. whether you want to pick up extension 2 maths or whether you want to do 10 units in year 12. Having a plan gives you a direction to work toward. But again see how you go in these subjects..

HSC
ok, thanks for the affirmation! I doubt I'll do ext 2 maths and I don't know what I'll drop, it will depend on my grades and what I enjoy. Also if I am excelling at PDHPE (but it's essentially useless for my future) and not doing so well in something that would be useful for my future (e.g. chem) should I drop chem to get a better ATAR?
Quite well balanced in terms of scaling and workload. One thing I would say is to keep in mind how you would like to proceed with these subs i.e. whether you want to pick up extension 2 maths or whether you want to do 10 units in year 12. Having a plan gives you a direction to work toward. But again see how you go in these subjects..

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
ok, thanks for the affirmation! I doubt I'll do ext 2 maths and I don't know what I'll drop, it will depend on my grades and what I enjoy. Also if I am excelling at PDHPE (but it's essentially useless for my future) and not doing so well in something that would be useful for my future (e.g. chem) should I drop chem to get a better ATAR?
I would do so - doing a subject you enjoy will automatically make you put effort into the subject. One thing I would say would be to go to HSC ninja and see how many band 6s your school has gotten - this will give an idea of where you want to be aiming to get the score you desire. After considering you position in ranks and then seeing the subject favourable to your ATAR, it would be better to go ahead with the decision of dropping. Also keep in mind the scaling (you may be better of with a 88ish in chemistry than a 90 in PDHPE for reference - don't quote me on the exact stats lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)