rftg - the shipping news (1 Viewer)

grinnie

ok, i need help!... please

does anyone know of any ways of thinking in the shipping news, i mean ones besides local is good, global is bad???

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
quoyle is in many ways an anti hero. he is fat, unsuccessful, unsociable, yet in the end he succeeds and is happy. this is a rebellion against the globalistic view of your typical hero.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I would tend to disagree there. A hero is usually one who overcomes various flaws within themselves and those around him. If Quoyle succeeds in attaining fulfillment, despite the fervent opposition of globalisation, wouldn't that make him a hero? :eek:

Don't mind my meaningless ramblings, just thinking aloud. :eek:

Last edited:

devi

hmm, i dont think the shipping news has the global good/local bad thing... it challenges the simple sea-change look at retreat, because when we dig into the local, we find inherent flaws in it... the local in this book is by no means perfect, it is quite absurdly flawed actually, much like it is in the castle... neither isperfect, yet we can still find solace in a sense of place.

also, i think this book shows how inextricably linked the global and local are... the oil thing shows that this local relies heavily on global. the two cannot be extracted from eachother....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)