Role of a chemist (1 Viewer)

speersy

HSC
N/A
we have just recently started this topic and our teacher said we should just do this dot point at home
"outline the role of a chemist employed in a named industry or enterprise, identifying the branch of chemistry undertaken by the chemist and explaining a chemical principle that the chemist uses"

I have looked on the csu website but i don't like it as alot of people would be just copying it.
Does anybody have any info on this dot point that is not too common?;)

wahashtini

Well if u have conquering chemistry, there's a lot of info on Burhan Gemikonakli, who is a plant chemist at Qenos which manufactures a range of plastics and polymers. He aslo does analytcal chemistry: in determining the chemical composition of a substance. He monitors the quality of polyethylene and polypropylene making sure it meets the set standards.
He monitors waste water that leaves Qenos making sure it meets government regulations and standards. (EPA)
finally he collaborates with other plant engineers in studying efficient and feasable methods of obtaining maximum yields.
This is a general summary of what he does, 4 more info look in conquering chemistry, first page of this module.

za

HSC
do u hav to name a chemist
or is it the role of a chemist in general

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You dont have to name a chemist, but you have to give their job detail in a named industry (eg in ethylene production)

04er

HSC
Originally posted by speersy
I have looked on the csu website but i don't like it as alot of people would be just copying it.
Does anybody have any info on this dot point that is not too common?;)
Could you be anymore lazy? Look in text books or if you have enough strength you could click onto the uni sites to read about the jobs of researchers there. And as wahashtini mentioned, Conq Chem has an excellent description of one chemist working at Qenos. If you only checked hsc online then you are f*****.

Sush

we just did someone who is involved in the manufacturing of ammonia ahahah which is a bit of a rought since u need to know all the monitoring things for it anyway

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sush
we just did someone who is involved in the manufacturing of ammonia ahahah which is a bit of a rought since u need to know all the monitoring things for it anyway
lol it saves brain space man!

We did this in class. We simply received some articles from the classifieds for chemists and summarised what was involved with the job. You could do a brief introduction on the job type, like analytical chemist etc.

We also watched a video on chemists and their jobs - it was a total propaganda movie to get students to become chemists. Dare I say I saw subliminal messages :p.

jaspreet

jasz
HSC
N/A
Is that all you can come up with. Come on guys, I need this info too... What you guys paid for {'o'} ?

P.S. The face thing is copyright 2004 ...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jaspreet
Is that all you can come up with. Come on guys, I need this info too... What you guys paid for {'o'} ?
Hmm considering you are asking for our help, to criticise us isnt the best way. And consider this, you are lucky that you get help because most of us are in competition with you.

Patent Number?

04er

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Hmm considering you are asking for our help, to criticise us isnt the best way. And consider this, you are lucky that you get help because most of us are in competition with you.
I friggen agree - it isn't fair that people ask questions where
a) the answers can easily be found in text books
b) extensive research is required and people simply come on here to cut huge corners
c) they ask only because they are lazy to do it themselves!

No offence to the person who started this thread, but you suck - finding info about the role of a chemist isn't particularly hard. Just because you want an original example doesn't justify why you came here. If you dont have access to text books then unfortunately you will have to get off your ass and get some.
We're lucky that we have some past students who decided to stay back and give us a lending hand, but we shouldn't exploit them. I'm sick and tired of 'students' that dont do the most basic things themselves. This is the HSC and we are all competing like Xayma said - dont waste other board members time on shit.

Originally posted by Jaspreet
Is that all you can come up with. Come on guys, I need this info too...
grrr.... dont start me...

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
agreed....

do not rely on bos too much... no doubt tis a great resourceful forum, but you want to develop your own ability to read through text books, research materials too...

those are essential survival skills in uni i believe... so try to make a habit of making an effort to get to know it rather than being told the answer...

regarding this dp, conquering has a lot of info on a specific chemist... path way has info on chemists over a wide range of fields...

if your school did not issue you a text book, then maybe tis a good idea to buy one... usually, leets keep around 2-3 text books...for cross referencing ...

but also, give them abit of room... i mean bos would be pretty dull if no one ever asks questions =)

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
but also, give them abit of room... i mean bos would be pretty dull if no one ever asks questions =)
I had no problem with the first guy, it was the second one that said:

That bugged me, purely because he expects us to have the information when he doesnt

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm... true that... if he's jkin, then it is not explicitly shown.... i am abit offended by it too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)