Role of Optimates/Populares (1 Viewer)

copperearth27

HSC
Hey Guys,
Just wondering if anyone can help me with the syllabus point
  • role of optimates, populares
see I have never fully grasped what they were ie i know that they form the senate and were factions etc but i simply cannot figure out what i should put in my notes for this point.
please help me

machiavel

HSC
Is this for Latin or Ancient Hist.? (*whacks self* Ignore that - I didn't see the thread index.)

The optimates (also 'boni' i.e. 'the good men') were ultraconservatives who blocked the motions of the senate made by the more moderate populares, so the two parties' major function was - to be blunt - to stagnate passage of laws through the senate, hence reducing its ability and power as a governing body. The optimates were almost entirely patricians, hence they were forbidden to attend the Popular Assembly, so their unintentional role was to increase the power of the plebs by forcing the populares to pass laws in the assembly instead of the usual route via the senate.

Can you give me a bit more information on what the objective refers to, i.e. what particular texts you are studying where this objective crops up? I can be more specific that way instead of giving you information that may be potentially misleading.

copperearth27

HSC
well its for ancient history, the fall of the roman republic 78-31 BC
so i need their role in the fall of the republic, parhaps their role in the civil war or something. im not really sure what the point retfers to to be honest but thats my guess

melmont13

HSC
Talk about how they blocked the Triumvirs and their reforms and stuff. Also don't forget that people like Caesar were optimates and populares to, so you can talk about them in your essay.

ides_of_marz

HSC
Hi - idk if I'm too late to help (since you posted this in Oct last year :D)
But you could talk about:

1) Cato & the 'ultra-optimates' who blocked all Caesar's negotiations (just before he crossed the Rubicon), ignored the veto of Antony and Cassius (tribunes!!) and overrode the three-hundred-and-something senators who were against the Civil War - even though they were supposedly upholding the Constitution, they ignored it for political expediency b/c they wanted to get rid of Caesar.
2) Also Cato's bribery of his brother-in-law Bibulus

3) The Senate's use of political expediency for Pompey & Octavian (polit. expediency, fear of Pom or Octavian coming back with armies & marching on Rome(!)

Feel free 2 PM me if you want specifics, notes etc.
What textbook do you use? (We use Bradley)

Btw: Sorry, I have no idea if this is what you wanted, but hope it helps!

rawrawr

HSC
the idea of optimates and populares came up after tiberius gracchus's tribunate. it refers to as said before conservatives vs. radicals. the conservatives and radicals fight for control of the senate and as a result contributed to the downfall of the roman republic. they were exactly roles, more like political sides.

VegemiteLover93

HSC
(Political Revolution)
Optimates: Simply put, the Senate. The Optimates were people like Sulla, Scipio Nasica, Scipio Aemilianus etc.
Populares: Marius, Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus, and to a certain extent, Saturninus.
Populares, staring off with Tiberius, chellenged the Senate, and exposed the frailties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)