Rome: Total War + Barbarian Invasion (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i got addicted when Shogun: Total War came out, THEN medieval total war, then a year ago, Rome: Total War (best total war game...literally cant get off it) and now, Barbarian Invasion. pity i dont have it :( *sobs*

anyone else play it, or any of the total war series games?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i got addicted when medieval came out, i really liked it cause it was like a board game, but then when you attacked you could control like 1000 units, had seiges, castles and a good economy system

i then got Rome total war... i still play it, i got it when it first came out and its a very polished, very intensive game with significant improvements on medieval that bothered me at the time. its pretty addictive, like u sit down to play it and then u go for a toilet break and realise its morning.

i dont think i will get barbarian invasion because it doesnt really appeal to me, i wish there were more maps though... like a mexico map, or a few minimaps like with the tutorial how it was like mini rome... imagine like mini britain scenario: the couragious britons versus the might of Rome or like a few events like boudicias uprising in briton... or like greek islands: fight for supremacy and its a map consisting of the agean sea, and each of the little islands, or every 3 or so is a city and its territory[ every 3 or so casue alot of the islands are small, and there are like 100's]
or how about like : Poland, civil war. and make it a bit more character intensive like: capt longass must free his captured warriors from the oppresive Roman legions! destroy this Roman outpost, free your soldiers and lead your men to victory against Rome

this game has a bit of playability for me, being a history student because after winning as julius, i then went to play the greeks, the egyptians and so on... but it does get a bit repetitive, like crush everyone, take over the world... the very begining is the most interesting for me, as u struggle to gain even one more teritory and the armies are easier to manage when its only like 300 men vs 250men

but cause its the same map, it gets repetitive... they need more maps. and they need more objectives rather than the simple senate missions like blockade this port, crush this enemy, and the main objective: conquer europe

this game impressed me, but overall i give it 8/10. it would have been 9, but i see alot of room for improvement and things they could have worked with to make it much better.... i could see alot of room for improvement with the multiplayer, but as it is, the main map is 2 big for a multiplayer game

hipPo3

HSC
I got TW Rome and the Barbarian expansion. I've had it for a long time now.

I personaly like the game without the expansion .. greeks are too much fun to play with, but on the other hand .. barbarians are much easier to play with in Barbarian invasion.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
played rome for 10mins and gave up, shitted me. 1 horse ran over the whole infantry. didnt like the interface after much play of aok 2

M.I.A-187

HSC
Played all of them part from viking expansion.

My dad is the god of total war games i mean....he beat medieval (campaign) with the polish on HARD!!! I MEAN POLISH JUST LOOK AT THEIR UNITS AND THEIR TERRITORY (not being racist).

Right now i am playing Rome and its fun since my com can handle it and i am using the good old large phalanx unit with heavy cavalry setting (i got a pic where i massacred a roman army wanna see??)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
M.I.A-187 said:
Played all of them part from viking expansion.

My dad is the god of total war games i mean....he beat medieval (campaign) with the polish on HARD!!! I MEAN POLISH JUST LOOK AT THEIR UNITS AND THEIR TERRITORY (not being racist).

Right now i am playing Rome and its fun since my com can handle it and i am using the good old large phalanx unit with heavy cavalry setting (i got a pic where i massacred a roman army wanna see??)
yes! i started playing with the romans, but then i switched to greeks, they r more fun, have better units and overall cooler

hipPo3

HSC
Serius said:
yes! i started playing with the romans, but then i switched to greeks, they r more fun, have better units and overall cooler
The greeks (greek cities, macedon) are easiest to play with IMO. Thier phalanx is mighty powerful .. but slow. Their cavalry is shithouse though ..

M.I.A-187

HSC
I play selucid actually they got great cavalries (cataphract...companion are just not as great for i am not a great thinker :rolleyes: ) chariots, elephant and great phalanx but however to mee phalanx are too inflexible sure they can hold positions well but once out manevoured * hit from flank or rear and god knows how slow they turn* they are bound to be slaughterred en masse and when a catapult struck them....shit here goes my veteran spartans :(. But overrall Spartans are the shit...they are like an iron wall with spike. Also greek cavalry are shit but their archers are very good.

Overrall if you want great phalanx and cavalry i really do suggest the Selucid for cataphract are like...a big armor block with a pointy stick which move fast (seriously once you have them hit a flank or a rear, most unit will just get slaughtered as i soon learn that naked barbarians do not mix well with hooves, spear and armored horse) and they got elephants too ARMORED ELEPHANTS.
However their range do suck for they only got normal archers but well in campaign You can always heir cretan archers which are like err snipers :)

But if you want easy i still say egyptians...god they just need to nerf those chariots.

I play Romans for imo they are much easier to play since all i do is keep harassers away from my main assualt force and advance with the legions.

Also since i promised pplz images how do i upload one :) i still don't know. As for that pic i am using Armenians for normal skimish battles but they got phalanx as well so yeah (well not as good as their hellenic counterparts but its a bang for their buck for what they can do).

Last edited:

hipPo3

HSC
Elephants are easy to pwn .. i just use peasents :). They work well indeed.
M.I.A-187 said:
Also greek cavalry are shit but their archers are very good.
Egyptian archers are the best. They have the furthest range.:uhhuh:

M.I.A-187

HSC
Yes but after playing a few games of warhammer, i do know how to hide my bigger units from enemy missles.

No cretan have the best range from personal experience :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i would say that chosen archer warband is the best all round archer (this is pre-barb. invasion). costs less (only one season and less money) to recruit, and has pretty much similar status to pharaoh's bowmen and cretan archers. forester warbands are pretty good as well.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I played total war and liked it except for the cities getting pissed off all the time. I would frequently have to abandon my city and let them riot then go back in and exterminate the population. Then they would just get full again and I'd have to do it again. I don't particularly like the turn based thing either.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I played total war and liked it except for the cities getting pissed off all the time. I would frequently have to abandon my city and let them riot then go back in and exterminate the population. Then they would just get full again and I'd have to do it again. I don't particularly like the turn based thing either.
mmmmm u could try to just GIFT the cities to the enemy (once u have the garrison out), then take the city again, and exterminate population :) hehehe

mmmm however it doesnt seem to work for versions 1.3 and above though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)