Rooster. (1 Viewer)

Monz

HSC
What sort of things are you guys studying for Rooster? Are you studying your interpretation of each section of the work, the song lyrics, christopher bruces background as a choreography, reviews? Is there anything else i should be looking at?
Thanks guys!

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Ok... (hope you don't mind an Ex- HsC dancer giving info :p - i only did the exams last year ^^ )

Rooster:

Study the

- LYRICS - and their interpritation (well the actual movements, and how the words, and verses are incorporated into the dance)

- Study the back ground of the ERA it was choreographed/ first performed (note the time of performance is different to choreographed date)

- Study things such as the

Sexual Revolution
The Femminist Movement
Drugs
Rock n' Roll
Life and politics in the time;

- Christopher Bruces background (although this isn't a major part of it, but you must have basic outline of his life/ career.

- Reviews could be usefull- although i would stick with reviews for Ochres, rather than Rooster.

- Interaction between male and Female Characters on stage

- Costumes

- Types of Movement

- Props.. what props are used, Stage Setting.

- Main characters (describe in relevance to costume and style)

------

this bits from the NSW HSC Online - Dance page
(lol, i still have it bookmarked- i really need to clean all the old HSC stuff out )

the history of the work
the context of the work
the contribution of the work
the choreographer's influences, motivation, philosophy
past and present criticism of the work.

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Another ex-HSC dance student here... lol It's really quite a broad work. Don't get into the habit of studying just ONE thing or even a selection of concepts. Really pay attention to every little detail of the work. It makes it a lot easier to regurgitate essays if you really know beyond the work. That way you don't get stuck in the actual exam!

Colour, Symbolic movement, CONTEXT (big one there!!), influences etc. Really understand the context of Rooster, that's the entire subject matter of the work. It all revolves around this concept especially. In Rooster, it's a great piece of work because each concept works off the next. If you begin studying Christopher Bruce's background, you will see that this leads to the context of his work. The influences are brought from these contexts. Eg: The Sexual revolution influenced Bruce to use symbolic movement to show the social expections and behavior of both men and women. The change of society (Diverse range of dance styles and movement symbolises this change) throughout the 1960's allowed Bruce to show the change of Male and Female roles. Music choice. Why the ROLLING STONES??? How did they change societies perceptions... Why did Bruce choose 8 Rolling Stones pieces? You can keep going and going working of the CONTEXT concept. These are verrrrrry little suggestions. Really watch the work over and over again!

More elaboration, the better. Shows a deeper understanding and knowledge, thus separating Band 5 from 6. Hope that helps you a little... Goodluck with the performances, viva's and appreciation Monz!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)