Safety in Cambodia (1 Viewer)

KarmaKitten

HSC
So at the end of the year, I plan to go spend about a month in asia, mainly in Vietnam. However for the past couple of weeks I have been looking into stopping over in Cambodia as well.

Now I have heard some interesting things about the country concerning safety etc, does anyone know or have any personal experiences travelling to cambodia?

I know its not touristy as Vietnam and therefore probably doesnt offer the same amount of security, but is it really that dangerous or it just a bit of exaggeration?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
some things to note about cumbodia:

It is one of the most corrupt countries in the world (ranked 151st/163rd)

Has one of the lowest GDPs per capita in the world

Last big period of unrest was in 2003, when Cambodians started rioting...because something bad was said about some actress they loved

There is still unrest around its borders, and some violence, but this shouldn't affect you, as a tourist.

There are landmines, but they won't be in populated areas (400 deaths last year from them)

You may be treated like shit, if you look thai

Crime is relatively high, but it's not usually targeted at tourists.
e.g. (from an actual police blotter on arrests)

lol said:
AUGUST 2: Sriv Chansy, 18, was arrested for a murder he committed in Kampong Thkol village, Kandal province. Police said Chansy killed Yoeun Vong, 21, while stealing a cucumber. Vong was chopped from behind his neck with a heavy knife while sitting in a hammock and eating a cucumber.

Last edited:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Mum wants me to go visit my granddad on her side before he passes off, but that's like end of next year. Rent have been going back whenever they can, which is not very often cause we don't have that kind of cash lying around. They don't seem bothered by it so I dunno. I personally wouldn't go, but then I'm not much for travelling anywhere really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)