Same creative for belonging and NTG? (1 Viewer)

draconiansteam

HSC
Has anyone written the same creative for belonging and NTG? Many of their concepts and paradigms seem to overlap so I was thinking of doing a common creative piece and just perfecting it.

If anyone has done so in the past, would you recommend it?

Also, what aspects would you have to incorporate to ensure it complies with the subject outcomes of both advanced and EE1?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I find that prepared creatives get slammed in EE1 as the constraints are way more specific than Adv.

For my module in my HSC, they not only specified to explore limits of control but also to incorporate a letter. And as you are doing the same module, the creative Q would have been the same for you too.

I don't see the same creative fitting both well unless it's a highly mouldable story. So to do it, you'd have to be conversant with moulding it so it doesn't stick out as a not well fitting story to either Belonging or NTG-so you may have to change the focus of it slightly, highlight different bits etc.

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
I would definitely recommend it, however only if you can successfully mould your response to the requirements of both courses. Belonging is a somewhat broad concept and therefore you would probably be able to adapt an English Extension 1 creative to belonging quite easily. I know alot of people who have effectively "doubled up" creatives and have done quite well in doing so. However, you do need to be careful. You shouldn't be doing this simply because you don't want to write more than one story, but rather because there are insightful and genuine links between the two courses. Therefore, whilst adapting a story across courses can be a good idea, you need to be weary of the fact that if the links from your extension 1 creative to belonging are scarce, it could come across as forced and contrived.

_BD

HSC
I would always recommended compiling a portfolio of short stories and essays. However, if you pull out your syllabus' and use them as a guide, it is possible to write one creative writing for both subjects. If you do decide to do this, practice writing out story structures/full stories emphasising different aspects of the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)