SAT or HSC?

• SAT

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • HSC

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters

theycallmebob

HSC
Which do you think is the better system?

USA: study for the SAT test in junior year (yr 11) and then chill out for the senior year, go to parties, be awesome.

AUSTRALIA: study like crazy for 2 years, receive state rank.

goobi

HSC

USA: study for the SAT test in junior year (yr 11) and then chill out for the senior year, go to parties, be awesome.

This is not true. You can sit the SAT test whenever you feel like.

madharris

HSC
N/A
yeah apparently the IB is 2nd best system while HSC is something like 22nd (i vaguely remember reading about this in 2008 so might be wrong and has probably changed)

alot of the kids at my school do it too. I was thinking about doing it but it's a lot of work.

OP: what's the point of a senior year/ year 12 if you're not going to try?

theycallmebob

HSC
yeah apparently the IB is 2nd best system while HSC is something like 22nd (i vaguely remember reading about this in 2008 so might be wrong and has probably changed)

alot of the kids at my school do it too. I was thinking about doing it but it's a lot of work.

OP: what's the point of a senior year/ year 12 if you're not going to try?
not sure, last year of being a kid, rite of passage kind of thing. mind you, most of my insight is from the movies so...

madharris

HSC
N/A
not sure, last year of being a kid, rite of passage kind of thing. mind you, most of my insight is from the movies so...
lol... i would hate to do that though... there would be no point to school except to see friends

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well comparing it to the SAT, I think the HSC is a better calibre education model.

But if we were comparing it to other systems, like IB and FB, I might have a different answer.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
but its generally done in yr 11, which is also the year that the colleges look at your marks etc.
Nope. A few people I know did the SAT after the HSC exams (2 weeks ish) and got offers at UPenn and Harvard.

HSC
Uni Grad
HSC is still better imo, at least it equips you with the workload required to adapt to university.

That also said, the HSC is actually harder than the american system of learning.

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
Lolomg the two don't even compare! I did the sparknotes SAT in year 9 with no practice and got 2000, which is considered a good score.

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
Anyway, the American system is just silly in general. What's with splitting up the mathses? They're all intertwined o_O

Cl324

HSC
N/A
I prefer HSC because its based purely on academics and there is more freedom of choice.

The American college entry system isnt just the SAT.
You have the SAT, interviews, extra curriculars, essays, teacher references on top of grades in school classes where a lot of the students take IB.

juliastegner

HSC

You have got to be kidding me.............. you obviously haven't tried to apply for American colleges or even taken the time to do basic research as to how American colleges accept their students. SAT is only a PROPORTION of what determines your acceptance and , no it isn't even the dominant criteria! (GPA is much more important) There were people with CRAZY high sat SCORED AND DIDN'T GET INTO HARVARD..

The American college application system is so much better than the Australian college application system IMO because they take into account your grades from year 9 onwards , your extra curricular activities , your academic achievements outside of school , (i.e competitions) , personal essays etc..it's so much more competitive as you are competing against the entire nation for a spot in the top universities..

You obviously want us to pick HSC as the 'better' system because you're so quick to dismiss the USA system..
but HSC lets face is = study hard for ONE year (year 11 doesnt even count..)
whereas AMERICA is basically your entire highschool grades+ to stand out you really need to have extremely well rounded extra curricular activities THROUGHOUT highschool (so no you can not cram it all into senior year) , incredible academic achievements in nation state competitions + do well in the interviews +essays...

My friend applied after HSC and she said it was a pain in her butt because it's very stressful to just fill in the applications alone.. and then on top of that you need all these credentials. (for reference; she applied to Harvard , Yale ,UPENN , Columbia , Princeton)

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
You have got to be kidding me.............. you obviously haven't tried to apply for American colleges.
There were people with CRAZY high sat SCORED AND DIDN'T GET INTO HARVARD.
The American college application system is so much better than the Australian college application system IMO because they take into account your grades from year 9 onwards , your extra curricular activities , your academic achievements outside of school , (i.e competitions) , personal essays etc..
it's so much more competitive.. sure you get your last year to 'rest' but 9-11 you are a slave.. if you want to maintain that high GPA..

You obviously want us to pick HSC as the 'better' system because you're so quick to dismiss the USA system..
but HSC = study hard for ONE year (year 11 doesnt even count..)
whereas AMERICA is basically your entire highschool grades+ to stand out you really need to like
tbh, I would agree though, because it tries to make students more all-rounded, which is crucial to life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)