Scaling and Ranking in Subjects (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey guys, out of curiousity, i have some questions in relation to the grading in Macquarie University.

First, does our SNG (final unit mark) get affected by our ranking/percentile in relation to the rest of the unit cohort?

OR

This leads me to my second question which is: does scaling apply to subjects? Like, is our raw mark in a unit our final SNG in the unit? Or does scaling come into play?

I would assume that answers may depend on faculty/unit. Specifically, I am talking about the Business/Economics faculty, and units such as ECON111/ STAT170

thanks in advance!

:)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
All I know (and I could very well be wrong) is that your final mark is not your raw mark. I know for assessments it is, but for the final mark they do something to it. What they actually do is beyond me.

I'm sure there is somebody else around here with a better idea.

rayy_bann

HSC
All I know (and I could very well be wrong) is that your final mark is not your raw mark. I know for assessments it is, but for the final mark they do something to it. What they actually do is beyond me.

I'm sure there is somebody else around here with a better idea.
Thanks for your input Azure! I just asked this, cause I was wandering through some of the posts in here where people have been posting their results. Some people have gotten 95+ SNGs for all their subjects, but from what I 'hear', that isn't their actual raw mark. I mean, I must admit that I try really hard all the time, but getting literally perfect for every assessment thus far for a subject like ECON is VERY hard (for me). So I'm contemplating whether a goal of 95+ SNG for such a subject is actually achievable for me. I'm just curious about rankings and scalings because if this system were to be true, I could be more optimistic in my grades.

Blizane

HSC
Getting 95+ in a subject is definitely not common at all, and there are very few subject areas where (IMO) it is actually possible. I think the only subjects where those kinds of marks are possible are in subjects which heavily involve maths (where you can 100% know you either do/don't grasp a formula and its application) rather than more 'wordy' subjects which no doubt involves a bit of subjectivity.

I also don't know what they do with the marks, but honestly, I don't care. Just try your best and good results will surely follow - it's worked for me.

(If you really are still curious as to how the marks are adjusted, go to the exam script viewing at the end of the semester and take a look at your mark for your final exams, and add up your %'s for all your assessments and see how that compares to your SNG final grade... might give you an idea on what's going on)

rayy_bann

HSC
Getting 95+ in a subject is definitely not common at all, and there are very few subject areas where (IMO) it is actually possible. I think the only subjects where those kinds of marks are possible are in subjects which heavily involve maths (where you can 100% know you either do/don't grasp a formula and its application) rather than more 'wordy' subjects which no doubt involves a bit of subjectivity.

I also don't know what they do with the marks, but honestly, I don't care. Just try your best and good results will surely follow - it's worked for me.

(If you really are still curious as to how the marks are adjusted, go to the exam script viewing at the end of the semester and take a look at your mark for your final exams, and add up your %'s for all your assessments and see how that compares to your SNG final grade... might give you an idea on what's going on)
Thanks for the input Blizane! Yes, I agree totally in 'trying your best and good results will follow'. I'm surely going to follow that recommendation of viewing my examination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)