Scaling for Maths Ext 1 & 2 (1 Viewer)

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what a 45% raw mark in maths ext 2 is (very bad) and a 75% raw mark in maths ext 1 would roughly get aligned to?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Deleted my original post as I checked the database for alignment - seems like a raw score of 45% for a very tough subject is undervalued.

quickoats

HSC
Deleted my original post as I checked the database for alignment - seems like a raw score of 45% for a very tough subject is undervalued.
I don't think so IMO - 40ish% is enough to show Band E2 competencies in MX2 which is why it squarely lands in the 60s. Alignment is not about difficulty but about the band descriptors (see below).

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I don't think so IMO - 40ish% is enough to show Band E2 competencies in MX2 which is why it squarely lands in the 60s. Alignment is not about difficulty but about the band descriptors (see below).
Yes, but because the final mark & ATAR are all important for competitive Uni entry, this acts as a disincentive for students to study maths extn 2. No wonder a past HSC maths chief examiner bemoans (in another forum) how the scaling system encourages able mathematicians to choose easier options than what they are capable of doing.

quickoats

HSC
Yes, but because the final mark & ATAR are all important for competitive Uni entry, this acts as a disincentive for students to study maths extn 2. No wonder a past HSC maths chief examiner bemoans (in another forum) how the scaling system encourages able mathematicians to choose easier options than what they are capable of doing.
The scaling argument in the media is generally put towards capablestudents that do general maths instead of 2U maths so they have a shot at getting close to full marks. However this is being alleviated with the new common content in 2U and General which means it’ll have a similar scaling/alignment relationship as English std/adv

This 60ish in 4u maths does not correspond to a 60 ATAR btw… these marks are purely standards based. Alignment and scaling are two different processes - this mark will be scaled accordingly on the UAC side of things.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
This 60ish in 4u maths does not correspond to a 60 ATAR btw… these marks are purely standards based. Alignment and scaling are two different processes - this mark will be scaled accordingly on the UAC side of things.
I did understand that 60 for 4U maths doesn’t correspond to an ATAR of 60 - aggregating the ten best units is the same as during my time. The bit I‘m unclear about is whether the aligned mark for maths Extn 2 is further scaled before being added to the aggregate from which the ATAR is calculated.

quickoats

HSC
I did understand that 60 for 4U maths doesn’t correspond to an ATAR of 60 - aggregating the ten best units is the same as during my time. The bit I‘m unclear about is whether the aligned mark for maths Extn 2 is further scaled before being added to the aggregate from which the ATAR is calculated.
Yes, it is further scaled. Alignment gets the raw marks to the right bands (band 6 means a level of achievement stated by NESA). These aligned marks are sent to UAC and are scaled with respect to each subject.

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure E2 is 50 - 68? So, I'm just curious as to why you've said that it's squarely in the 60s as it might potentially be in the 50s too. If it is squarely in the 60s, that would be good lol.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Raw marks are aligned to give aligned marks. Aligned marks are NOT scaled any further and do not form any part of the ATAR calculation. Aligned marks purely exist for the HSC record of achievement, not the ATAR.

Raw marks are scaled to give scaled marks. These are used in the ATAR calculation.

See the flowchart below for further information:

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
Raw marks are aligned to give aligned marks. Aligned marks are NOT scaled any further and do not form any part of the ATAR calculation. Aligned marks purely exist for the HSC record of achievement, not the ATAR.

Raw marks are scaled to give scaled marks. These are used in the ATAR calculation.
Oh right, thank you. Makes more sense now, so - the aligned marks are the marks you would see on your text message of the results after your HSC?

And so, if I wanted to estimate my ATAR after receiving the text message with my aligned results (assuming that the HSC result I received via text message is the aligned mark) - I would put those aligned marks into the atar calculator?

quickoats

HSC
Oh right, thank you. Makes more sense now, so - the aligned marks are the marks you would see on your text message of the results after your HSC?

And so, if I wanted to estimate my ATAR after receiving the text message with my aligned results (assuming that the HSC result I received via text message is the aligned mark) - I would put those aligned marks into the atar calculator?
Text message is the aligned results.
ATAR calculator is literally only useful for those 6 hours between marks and ATAR - just type the text message marks in.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Text message is the aligned results.
ATAR calculator is literally only useful for those 6 hours between marks and ATAR - just type the text message marks in.
then how come in talent 100, it goes for me "your mathematics extension 1 is lifting your atar, but English advanced is dragging it down devote more time to English advanced" and they should give more clarity to what you put in there

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
then how come in talent 100, it goes for me "your mathematics extension 1 is lifting your star, but English advanced is dragging it down devote more time to English advanced" and they should give more clarity to what you put in there
it's a ploy to get enrolments....
NO atar calculator can take in weighted school marks and give a legit estimation. Yes it might show you what track you're on.

yanujw

HSC
Quick question - if you're doing past hsc practice papers and (for example) you average 90% in several past papers, does this mean you can roughly expect a HSC mark of 90% for that subject, assuming you continue at the same level? In other words, is doing and marking past HSC exam external papers a valid (I recognise it won't always be accurate) way of predicting your hsc mark?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question - if you're doing past hsc practice papers and (for example) you average 90% in several past papers, does this mean you can roughly expect a HSC mark of 90% for that subject, assuming you continue at the same level? In other words, is doing and marking past HSC exam external papers a valid (I recognise it won't always be accurate) way of predicting your hsc mark?
It could give a brief idea of how you could perform in the actual HSC exam if your performance has been of consistently high standards in the past HSC practice papers, provided the questions in the actual paper are of similar type/difficulty, allowing you to perform at a similar/identical level to what you were able to achieve when completing past exam papers. In such a case, completing and marking past HSC exam papers can be considered a valid (to an extent - as we never know what can happen) way of predicting your HSC exam mark.

quickoats

HSC
That 90% will be your raw mark - have a look and see what that aligns to on the raw marks database. Type this aligned mark into the hsc calculator and that should yield a decent estimate.

rajeshtheting

HSC
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what a 45% raw mark in maths ext 2 is (very bad) and a 75% raw mark in maths ext 1 would roughly get aligned to?
If this is for trials, assuming your aiming for an E4 (Band 6) in 4U, then aiming for a raw mark of ~75 can get u that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)