scaling (1 Viewer)

careersforest

HSC
I am amazed at the mis-information so many students here seem to have been fed about scaling. There is no such thing as a good or bad scaling subject. Subjects are only scaled at all to make sure that noone is disadvantaged by doing any subject that they like. Students should always pick the subjects tha they like and are good at. Trying to pick subjects because of scaling is a major recipe for disaster for those of you who want a good UAI.

Beege

HSC
so true... the UAI I want will be achievable according to SAM... scaling is overrated.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Are you saying that getting an 80 in extension two maths is the same as getting an 80 in modern history? :rolleyes:

noobsgetowned

HSC
Yesterday a person from Board of Studies came to our school and he said the exact same thing. There is no such thing as scaling, most people are mislead and end up doing subjects such as Physics, Chem etc because 'they are scaled good'. You should always do the subject your good at.
Your better off getting a 92 in PDHPE or food tech ( which are so called 1 of the easiest subjects) Then getting a 80 in Physics.

mat2154

HSC
there is scaling, if there wasn't everyone would drop 4 unit maths and do general maths, get a higher hsc mark and spend less time studying

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
noobsgetowned said:
Yesterday a person from Board of Studies came to our school and he said the exact same thing. There is no such thing as scaling, most people are mislead and end up doing subjects such as Physics, Chem etc because 'they are scaled good'. You should always do the subject your good at.
Your better off getting a 92 in PDHPE or food tech ( which are so called 1 of the easiest subjects) Then getting a 80 in Physics.
I don't think so. Scaling definitely exists but i do agree with the rest when it comes to students choosing subjects based on scaling. Students should choose their subjects according to their likes not scaling. You can do low scaling subjects as long as you maintain solid marks if not, no matter what people say, scaling will effect your end result to a certain extent. I highly doubt that the guy from BOS told you that there is no such thing as scaling because Sydney Morning Herald frequently releases subject scaling related articles when the hsc draws nearer.

Scaling shouldn't impact on your subject selections too heavily. If a person believes that they are capable of doing say 4u math then by all means they should do it but no one should choose it purely based on the scaling. A lot of people forget that scaling can bring a both positive and negative result to your uai. Like all subjects - if you perform well in them, you are scaled up & if you perform poorly, you are scaled down. I know plenty of people who had done 4u math and english and ended up with uais in the 60s and 70s.

Obviously someone who gets a 60 in general math (which is a fairly simple course) will get scaled down more than a person who gets 60 in 4u math, which is a lot harder and involves a lot more time and study.

:)

Last edited:

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
for a fact scaling doesnt start to affect you marks as much as people think as long as you get above 80%
if not then most subjects you choose (disregarding extension subjects) will scaling you to a greater extent

over9k

HSC
mat2154 said:
there is scaling, if there wasn't everyone would drop 4 unit maths and do general maths, get a higher hsc mark and spend less time studying
what he said.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
3unitz said:
if someone put the same effort into modern to get 80, into ext 2, and they both were as good as maths as history, then they will probably end up scaled toward uai with similar wieghings.. i would imagine.
How does that work? When you say "and they both were as good as maths as history" do you mean the students performance or the scaling? The weighings wouldn't turn up the same anyway.

beentherdunthat

HSC
3unitz said:
if someone put the same effort into modern to get 80, into ext 2, and they both were as good as maths as history, then they will probably end up scaled toward uai with similar wieghings.. i would imagine.
No. 80 in Extension two maths scales your UAI way higher than does Modern History.

There is such a thing as scaling. And I further agree with mat2154.

beentherdunthat

HSC
3unitz said:
picking a subject should be based on how much it will motivate you to put effort into that subject (ie. you like it) , or because you're naturally good at it.. not because it "scales better"
Agreed. :uhhuh:

mat2154

HSC
obviously you shouldn't pick a subject because it "scales better", you will always do better at the subjects you like and are good at. however, scaling does exist to make it fairer for people doing "harder" subjects

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
mat2154 said:
exactly.
no-one would bother with extensions !

williamc

HSC
Picking subjects for their level of 'scaling' is useless. ANY subject combination can be used for a UAI over 99, with someone in aboriginal studies getting a 100 UAI last year. The scaling algorithim has been developed not disadvantage or advantage any student simply by their subject selection, but to allow students to pick a diverse range of subjects that they are best suited to and would enjoy the most.

Obviously though, scaling does exist.

readert

HSC
Everyone gets so wrapped up in scaling, that they lose the "big picture".

No-one should EVER worry about scaling, as it only ever vastly affects the average students - i.e. those in the peak of the bell curve. You should try and just do the best you can, widening the gap between yourself and the average students so that statistically you're above average.

If you worry more about scaling than your own work, you can expect scaling to have a negative effect on you.

noobsgetowned

HSC
You do realise scaling affects very little as you hit over 90. It nearly gets finished, So if you think you can do well in a subject and get 90+, go for it, rather than thinking you can get 75+ in physics or bio.

So many people here brain washed i swear :S

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
noobsgetowned said:
You do realise scaling affects very little as you hit over 90. It nearly gets finished, So if you think you can do well in a subject and get 90+, go for it, rather than thinking you can get 75+ in physics or bio.

Yes, if you manage to maintain 90+ marks in all your subjects - then scaling won't effect you but you were the one who said scaling doesn't exist. People haven't been brain washed they're just aware that scaling EXISTS and that it can bring either a postive or negative result, depending on the amount of effort a student chooses to put in.

The only people who have been brain washed would have to be the students who base their subject selections purely on scaling.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
mat2154 said:
great hypothesis

xclusv2bhung said:
exactly.
no-one would bother with extensions !
agree

tanjin said:
I don't think so. Scaling definitely exists but i do agree with the rest when it comes to students choosing subjects based on scaling. Students should choose their subjects according to their likes not scaling. You can do low scaling subjects as long as you maintain solid marks if not, no matter what people say, scaling will effect your end result to a certain extent. I highly doubt that the guy from BOS told you that there is no such thing as scaling because Sydney Morning Herald frequently releases subject scaling related articles when the hsc draws nearer.

Scaling shouldn't impact on your subject selections too heavily. If a person believes that they are capable of doing say 4u math then by all means they should do it but no one should choose it purely based on the scaling. A lot of people forget that scaling can bring a both positive and negative result to your uai. Like all subjects - if you perform well in them, you are scaled up & if you perform poorly, you are scaled down. I know plenty of people who had done 4u math and english and ended up with uais in the 60s and 70s.

Obviously someone who gets a 60 in general math (which is a fairly simple course) will get scaled down more than a person who gets 60 in 4u math, which is a lot harder and involves a lot more time and study.

:)
well i wouldnt know if would do well in the hsc courses of my subjects during subject selection stage

im not too flash in maths ext1 but its my 11th unit.

williamc said:
Picking subjects for their level of 'scaling' is useless. ANY subject combination can be used for a UAI over 99, with someone in aboriginal studies getting a 100 UAI last year. The scaling algorithim has been developed not disadvantage or advantage any student simply by their subject selection, but to allow students to pick a diverse range of subjects that they are best suited to and would enjoy the most.

Obviously though, scaling does exist.
agree

readert said:
Everyone gets so wrapped up in scaling, that they lose the "big picture".

No-one should EVER worry about scaling, as it only ever vastly affects the average students - i.e. those in the peak of the bell curve. You should try and just do the best you can, widening the gap between yourself and the average students so that statistically you're above average.

If you worry more about scaling than your own work, you can expect scaling to have a negative effect on you.
its a huge distractor too

psychokitten said:
too late telling us yr 12s now...
you can always move on

tanjin said:
Yes, if you manage to maintain 90+ marks in all your subjects - then scaling won't effect you but you were the one who said scaling doesn't exist. People haven't been brain washed they're just aware that scaling EXISTS and that it can bring either a postive or negative result, depending on the amount of effort a student chooses to put in.

The only people who have been brain washed would have to be the students who base their subject selections purely on scaling.
dunno how completely brainwashed i am about ipt & english standard with their poorer scaling ...

noobsgetowned said:

hence why i chose ipt

btw youll win if your subject scales good/very well/ridiculously high and you are ranked very high/top in that subject like I am in Physics :)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
you make gettin a +90 in most of your subjects sound easy....

average= -ve scaling??

ithgout average AND above = +ve scaling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)