Scaling ??? (1 Viewer)

svenny

HSC
Inevitably this will come up in every after exam thoughts thread (well it has for my other subjects at least)

I think i got about 35-40 as a raw mark (its always impossible to guess with eng) What are the usual, and what do people think this years cut off for band e3 and e4 will be?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
I'd say if you got high 30s or above raw it's pretty definite you've got a Band E4.

TheHeretic

svenny said:
Inevitably this will come up in every after exam thoughts thread (well it has for my other subjects at least)

I think i got about 35-40 as a raw mark (its always impossible to guess with eng) What are the usual, and what do people think this years cut off for band e3 and e4 will be?
So if its impossible to guess why do you think you got 35-40?

nwatts

HSC
I only got a 42 as an internal, and my English teacher said that by itself would get an E4. Although she pushed me to push that mark up via today's exam, and unfortunately I think I failed her miserably.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Ummm, thats a bit misleading isnt it? My teacher was saying it works like this:
E1 - <25
E2 - 25-34
E3 - 35-44
E4 - 45-50

But maybe those are the moderate marks? i just didnt think the mark 30/50 would = E4, but i might be wrong.
Your teacher is talking about ALIGNED marks. I'm talking about RAW marks which would align to a 45/50 (E4).

In 2001, a raw mark of 34/50 in Extension English aligned to 45/50. These are, however, subject to change every year based on the overall quality of the candidature.

45/50 RAW would probably align to 47-49/50.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
nwatts said:
I only got a 42 as an internal, and my English teacher said that by itself would get an E4. Although she pushed me to push that mark up via today's exam, and unfortunately I think I failed her miserably.
It's ur HSC, the only person u can fail is urself, but generaly so long as u gave it all uve got, theres nothing more u can do!...Although u can hope ur teacher never finds out ur mark, which is porbably highly unlikely.

not to worry!..Im sure if ur internal was 42 a mark even as low as 33 in the exam would probably equate to a 42 moderated!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
c_james said:
Your teacher is talking about ALIGNED marks. I'm talking about RAW marks which would align to a 45/50 (E4).

In 2001, a raw mark of 34/50 in Extension English aligned to 45/50. These are, however, subject to change every year based on the overall quality of the candidature.

45/50 RAW would probably align to 47-49/50.
right, thought so...

as for raw marks, i have no idea?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
english is not the sort of game to worry about aligned marks because the marking scheme is just so subjective you cant pre-empt what you are going to get raw.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
blackfriday said:
english is not the sort of game to worry about aligned marks because the marking scheme is just so subjective you cant pre-empt what you are going to get raw.
Actually, you'll find the HSC exam for English is not as widly subjective as the differing marks between your internal teachers would lead you to believe.

A solid essay is a solid essay.

The requirement for double marking (and triple marking in the event that there's more than a 3 mark discrepancy) limits the amount of people who get screwed over by the system.

Subjective? Yes, like any humanities subject. Subjective to the point where utter crap to one teacher is a masterpiece to the next? No.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i mean its not like maths where you know exactly know what you're going to get. english is a tough one, because you never know which band your esay will fall into. school marks can be used as an indication but the weakness is that you're school teachers mark the name accompanying, not the actual paper (well at my school anyway), so it can lead to a false sense of security (or insecurity).

Captain pi

HSC
Aligning and Scaling

English Extension 1 is curious because you all do different topics which are marked in different teams (I believe). So I think there will be multiple processes involved: weighting, aligning, and scaling.

This is my belief of the process (Lazarus! Oh Lazarus! Where art thou?)
Weighting is done by the Board and affects the total weighted mark ("TWM") in the subject. Your weighted mark would (again, I think) be affected by how well people in your elective (Crime Fiction, Postmodernism, …) did in the Advanced Paper. So if everyone in Crime Fiction gets a Band 6 in English (Advanced) but only gets 20/50 raw, their total weighted mark would be altered. On second thoughts, I think the different weightings may be purely on how difficult the exam is. Nevertheless, the Judges may consider this.

The only data we have for aligning is for Lazarus (2001) who got 33/50 TWMwith an aligned mark of 44 and a 33.7/50 raw with an aligned mark of 45. It's pretty safe to say the E4 cut-off for 2001 was 34/50. I don't think this would change much in other years.

Scaling is definitely done by comparing the results of people in English Extension 1 in the Advanced Paper. So, if everyone has done really well in the Advanced Paper, but everyone goes really poorly in the Extension 1 paper, candidates' scaled marks will be high but not their aligned marks.

littlebinzy

How can anyone from any year possible know what their raw mark was? The board of studies doesn't release that stuff.

There is no way for you to guess scaling. There is no way for you to guess your raw mark. There is no way to figure out what you will get. You more than likely have other subjects to do, study for them instead of worrying about this crap.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
littlebinzy said:
How can anyone from any year possible know what their raw mark was? The board of studies doesn't release that stuff.

There is no way for you to guess scaling. There is no way for you to guess your raw mark. There is no way to figure out what you will get. You more than likely have other subjects to do, study for them instead of worrying about this crap.
It's called a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, champ. Check out the threads in the UAI Technical Arcana board regarding it.

And yes, we should all be studying for other subjects. But we're only human, y'know? Curiosity gets the better of us.

cimbom

HSC
... according to my teacher, a student in last year's EE1 class receiving a mark of 44/50 got E3, not E4.

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cimbom said:
... according to my teacher, a student in last year's EE1 class receiving a mark of 44/50 got E3, not E4.
I am almost certain that he/she was either mistaken OR talking about aligned HSC marks.

Last edited:

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
cimbom said:
Ah...no. 23% of the state got a Band E4 last year. I can guarantee you they did not all get raw marks of 44+.

This is what irritates me; ignorant teachers freaking out their students with inaccurate information.

cimbom

HSC
8| . The mark that they were sent, that the school received was 44/50. And they weren't listed on that honours roll thing- they didn't get E4. Who knows how it worked... but all i can tell you is that was their mark and apparently they just missed out on E4.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cimbom said:
8| . The mark that they were sent, that the school received was 44/50. And they weren't listed on that honours roll thing- they didn't get E4. Who knows how it worked... but all i can tell you is that was their mark and apparently they just missed out on E4.
yes, refer to the 6th post in this thread.

cimbom

HSC
fleepbasding said:
yes, refer to the 6th post in this thread.
- okay, so i've just kept with what highwayman was saying... is that all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)