scene 2 extract question (1 Viewer)

minty388

HSC
ciao ragazzi

got a quick question that im not too sure of...

after they almost hit the townspeople, do guido and ferruccio know/understand why they were all in the street cheering?? Do they know that they were there for the King or were they just confused?

Thankss

Matt5283

HSC
Guido and Ferruccio realise what is going on. In the scene there is the Monarchy's emblem on one of the flags and as they arrive people are heard to say "sta arrivando il re" (The King is arriving). Since it is a relatively formal ceremony (band, people in uniform etc.) and people salute him as if he were royalty it becomes clear to Guido when that they have mistaken him for the king as they shout VIVA! (mistakingly instead of his VIA!). Thus the reality becomes clear for Guido who remains dumbstruck by the people's ignorance of their king and queen. As such, he draws advantage of his situation to create an illusion in the following scene for Eleonora by imitating a Prince (since it is obvious noone knows enough about the monarch to question him).

I studied Italian Extension in the 2009 HSC and came 1st in the state with a mark of 100%. I am offering tutoring for all levels of Italian. Check out my website if interested or email me:

Sydney - Tutor in Economics, English, Essay Writing, Italian, Maths

matt_deca@hotmail.com</SPAN>

minty388

HSC
wow
very detailed response!!
thank you very much :) you've made my homework much easier!

minty388

HSC
will do :) thanks

i might be interested further towards the speaking exam in some conversation practice for extension and continuers... will be in touch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)