school affecting scaling? (1 Viewer)

KarmaKitten

HSC
How much does school scaling etc actually affect your mark.

Eg if you went to sydney girls, what would the effect be?

I just heard someone saying that going to certain schools makes a difference. is this true?

mack

Banned
HSC
It makes a difference with the rankings, for fairness. Its obviously going to be harder to rank first in a selective school than a non selective school.

olay

HSC
hey who do you think has a better chance of attaining a higher uai, assuming all other variables are the same?

a person going to a dinkydi school but coming first in all subjects

or a person going to a middle range school and as such, are doing pretty well, but not coming first?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
These things are pretty hard to be accurate with.

In certain cases being ranked first in a low acedemic school is better, and sometimes being ranked average in a top school is better.

But the bottomline is that the school has no effect of scaling. The Board of Studies doesn't take account of which school you attend. They simply use the marks.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
honestly... i think its very minor..
lik 0.5-1 UAI difference at the top end.. but then selective schools are realli competitive and high performing.. so its realli hard to judge.. just try ure hardest for the best marks possible..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The school you go to doesn't matter in the slightest. What does matter however is how your class as a whole performs.

This is good if you take subjects with relatively small classes within your school because you can push each other as a group to do well in the HSC, and consequently your mark for the subject will be higher, if you do well in the HSC as a group.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
olay said:
hey who do you think has a better chance of attaining a higher uai, assuming all other variables are the same?

a person going to a dinkydi school but coming first in all subjects

or a person going to a middle range school and as such, are doing pretty well, but not coming first?
Getting first in a "dinkydi" school just means that you absolutely cannot screw up your actual HSC exams, becase no one will be there to get you a higher assessment mark and thus higher HSC mark.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Zarathustra said:
What do you mean by 'dinkydi' - that mediocre schools are usually predominately anglo and that selective schools are asian? Or what exactly :confused:
I think they meant a school which isn't notable for its academic achievement by students, such as disadvantaged public schools in the western suburbs of sydney, in comparison to notable academic acheiving schools such as selective schools.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
When markers are marking, they get a bunch of papers, ideally, the bunch from the same school-placing in mind that there are only numbers that indicate to the markers where the location is. These numbers dont get distributed to the markers (for obviuos reasons). If the marker sees that in these bunch of papers, that everyone did well, then that is an indication that they are from an acedemically noted school.

olay

HSC
Raiks said:
I think they meant a school which isn't notable for its academic achievement by students, such as disadvantaged public schools in the western suburbs of sydney, in comparison to notable academic acheiving schools such as selective schools.
*nods* sorry zara, i wasn't refering to ethnicity or anything, nor areas.

Egh, i think i worded my question badly. let's try again...

ok going by a subject, and assuming that there is the same calibre of students in all the subjects a student takes...

is it better to rank in the middle of a group with an above average calibre of candidature [but not skyhigh]

or first in a group that performs quite poorly in comparison to the state?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
olay said:
*nods* sorry zara, i wasn't refering to ethnicity or anything, nor areas.

Egh, i think i worded my question badly. let's try again...

ok going by a subject, and assuming that there is the same calibre of students in all the subjects a student takes...

is it better to rank in the middle of a group with an above average calibre of candidature [but not skyhigh]

or first in a group that performs quite poorly in comparison to the state?
The school you go to doesn't matter in the slightest. What does matter however is how your class as a whole performs.

This is good if you take subjects with relatively small classes within your school because you can push each other as a group to do well in the HSC, and consequently your mark for the subject will be higher, if you do well in the HSC as a group.

olay

HSC
:D okkkk........i think we're going round in circles here. i understand/understood what you're saying... the first time round too.... but i'm refering to sthg else slightly different. let's just end it at that. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)