School Captain/ Vice Captain/ Prefects (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Hi guys, i've used the search function but i couldn't find the latest thread discussing people's thoughts/ideas for their interviews etc. This thread is for people who are thinking about trying out for a leadership position at school. :)

So guys post updates to your nomination process, elections, results etc.

Good luck.
dux&src

dux&src

HSC
Hi guys, i've used the search function but i couldn't find the latest thread discussing people's thoughts/ideas for their interviews etc. This thread is for people who are thinking about trying out for a leadership position at school. :)

So guys post updates to your nomination process, elections, results etc.

Good luck.
dux&src
Recently i found out i've been nominated and will be having my interview soon, i've accepted of course. :)
So far no one is definite for prefect.

I know what to expect for the interview, just don't know how i'm going to help the school exactly.

Guesss

HSC
congrats dux&src... our skool arent doing interviews... we have nominations but as of yet havent heard anything about speeches, info is supposed to be on our ceNet but it isnt there... but our skools trying some new system so we have a skool captian, then 4 vice-captains and the sports colour captains !

:)

dux&src

HSC
Interviews for prefects at ours :).
A new system hey? Four vice-captains? How many prefects?

most schools only have 1 vice captain. :)

dux&src

HSC
Wow lol. Your school really is competitive.

And i do hope that the Prefect who is repeating has a medical reason if not..

astroe

HSC
Have a funny speech and be nice to people I suppose.
It helps if you're seen around doing a lot of things - but you should be really doing stuff because you want to. :haha:

Like others have said, you need to earn respect and should show enough effort to deserving of such a privileged position.

Our system is pretty standard.
2 captains.
2 vices.
And remainder of Year 12 SRC members are prefects. (actually I'm not sure this is the norm. :haha:)

Guesss

HSC
Interviews for prefects at ours :).
A new system hey? Four vice-captains? How many prefects?

most schools only have 1 vice captain. :)
by prefects im assuming u mean class captains???

if thats wat ur referring to we have about 6...but they are the same ppl as this yr! Yup my skools retarded ! :D

lol

yoddle

is cool
HSC
At our school (private) we have two school captains, two vices and usually about 8 other Prefects. We have quite big roles in comparison to many other schools and have the power to give out detentions and have a roster patrolling the CBD etc etc.

I am Boys Vice Captain and here are my interview tips (I will be an interviewer this year):

1. BE YOURSELF. They smell a faker or someone who is telling them what they want to hear a mile away. E.g. the Vice-Headmaster asked me about my lack of involvement in compulsory sport and I answered honestly and sort of constructed a reasonable case and they laughed and said I was really good at avoiding them.

2. This may be bad advice, but don't be that prepared, it helps if you look like you're thinking about your questions properly.

3. Have lots of new, original ideas for stuff to do around the school (I didn't and it was really awkward)

4. Be realistic. They might give situations like 'you come to realise one of your classmates has been sneaking out at lunch, what do you do?'. Don't be like 'immediately tell the Headmaster and call for an expulsion', cos that's just ridiculous.

5. Smile and look relaxed, it shows you can talk to important people under pressure.

6. Yeah, Aerath is right, it's all well and good to say in Y11 that you can deal with all the sacrifices, but it's actually hard. Like having to attend every little grade seven music concert, participating in everything, organising socials, fairs, meetings, activities as well as upholding all the school uniform rules. And seriously, if you haven't had very much experience in leadership type stuff, don't go for School Captain. The girl this year was a totally random choice (the school likes to surprise) and she has no idea how to delegate and just has nervous breakdowns every week.

Bye bye.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
you guys actually aspire to be one of those 'I yell the school song loudest' pets
weirdo suck-ups with a proclivity for neat uniforms IMO

Tangent

HSC
Our school just has 4 reps from the grade- 1 school captain, 1 vice, and 2 senior SRC (This is public)

We have to get our grade in the hall, the 2 top classes from the year below and we have to do a speech. Afterwards everyone casts their votes.

Its gunna be fun

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
Yeh I'm going for leadership position. I know I won't get captain, but I'm gonna try anyway. That way I get brownie points.

Our school has 2 captains and 4 additional councillors. Then 2 house captains across 6 houses (for carnivals etc).

It's always good to go for leadership positions, do it for the glory, be seen. It's even better if you can be a leader without a badge, do good and receive only a warm fuzzy feeling. That's what I reckon.

:spin:

gella

HSC
rofl, i'm thinking of going for captain
about 100% certain i wont get it though

speedofsound

HSC
we don't have speeches or anything at our school, you just have to do canteen duty to be eligible to be nominated (and you can nominate yourself) then you type up a few paragraphs or so of why you should be prefect. then that gets put together in a booklet with all the other potential prefects pages and the grade and staff vote for maximum 12 people to be elected for prefects.

allira92

HSC
our school has 6 'year leaders' in yr 7-11 , one leader per grade for each portfolio and then yr 12 has 2 captians, 6 portfolio leaders and then 6 yr 12 reps.
our time as captains etc goes from Aug- Aug so that the current yr 12 leaders can be free for their Hsc.

the teachers choose all the leaders and the 14 yr 12 leaders go away on a camp and vote amoungst themselves for the captains

dux&src

HSC
rofl, i'm thinking of going for captain
about 100% certain i wont get it though
Good on you. Good luck.

How is the captain/ leader determined at your school?

dux&src

HSC
our school has 6 'year leaders' in yr 7-11 , one leader per grade for each portfolio and then yr 12 has 2 captians, 6 portfolio leaders and then 6 yr 12 reps.
our time as captains etc goes from Aug- Aug so that the current yr 12 leaders can be free for their Hsc.

the teachers choose all the leaders and the 14 yr 12 leaders go away on a camp and vote amoungst themselves for the captains
Curious as to what portfolios you are talking about? Sounds a bit like parliament house lol..

speedofsound

HSC
Curious as to what portfolios you are talking about? Sounds a bit like parliament house lol..
yeah i reckon... how seriously school leadership is taken in some schools is kind of frightening lol.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Us Prefects at SBHS have different portfolios as well. Someone handles library, someone handles canteen, someone handles Rugby, Rowing etc, all the sports, someone handles Charities etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)