School changes ur internal mark? (1 Viewer)

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
How would you know if ur school has altered ('accidentally' *wink wink*) ur internal school mark/rank when receiving ur atar?

is there anyway to know?

1981Grant

HSC
Most school's wouldn't do that because it's dishonest/illegal and surprisingly easy to tell. I'm sure if you monitored your ranks and results throughout the year it wouldn't be difficult to see the change (if they did).

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
so how exactly do u tell when receiving ur atar?

i have been keeping track and all, but do they tell u what the school has submitted as ur rank/internal?

and i really dont want to hear about how "they would never do that"

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
doesn't make sense

they had to submit those ages ago and you had a chance to look over your ranks on the bos website, if something was wrong with it you should've informed the school/bos then, too late now to worry.

D94

HSC
N/A
If they changed an individual's mark then there would be cause for concern, but changing the whole cohort would make little (if any) impact because marks are moderated according to the HSC exam performance. So long as ranks are correct, and the gap difference between ranks are correct, then changing the whole cohort up or down wouldn't make any difference.

1981Grant

HSC
You were meant to check if your assessment ranks were right on Students Online in the My details tab after the end of exams.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Too late to check now - the closing date for this past weeks ago. If you didn't do it then that is your fault - the dates were in the HSC guide you were given at the beginning of the year - your have to take some responsibility to check these things.

Schools can change marks but only if whatever they do to one mark in the cohort is done to all of them. They can't change rank order or relative gaps.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
so im not allowed to check now?
wouldnt it be still on the website?

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
i find it a bit ridiculous that the only source to tell u to check them was something given at the start of the year :/

Aaron6693

HSC
They actually announced it on the Board of Studies numerous times for you to check, and also emails were sent out to let you know that ranks were up.

Im pretty sure that the Students Online website is inaccessible atm in the lead up to results being released, so you cant check. Also, like others have said already, its way too late for them to alter them now considering there was a deadline.

At the end of the day, the school wouldnt have been able to change your ranks/relative gaps, so there isn't a need to worry :)

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
They actually announced it on the Board of Studies numerous times for you to check, and also emails were sent out to let you know that ranks were up.

Im pretty sure that the Students Online website is inaccessible atm in the lead up to results being released, so you cant check. Also, like others have said already, its way too late for them to alter them now considering there was a deadline.

At the end of the day, the school wouldnt have been able to change your ranks/relative gaps, so there isn't a need to worry :)
no u can still access students onlne.. just checked
they have all my courses up but the results arent there

and i never received ONE email! did u receive them by the school? if so, they didnt send out any to me...
although, i do remember clearly going on this site and checking my details out (a few weeks back) and my results were never up there :/

Aaron6693

HSC
Oh my bad, it must have just been for the roll out off new HSC pins :p
There was a tab on the side that said something like "Assessment Ranks", but im pretty sure they removed that for whatever reason. They did specify that there was a deadline, so there wouldnt be a point in you seeing them anyways. Generally, they're included on your school report as well, at least at our school, so if you check that those will almost definitely be the ranks they reported to the BOS.

And did you ever receive emails for the Board of Studies specifically about the Students Online website; coz I did and it says "Key Dates- 11th November Assessment Ranks available in My Details"

Last edited:

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Oh my bad, it must have just been for the roll out off new HSC pins :p
There was a tab on the side that said something like "Assessment Ranks", but im pretty sure they removed that for whatever reason. They did specify that there was a deadline anyways, so there wouldnt be a point in you seeing them anyways. Generally, they're included on your school report anyway, at least ay our school.

And did you ever receive emails for the Board of Studies specifically about the Students Online website; coz I did and it says "Key Dates- 11th November Assessment Ranks available in My Details"
why would the Board even have my email though?
i dont remember ever giving it to them

and no i never received any of that

Aaron6693

HSC
Lol well with Students Online, you'd give them your email and they'd send that stuff too you. Just like how you can give them your phone number and they can send your HSC results to you by SMS.

But either way, your ranks would have stayed the same as stated on your school report, so they wouldnt have been changed on purpose. Its too late now anyway, if you had concerns you were supposed to contact the school ASAP to make sure everything is fine. In saying that, everything will most likely be fine! :)

jmel93

HSC
Schools can change marks but only if whatever they do to one mark in the cohort is done to all of them. They can't change rank order or relative gaps.
Ok... for legal studies I was sick on the day of one of my internal exams (which was on a friday), consequently, I sat my exam on a monday leaving me a weekend to study. I ended up coming first in the class but the teacher said she would change my rank if I did disproportionately badly in the next exam (because I had an extra weekend to study.) I got 93 in this exam but only 78 in the next, I don't know whether my internal rank was changed. Furthermore, with this teacher (on a separate incident) I found my rank as 12th on my report but in reality it was 6th (she changed this after I mentioned it.) Are teachers allowed to change ranks in the previous circumstance and should I be concerned about this teacher?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ok... for legal studies I was sick on the day of one of my internal exams (which was on a friday), consequently, I sat my exam on a monday leaving me a weekend to study. I ended up coming first in the class but the teacher said she would change my rank if I did disproportionately badly in the next exam (because I had an extra weekend to study.) I got 93 in this exam but only 78 in the next, I don't know whether my internal rank was changed. Furthermore, with this teacher (on a separate incident) I found my rank as 12th on my report but in reality it was 6th (she changed this after I mentioned it.) Are teachers allowed to change ranks in the previous circumstance and should I be concerned about this teacher?

If a student doesn't sit an assessment task at the same time as the rest of the class - yes schools can adjust assessment task marks to ensure fairness. You had an extra two days to study which gave you an advantage. What should have been made clear is that that task wouldn't be finalised until all your tasks were finalised and then they award you a mark for that task that slots you in with the rest of the cohort at the right place based on how you went on the other tasks and where you slotted.

I wouldn't be concerned. Unfortunately I do think that sometimes students forget that teachers are human and we make mistakes. When the mistake is pointed out, in an appropriate manner, most teachers I know would fix the problem and apologise for causing it. Certainly that is my approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)