School effecting ATAR? (1 Viewer)

MAXSW

HSC
Hello,

I'm currently in year 11 and in a 250s ranked high school in NSW, I'm planining to get 90+ ATAR for my HSC and unfortunately I'm in a crap school with lots of drop-kicks which is not so good. I do:

Ext 1 Maths
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Maths Advanced

and in every subject there are a few hard working student. can my school ruin my dream of a nice atar even if i work fairly hard?

thanks

Arrowshaft

HSC
I’m in the exact same boat as you, I’m in prelims and my school is ranked in the 250’s and I do

3U Maths
Phys
Bio
Chem

I would like to know the answer to the question as well

c8

HSC
if you work hard and rank highly in all your subjects it won't affect you. but you should know that your cohort can drag you down. it is possible to get 90+ atar at schools that aren't ranked highly if you work hard and aim to be in the top 1-5 in each of your subjects

MAXSW

HSC
I’m in the exact same boat as you, I’m in prelims and my school is ranked in the 250’s and I do

3U Maths
Phys
Bio
Chem

I would like to know the answer to the question as well
wow... am i you or are u me? ;)

MAXSW

HSC
if you work hard and rank highly in all your subjects it won't affect you. but you should know that your cohort can drag you down. it is possible to get 90+ atar at schools that aren't ranked highly if you work hard and aim to be in the top 1-5 in each of your subjects
thank you... i'm also looking for other people answering this matter.

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Get in the top bands and in the top ranks and your school won't really affect your ATAR. Pretty much was c8 said

MAXSW

HSC
Get in the top bands and in the top ranks and your school won't really affect your ATAR. Pretty much was c8 said
won't really affect your ATAR

this is the part that freaks me out. I can change my school right now! is it worth it?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you're first you won't be affected at all since first place's assessment mark is the highest external mark as well. My friend from a school around urs got 99.75 and another one in ranked 400s got in the 95s for atar so dw

Ace0804

HSC
Yea the only downside to not going to a selective school, is that your not getting the competitiion with ranks, that makes you want to study harder. Although if you are motivated enough, then you can any atar you want, just make sure if your 2nd or 3rd, the people above u, are not going to fuck up their hsc and are going to study

fluffchuck

HSC
don't worry, my school's rank was 250+ and I still managed to get a decent atar, just make sure you get good rankings

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you work hard, and after trials share your notes and resources then you can succeed in getting a good ATAR. At the end of the day it is not the school as such that sets the ATAR, rather the performance of students within the school. Plus if you rank first then you set how well you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)