Science MC- Astronomy question (1 Viewer)

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
What did you guys put as the answer for the question that said that the scientists went to antartica which was 4000 metres above sea level.

I said :

b) Since the area was unpolluted, images of stars would be much clearer

I can't remmeber the question to the exact... But what did you write?

My teacher thinks its 4... Which was the higher the height.. the better the image of stars. -.- that's wrong, Because we already have the technology to look at stars millions and millions of kilometres away. An extra 4000 metres wouldnt make MUCH difference.

And the correct answer should be B) because, In the cities or country or w/e you are.. the lights from cities pollute the sky making it hard to see stars and get good images of stars. If you go to antartica, there would be no pollution there since there no light from cities (lol).

By the way, We went thru all the multiple choice questions today. I got SIMPLE questions fucked up so badly. I had them correct but i crossed them out and circled somthing else. Pissed off with my self.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Isho said:
What did you guys put as the answer for the question that said that the scientists went to antartica which was 4000 metres above sea level.

I said :

My teacher thinks its 4... Which was the higher the height.. the better the image of stars. -.- that's wrong, Because we already have the technology to look at stars millions and millions of kilometres away. An extra 4000 metres wouldnt make MUCH difference.

And the correct answer should be B) because, In the cities or country or w/e you are.. the lights from cities pollute the sky making it hard to see stars and get good images of stars. If you go to antartica, there would be no pollution there since there no light from cities (lol).

By the way, We went thru all the multiple choice questions today. I got SIMPLE questions fucked up so badly. I had them correct but i crossed them out and circled somthing else. Pissed off with my self.
I wrote the pollution one as well. And I hate it when you change it to the wrong answer, I know I did that once in the history already >O

And I did that heaps for the English trials. Grr.

victoria10

HSC
i think i put b :)

yay

that was guess as well.
my b or c theory.

ziki

HSC
i put B as well.. but i was thinking, could it really be that hole? cause with a hole in ozone would make it easier looking at stars..

lolman12567

HSC
i put D :( only because from the info we were given it didnt say much about cities and light but it said stuff about altitude so i put D

SSBM

HSC
i put the ozone one

my reasoning was that antartica isn't the only place without cities and stuff... couldn't they have just made it in the middle of the desert or something?

but looking back on it it does seem fairly stupid, should've gone with my gut on the pollution one

Somnolence

HSC
It said the observatory was controlled by satellite, so I assumed that it had something to do with electromagnetic radiation. The Ozone hole answer seemed a bit dodgy, but I put it down anyway because it just seemed to fit best.

studentcheese

HSC
Isho said:

I said :

'Because of the height, dryness and stillness at Dome C, the Earth's atmosphere doesn't affect the light from stars in the same way it does at other sites.'
Source: http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/enviro/EnviroRepublish_1198095.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]'As we look further out into the universe, the light from the galaxies is red-shifted into the infrared—it becomes “heat radiation”. Consequently, to see the faintest galaxies, our telescopes, and the sky they look through, have to be as cold as possible. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]The best location on the Earth’s surface for infrared astronomy is Antarctica. We have proven this through eight years of a joint Australian-US site-testing program at the geographic South Pole. The sky at the Pole is between 20 and 100 times darker in the infrared than at any existing ground-based observatory.'
Source: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jacara/dmt/mawson.php

[/FONT]'Most of us know that Antarctica is the coldest continent, but few know that it is also the highest and driest continent. These extremes of temperature, elevation and aridity are assets to those who study a particular branch of astronomy known as infrared astronomy.'
http://www.science.org.au/nova/065/065key.htm

All three sources show that Antarctica is chosen for astronomical observations because of:

A) elevation
B) temperature
C) dryness

i put D :( only because from the info we were given it didnt say much about cities and light but it said stuff about altitude so i put D
You might be correct.

Cardea

HSC
I'm so happy I actually changed my answer from D to B at the last minute.. D was kind of dodgy, but at the time it made sense.

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
I put B also. Friend of mine keeps insisting its the ozone layer one. lol

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
LtPhoenix said:
apparently, my science teacher says its the ozone one.
LOL really? Cos my head of science teacher said it was the pollution one. Another science teacher said " the ozone was only there to trick you".

Cardea

HSC
bilzarkian said:
Still hanging out and hoping its D. I went on the information giving and it didn't say anything about pollution. Figured since learning about observatorys in antartica wasn't in the sylabus they wouldn't expect us to know the answer without the information. option D said because of its altitude and polar location. If you want to get technical its polar location could include hole in ozone layer and little pollution. Anybody remeber the other option apart from hole in ozone, little pollution and altitude and polar location?? Was it to do with the cold??
I think it was something to do with how Antarctica is cold, but that was obviously wrong. Hmm, see, I think the logical answer would be because of limited pollution. Antarctica isn't inhabited and would therefore emit less pollution than other areas. You can get high altitudes anywhere you choose, why Antarctica? And as for polar location.. I suppose there may be some merit in that, but that way it was worded. I remember thinking about it and it just sounded wrong. It said something like the altitude and polar location means that it would be closer to some stars so that we could see them better. Whereas the limited pollution one said that we could obtain clearer images. From that alone, B sounds like the better answer.

studentcheese

HSC
Altitude and temperature are the two main reasons according to the internet. D sounds like a better option, because these questions are supposed to draw upon skill with reading stimulus material. There is nothing on pollution in the stimulus material. In addition, pollution is not a main reason according to the internet anyway. Google it and tell me what else you find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)