screwed up my life, help please... (1 Viewer)

stinkbeetles

HSC
I just did my extension math exam today and had a mini panic attack when i couldnt do a few questions.
usually im sure id be able to do it but i lost 11 marks because i couldnt do it
i'm really upset now and i really need to know if its going to immediately pull my overall hsc mark down..
can i still get over 90 percent? i really need to know
i'm pretty sure this happened because i had a sudden stress attack or something i dont know...

enoilgam

HSC
I just did my extension math exam today and had a mini panic attack when i couldnt do a few questions.
i'm really upset now and i really need to know if its going to immediately pull my overall hsc mark down..
i'm pretty sure this happened because i had a sudden stress attack or something i dont know...
If you had a panic attack, you could make an application for special consideration (not sure on the procedure here). Since it's only your first exam, you have enough time to fix the problem and potentially get over 90.

evilcupcake

HSC
Remember it's about rank, doesn't mean your life is screwed. If you get a crappy rank for this assessment, then just improve it over the year

2xL

HSC
Calm down, it's only the beginning, I bet it wasn't even weighted at over 15%. Still plenty of time to make it up. It's a long road, no point giving up just when you've begun.

D94

HSC
N/A
Remember it's about rank, doesn't mean your life is screwed. If you get a crappy rank for this assessment, then just improve it over the year
Your marks are still important. Simply put, coming say 5th by 2 marks puts you in a better position than coming 5th by 20 marks. You can have a crap rank and easily get over 90, e.g. the mark difference between rank 1 and rank 50 is only 1 mark, and you all perform well in the HSC.

Aysce

HSC
Calm down, it's only the beginning, I bet it wasn't even weighted at over 15%. Still plenty of time to make it up. It's a long road, no point giving up just when you've begun.
This.

As hard as it sounds, you just have to forget about it and make sure it doesn't happen next time. You still have many assessments to go and as 2xL said, there is no point giving up when it's all just begun.

Good luck.

HSC
if you stuffed it, chances are 1 million other people did too. At the end of the day it's all about ranks.

jenslekman

HSC
don't worry - you stuffed up one test only. i pretty much failed my first hsc assessment which was worth 25% and i had a panic attack half way through my first 4unit maths exam and just blanked second half of the test (literally). but after finishing the hsc, i'm pretty sure i got into the 90s for both of the subjects. i'm not srue what you are aiming for, but the exam is definitely not worth worrying about. just breathe to calm yourself next exam :D if anything, you should use this exam as motivation to do better in the future :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, what's the weighting of your assessment?

Well, if the first assessment is only 10% to your school INTERNAL mark (5% to your WHOLE internal + external mark in a sense), it might reduce the detrimental effect of whatever mark you might get. If it's like 25% then it might be more of a problem but you still have 3 to 4 assessments left.

But yeah, I'm sure I'd feel the same as well if I was in your situation.

WALTAWHITE

HSC
don't worry - you stuffed up one test only. i pretty much failed my first hsc assessment which was worth 25% and i had a panic attack half way through my first 4unit maths exam and just blanked second half of the test (literally). but after finishing the hsc, i'm pretty sure i got into the 90s for both of the subjects. i'm not srue what you are aiming for, but the exam is definitely not worth worrying about. just breathe to calm yourself next exam :D if anything, you should use this exam as motivation to do better in the future :)
Same here, man. I fucked up my first 4u test due to just not doing enough work first term. Came 4th or 5th out of 15 people (at the time), but ended up coming first in course at my school.

jnney

lemon
HSC
You haven't screwed up your life. I remember losing more than 11 marks in my first maths exams - both mx1 and 2, but you'll finish out great if you maintain your consistency. Chances are, many other people have stuffed up too, and that trend will continue as it is throughout your HSC period. Now you might be in disbelief to what anyone has said here, but just take our word. Stop crying over this one exam because there is nothing you can do about it now and it's time to focus on how you can perform better, as well as your future assessments.

Also, it is important to think about why you had that stress attack, and ways to prevent it/reduce it happening again. Because chances are that if you don't, it may come back again.

Another thing you might want to note is that you're not always going to be able to answer every single question, and your goals might not always be met. Don't take it too hard on yourself. Doing your best is all that anyone can ask from you and all that you can ask from yourself - and that is completely fine and okay. Stressing over it is going to make matters worse and warp your perceptions of things, and you do not want to have a huge melt down as a result of this build up.

Calm down, everything is okay. You did what you could.

Chances are that your first assessment had a very low weighting - and so it shouldn't affect your overall HSC mark very much at all, and, your final HSC exam also contributes 50% to that score.

Good luck for your HSC! :)

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You haven't screwed up your life. I remember losing more than 11 marks in my first maths exams - both mx1 and 2, but you'll finish out great if you maintain your consistency. Chances are, many other people have stuffed up too, and that trend will continue as it is throughout your HSC period. Now you might be in disbelief to what anyone has said here, but just take our word. Stop crying over this one exam because there is nothing you can do about it now and it's time to focus on how you can perform better, as well as your future assessments.

Also, it is important to think about why you had that stress attack, and ways to prevent it/reduce it happening again. Because chances are that if you don't, it may come back again.

Another thing you might want to note is that you're not always going to be able to answer every single question, and your goals might not always be met. Don't take it too hard on yourself. Doing your best is all that anyone can ask from you and all that you can ask from yourself - and that is completely fine and okay. Stressing over it is going to make matters worse and warp your perceptions of things, and you do not want to have a huge melt down as a result of this build up.

Calm down, everything is okay. You did what you could.

Chances are that your first assessment had a very low weighting - and so it shouldn't affect your overall HSC mark very much at all, and, your final HSC exam also contributes 50% to that score.

Good luck for your HSC! :)
Great post jnney - this is why we need rep back.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I BOMBED THE FUCK OUT in my HSC exam for Maths extension one. Before the test I was set to get ~97 (apparently) but had a panic attack and ended up with 87 (which was ~60%) and then still got 90 overall for it. Don't stress. You'll be fine.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
Having a attitute where semi-bombing out a maths exam is the end of your life, you are setting yourself up for failure. Honestly with the marks that you lost, there still would be people out there who would aspire to be as good as you at mathematics. You really need to grow up and look at things with more maturity imo.

UpAndAtThem

HSC
Having a attitute where semi-bombing out a maths exam is the end of your life, you are setting yourself up for failure. Honestly with the marks that you lost, there still would be people out there who would aspire to be as good as you at mathematics. You really need to grow up and look at things with more maturity imo.
THIS IS WHY WE NEED THE REP SYSTEM!!...best answer so far

Capt Rifle

HSC
Just relax, and don't do it again. Use the coming holidays to study hard, and to never bomb out like that again. If the exam had hard questions that you couldn't do as you studied easier questions, then take out the Cambridge and use it to your advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)