Script Writers! (1 Viewer)

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Script Writers, please, share your current progress here, and I'm thinking we could post works in progress for criticism... (yes, I know there is only like 3 people around here doing scripts of any kind)
Feel free to share agony about writers block and the unfairness of editor/teachers who tell you to scrap it and start again!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yay!! Our own script writers forum -- wow how cool.

Josie, what are you doing your screenplay on? mines on cross cultural communications in Australia. :) and what school do you go to? I'm at turramurra high in sydney

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I'm doing a drama script, on Howard and the mess he's made over Iraq :D. Smiths hill, in Wollongong.
Yay for our own thread.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Im also doing a drama script, on what motivates people to undertake certain actions that society and morals dont agree with, and the confrontation and consequences of those actions.

Ummm, bit confused: I read in the syllabus it has to be about 300mins performance time...what does that translate to in word limit terms?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
30 minute screenplay is about 45 pages in length normally but cos the stupid syllabus wants everything double spaced, i'd say we're looking about 60-70 pages which i know is a lot. :s

just double check the specifications on drama script and film script. also, drama scripts can be shorter than screenplays but it depends on how much detail you put and i'm presuming that should be a fair bit

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Yeah, because I like to have good control over the setting as much as the dialogue - a bit of a control freak :) So I suppose around the same length as a short story- 8000 wrds?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i'd suppose so -- hmm... actually probably longer, cos short stories are usually 45 pages double spaced at 8000

so yeah, i'd be looking for more than that

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hmm. According to my supervisor, One page is approximately a minute in performance time for a drama script, and he's been telling students that for years and they haven't been under...

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
P.S I have a final draft due like next week, and I have basically nothing. And its pissing me off. Damn these people who have "just started" or are "formulating" their ideas...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
perhaps the time of a drama script and a screen play differs, which i would imagine it does. on a screenplay you have to specify all your camera work and stuff, which takes up a lot of space on paper.

i have 4000 words due tommorow - HA!

pigs may fly someday.

Josie, if you would like someone to read over a draft, just PM me and i'd be happy to help. :)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Thanks heaps guys :) YOu'd hate me but I don't really have a due date for my draft...but Im so lazy I better start now- thats my problem, starting it!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg
perhaps the time of a drama script and a screen play differs, which i would imagine it does. on a screenplay you have to specify all your camera work and stuff, which takes up a lot of space on paper.

i have 4000 words due tommorow - HA!

pigs may fly someday.

Josie, if you would like someone to read over a draft, just PM me and i'd be happy to help. :)
Lol, Sunday night, it's a date

My second viva voce/draft is due thursday!!!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
yikes thursday. our teacher was kind enough to put our first viva to week 7. lol

i'm proud to say that i did my 4000 words though. :) why do you have to do 2 vivas?

crazycarrie

Hey, I'm a new chicken and I'm a tad confuzzled. What's this about a stage script being 60-70 pgs long??? I thought it couldn't be above 30! I'm doing an absurdist drama script with a bit of film encorporated into it. What's eveyone else doing?:D

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by crazycarrie
Hey, I'm a new chicken and I'm a tad confuzzled. What's this about a stage script being 60-70 pgs long??? I thought it couldn't be above 30! I'm doing an absurdist drama script with a bit of film encorporated into it. What's eveyone else doing?:D
Don't forget it is double spaced.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i think the rules are different for drama script from film script so i suggest you double check the syllabus... hang on i lie.

here is the syllabus extract. i suggest to everyone though for more information you see page 133 of the syllabus for more information...

Scripts Radio, Film, Television and Drama
Students must develop a script of a complete work for the medium of radio, film,
television or drama. The intended performance time for the script must be 2030
minutes. A Reflection Statement must also be submitted with the work.
Presentation
The script must be typed with double spacing onto A4 size paper.
Scriptwriting conventions appropriate to the medium should be followed.
Font should be size 12, Arial or Times New Roman.
Each page should be numbered.
A cover sheet should be included which states the centre number and candidate
number and the title of the work(s).

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg
yikes thursday. our teacher was kind enough to put our first viva to week 7. lol

i'm proud to say that i did my 4000 words though. :) why do you have to do 2 vivas?
Just to push us along, and so we don't have one great big viva, both are worth 10%.

As a point of note: I've got 2540 for 10 pages.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
My teacher's a bit slack, so we've only had one assessment so far - we just had to give a presentation on our progress so far (and that was at the start of the year, so nobody really had any progress). We were supposed to have a vive voce last term, but that never happened so, y'know, whatever.

And people doing film scripts, does anyone know if it's cheating to use a computer program that automatically formats your script? Cos I've found this program called Final Draft that makes everything US standard script style. Should I still do research on formatting anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)