SDA Union. (1 Viewer)

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Hello guys, Ive got a question regarding the SDA Union. Ive been with them for a year - Im a casual employee. My questions are;
1. What the hell do they do for us, I mean can they still do anything with the new laws that have come in to effect.
2. Does this SDA really suit acasual employee who works on average once every week (4 hours) (excluding holidays).
3. How can i deregister from the SDA and what do i have to do so they stop taking $$$.

Thank you.

maryanne16

on the other side of your computer screen
HSC
Hey...I'm a casual employee myself and was once a member of the SDA Union. Quite frankly, I've heard stories from people about problems they've encountered at work and when they turned to SDA they either told them to wait or its to late to act upon it blah blah blah...Personally, as a casual member yourself it's better if you resign out of the union bcoz it pretty expensive and the chances of u encountering a major problem at work is slim due to the fact that you're only casual. But it is totally your decision. What I did to resign out of SDA was told my Operations Manager and the Cash office( whoever is paying you) that you no longer want to be part of the SDA, then once that's all done send a resignation letter to Gerard Dwyer and voila!!... Make sure you check your next payslip just in case they're still deducting union fees....Gud Luck!!

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Yeah I might resign from it. Like, I dont see them doing anything for me, and as a casual employee, I really dont care if i get the sack or something like that. Thank you for the reply.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Don't.
I work for the SDA and our delegates are out all day every day in Sydney trying to sort shit out.
Truth is, there's a lot of insurance they have to pay for workers and legal services. Just pay your fees. It's tax-deductable and good insurance against unfair dismissal.

dYnaMiC7

HSC
Imstill thinking about it but I think I will resign. Seriously, I dont see any need in me being with the SDA, like if i get the sack, I dont really care as its just a 'casual' job.

maryanne16, I dont know who works out the pay thing, but what about if i right a letter and leave it in the cash office and write a letter to Dwyer, would that be enough?

thank you.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
If you want to stop, ask your Cash Office people to stop the deductions (if you don't know who they are, I'd just ask around).

If your only working 4 hours a week, there isnt really much point. I'm a member put I'm working 12+ hours a week.

The SDA are always doing stuff, it just dosent affect people personally. the union takes care of wage negotiations and working conditions (such as breaks, penalty rates etc.) And if you get fired for some unfair reason, the SDA will take it up on your behalf.

The fees are tax deductable, so if you earn enough, you'll get money back, but if your working only 4 hr p/w, it seems unlikely you'll earn enough (unless you have a kick ass pay rate)

maryanne16

on the other side of your computer screen
HSC
to: dynamic7...umm try talking to a person in the cash office...if not then yeah id write a letter to the cash office about ur resignation from sda and then write one to Dwyer...no offence to that person who works in sda thats a member of this forum but i think SDA only want to sort out the most major issues and just 'brush off' those encoutering 'minor' problems at work.. :p but hey, thats just my opinion..

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Yeh I paid my fees for like 2 years then was like.. I'm never going to get anything out of this because I'm only a casual.. I wrote a letter saying something along the lines of 'I (insert my name here) resign from the SDA union' signed and dated it and then next week they stopped taking money from me.. except for some reason I still get sent a membership card every year... not that it does anything.
It's approaching my 5 years at woolies.. and I'm still a casual.. I'm a supervisor and get all the shifts I ask for (unless they are contracted) and get any days off I want.. I doubt they would be firing me anytime soon.. ahh the good life.

canberra_guy

HSC
what fee? how much is it? i recently got a job at a new woolworths store and signed up for them. i didn't hear about any fee. are they taking it out of my pay.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I was a member fr 3 weeks until I quit because of the fees. Such a waste. Especially since I am only 17. This is no my life long job nor do I rely on it. Also I an casual.

^
yes it costs from memory it is
0-9 hours ($4.95)
10-19 hours ($9.95)
20+ ($30)

It's probably alot more and definite not worth it

powlmao

Banned
HSC
To state in my opinion it's not worth it as I am still a child, hence am not reliant on my job

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Did 4 years in retail during uni, did not join (I think everyone else at the store did)

felt good man

powlmao

Banned
HSC

canberra_guy

HSC
oh ffs. how stupid of me to join them lol. didn't see hear about any fee. are they taking it out of my pay? does anyone know how to cancel the membership?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
When you get paid each week it will be deducted out if your pay. If you want to cancel leave a note in the cash office

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)