SDD Chosen Language (1 Viewer)

Dude

HSC
I waz wondering (hmmm...), what language did ppl learn @ school?? I done VB but I think there are better ones 2 learn?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
last year we used VB and C++
it realli depends on wat ur school has (or can afford)

sunny

meh.
HSC
We use VB and Pascal as well. I think they're the two most common ones.

I know some only use Delphi or VC++.

Especially for VC++ I find a strange choice though, its not going to easy to teach people how to use it well in such a short time!

fatmuscle

HSC
using Macintosh computers

Future Basic II
and Java

learn JAVA!!!

Morgues

Pascal mostly...........i think its the best one to learn as it is so similar to pseudocode

T

tactic

we didnt do pracs in sdd.. i taught my self php for my final project.. i went to emmaus.. they didnt care about their year12's only about their year7's.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yea some Java is a good idea, there were Javascript/Java question in past papers. But if you know C.......

T

tactic

if you want help with C++, PHP or JAVA you can ask here.

Morgues

I don't think we need to know any specific language for the hsc.........just pseudocode

sunny

meh.
HSC
VB is easy to pick up on, and one of the reasons I think its a better choice. C/C++ takes years to master, and unless students already have some background in it, its not going to be particularly easy teaching everyone how to use it effectively, especially if the school choses to use something that resembles an atomic clock like VC++ and not to mention that not all students who do SDD are very programming literate.

Then like you said theres the time constraints, VB + RAD + caffeine is just perfect for that late night rush!

I've done VB for about 4 years, and I have been taking courses with Sun to learn Java and I feel fine with both.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
We're doing pascal at the moment and we're going to be doing VB. I think pascal is really good because it teaches you the basic concepts and learning C or Java won't be too hard because of that.

xarg

BUBZ :D
HSC
my two cents...

VB is one of the easiest languages I've ever learned, normally you have to type out all the stuff, VB has pulldown menus and buttons and all that sort of thing. I think someone that was virtually computer illiterate could have done my VB assessment task (and i think tim will back me up on that). Pascal is in my opinion reasonably straightforward but then again I'd done QBasic before and it's very similar to that, with slightly different syntax. For someone that just wants to get a feel of how to program then these are fine, however I'd have to say that for doing any real work C++ or java is the way to go. Doing java at uni, many people are struggling because they haven't done programming before..

sunny

meh.
HSC
hehe...I feel one of those VB vs C threads around the corner...:D

Though its true that VB lacks real power in some cases, you can get things done much quicker and easier. Some people see VB as a newbie language, but then again, theres programs that are just as simple written in C, and programs just as complex written with VB. I think its just that alot of the time VB is the mainstream starting language for most people so the idea we get from it is its not very good.

In the real world, if the app being developed isn't some high end 3D game then VB might be better considering the time needed to write an app in VB is much shorter in most cases than to write the equivalent in C.

As for Java.....I think the JVMs needs a tad more speed :D Alot of people say that migrating from VB to one of the OO languages is really hard, though I don't think thats the case, if they've done OO work in VB before, the same ideas can be applied in C++ and Java and shouldn't be all that difficult.

T

tactic

soon people wont be using language because they run faster.. because once .NET becomes more common people will use whats easy.. c++ and VB run exactly the same speed on .net and so will all the otehr languages they are converting.

pulse

meh

case tools are good when you dont wont to spend too much time on stuff. we used vb and im not really complaining. im under the impression ill learn at lot more at uni. ... so no one spoil it for me

hys

auscentral.com|auspal.com
We didnt really learn anything, our teacher isnt a proper teacher and he marks our exams as ENGLISH TESTS...

but i taught myself VB6

and programmed my project in VB.NET

using VB and HTML

and my teachers complaining because VB.NET just came out and that you need to install a 20 MB (run time file for VB>NET)

ruey

vb is for a rad process, and more for your data driven solutions,

whereas c++ is more for your heavy system interaction apps handling memory possies etc and is just more hardware minded,

honestly u should learn easy languages first, the whole point is to learn the solution structure and development process and how to go about implementing solutions, after you get all that done, its just a bunch of bullshit syntax

and as hys said, our techer does not teach.

he sets assignments etc and as a teacher does and then marks them, but how can you mark something you know nothing about??

seems to me its hard to find a software dev teacher, because if you do know all that is required, why the fuck are you a teacher instead of a dev working for compaq?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)