section 2: spartan society (1 Viewer)

what did you guys think of this section???

i found the exam generally okay except for sparta
were any of you able to answer the last one on religion well? i had absolutely no idea on that one :(
i reckon that was easily the hardest 10 marker so far

apollo

i found it relatively easy

had i relied on what we did in class, i'd have been screwed
but i studied the whole of the spartan society syllabus at home several times over the last month...

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah, i looked at it, and thought NO WAY. i would have gotten even less marks on that than for the essay in the other section.

adah

We didnt learn religion in all that depth but in our half yearly we all screwed religion up, so we relearnt it. If it wasnt for that I would of been screwed but I like it as I knew what I was saying. I dont think I refered to the source enough though

Left-ism

HSC
it was ok actually....when i first saw it i was like wtf...but yeh turned out alright

Leon585

HSC
is this the booklet thingo, sif that is enough to write ur whole reponse on eh! fecking cheap bos! fecking education cuts!

sillychikki

HSC
yeah i thought the religion question was hard, so i chose to do the spartan essay in section four. i knew a bit about religion, but as for sources... no way! Athens was way easier than Sparta.

mememe

Originally posted by Leon585
is this the booklet thingo, sif that is enough to write ur whole reponse on eh! fecking cheap bos! fecking education cuts!

As i've said before, if you are clever and articulate enough with your knowledge you can easily fit it in and get 25/25. if you NEEDED more room they would GIVE you more room. isn't it obvious?

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
I looked once at the religion bit and turned straight to the essay :) spartan religion sucks. Besides, the Minoan short answers were heaps easier and i wrote a whole booklet on the everyday lives of spartan citizens. This wasn't my best section but not my worst either.

Leon585

HSC
Originally posted by mememe
you can easily fit it in and get 25/25....
isn't it obvious?
So for that section where are meant to do 4 pages, whereas in other sections to get full marks ur looking at like 7 +... so pfft to that one youyouyouyou

hmmm and as for the second part of you comment, evidently no!:p

krissy7685

what was with the spartan resources question..
it was so broad...
it coulda been anything

i just said taygetus mountains and eurotas river.. but apparently someone wrote plutarch and xenophon.. wtf? and ppl wrote like helots and kleroi and a whole heap of stuff

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
i chose the spartan religious one cause i didnt understand the other part for the exam in question 72,so i went with this....
it was ok....wasnt it???

Leon585

HSC
feck i wrote that barely was their staple grain and the murex from molluscs in the laconian gulf?

neesha

yea, a gurl i know put helots as the resource, that was pretty funny! but when u think about it they are...aren't they?! lol.

feck i wrote that barely was their staple grain and the murex from molluscs in the laconian gulf?
yea, barley's right! along with timber, lead, dye from shellfish, goats that make cheese, etc....

the economy question was f*&?ed!!! hehe. my teach was not that impressed!! hehe. i looked at religion like WTF?! but then i crapped on about sacrifices, temples, and festivals as features of religion in the society

final word: there is TOO much 2 know in ancient! lol!

Last edited:

krissy7685

i hafta say sparta is the easiest and most interesting out of the whole ancient course for me..

but yeh economy i was like HUH./..
i betcha the ppl that wrote the paper were either stoned or drunk..

chop_suey12

Sparta was screwed. I wrote timber for the ships at gythum and the Eurotas river for resources, but that was just a gamble.

Religion was the thing I anticipated that they would ask, but only to spite me, as it was the one I studied the least. I just crapped on about religious festivals, the kings as the main religious figure giving sacrifices before war and what not (lots of herodotus quotes), then those temples and pausanius quotes, and ended by blabbing about how they were religious maniacs, using that battle of marathon example from Herdotus. I felt like I was bulshitting though.

The bloody leisure activites I looked at and thought, who the hell gives a fuck, it is not worth 5 marks! they sung and danced and ate and shat and bonked in the military barracks. that is all. Men and women of leisure!

Economy was ridiclous too. I will not banter on about what I wrote there though.

Society is meant to be the easiest section. However, I will definitely score the lowest in that part thanks to the board of studies!

neesha

Sparta was screwed. I wrote timber for the ships at gythum and the Eurotas river for resources, but that was just a gamble.
yea i wrote timber 2..it's right, i checked!

I just crapped on about religious festivals, the kings as the main religious figure giving sacrifices before war and what not (lots of herodotus quotes), then those temples and pausanius quotes, and ended by blabbing about how they were religious maniacs, using that battle of marathon example from Herdotus.
i wrote EXACTLY what u wrote!! those pausanias quotes and all! lol (Thank god for antiquity- that's where virtually all my sources came from, lol). gr8 minds think alike, eh?

4 leisure, i was gunna put down that they had banquets and stuff, but then i thought i was making it up...but it was true, damnit! the only reason why i didn't put it down was because i know 'lycorgus' banned luxury....isn't banquting a luxurious leisure thing? but they did banquet! i dun get it...oh well!

Last edited:

UncleBoris

LOL :D

Originally posted by neesha
yea, a gurl i know put helots as the resource, that was pretty funny! but when u think about it they are...aren't they?! lol.
LOL :D I did Minoan short answer and Spartan essay... but just curious, did they ask for 2 'NATURAL Resources' or moreso '2 SOURCES' for Spartan society?? (big difference!!):p:p:p

Personally I liked the ancient exam - new kingdom egypt had a great question on the significance of the hyksos wars.... heheh that took me ages to write sooo muc hto say like 7 pages!! :D (which meant that the time spent on that section reduced time spent on Hatshepsut lol):p :D

but overall, a good exam i think - cheers to the Ancient History Department of the BoS (and to my ancient history teacher!!) lol :D

Leon585

HSC
Originally posted by neesha

(1)the question was f*&?ed!!!

(2)i crapped on about sacrifices, temples, and festivals as features of religion in the society

final word: there is TOO much 2 know in ancient!)3) lol!
1. Yeh it was sorta
2. Did you mention kings, cos i rekon thats gonna be a major part of it? Like werent they the main feature?
3. Agreed, but feck it fecking fecking feck feck feck scales DOWN!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)