Seeking any possible advice on feeling overwhelmed for the HSC already haha :) (1 Viewer)

claudiflower

HSC
Hi! I'm in year 11 (graduating 2021) wow even saying that is - crazy, that's so soon.
I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the articles I'm reading, the advice I'm getting on how to study, I'm not sure what the best study method even is because there are so many ways to do it I'm feeling inclined to do them all but I obviously, do not have the time. So my first question is what are your favourite study methods? I've heard of just taking notes, taking notes then summarising, taking notes summarising then writing summaries out, index cards, Quizlet, loose-leaf paper, folders, workbooks etc? I'm very confused on what to use.

Secondly, the articles online are a little worrying, there's so much advice and contradiction and it is making me feel like I'm not ready or set up for these senior years. Where in the syllabus do I even find notes for students? how do I decode these? How do I get prepared for these course exams without even learning the content yet?

Thirdly, I've been doing online school for the past two years and am attempting to switch back to regular school but the majority of the classes are full :( it's half a term in and they still haven't provided me with what options are available. So I'm already going to be starting very behind. I'm very driven to be back in school but it means I'm probably going to have to switch some subjects for example music for a design and technology course, legal studies, photography or chemistry. If anyone has tips on catching up after getting this far behind or good subject choices because I am literally doubting everything I would love to hear it pff. Sorry for the vent guys and to anyone who replies to this you are literally the best <3

My subjects are Advanced English (is this going to be really really difficult?? should I just switch? I struggle with creative writing and speed of my writing will the time pressure get to me?) Standard maths, Modern History, Society and Culture, Biology (I'm already confused and feeling dumb) and Music (I'm a singer so I am very unfamiliar with the theory and all these technical terms/performance anxiety.

Mikunnn~

HSC
First of all, calm down. There is still time. One thing I've found from this forum are that people tend to freak out too early and go into a panic mode rather than focusing on "Hey, what can I do to make this year less stressful?". There are study tips on the forum (Guides --> Study Tips) so go have a read of that.

Now to answer your questions...

Question: So my first question is what are your favourite study methods?

Answer: I like typing notes then handwriting them. Typing them allows me to consise my information, and writing them down helps me remember. Double whammy. Try what works for you. Years 7-10 (I hope) were not just bludge years - I hope you at least have a faint idea on how to study. I do also read other peoples notes, but I never copy. I find if I copy, the part which I copy is the part which I don't understand - come exam time then I'm stuck. The parts you copy or are unsure of - ask or search online.

Question: Where in the syllabus do I even find notes for students? how do I decode these? How do I get prepared for these course exams without even learning the content yet?

Answer: Relax, there are plenty of notes and syllabuses on the site. I'll explain it to you further later.

Question: Good subject choices? How to catch up?

Answer: RELAX. Not too much has been covered, and it should be easy, for any student, to catch up provided they work hard enough. Keep Advanced I would recommend - I feel you can write well but are not confident enough.

Your subjects: Standard maths, Modern History, Society and Culture, Biology and Music

All of these are fine subjects, and provided you like them, you should stick with them.

Uhh, I may have talked a lot, so I'll talk to you more in PM's.

P.S: Did Prelim Music last year. Trust me, it's not that bad (even if you're not that good at theory, etc.).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)