• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

Selective School Year 11 Help (1 Viewer)

mokaz05

HSC
Hello all,

I applied for entry into a selective school since Year 6, and every single year after that, all of which I never received an offer from. I wanted to post this thread early as possible since I wanted to know what I can change and participate in my current school in order to get the highest chance of getting in during Year 11. As a general background, I applied for the Year 6 selective schools test with a score of around 185, and didn't get into any of the three selective schools which I applied for (They were Parramatta hs, Penrith hs & Girraween hs). Furthermore, I applied in Year 8 for Normanhurst Boys hs, Penrith hs and Girraween hs and failed for all. I also applied in Year 9 for Sydney Technical hs, Penrith hs and Normanhurst Boys hs and failed regrettably for all. Next year I will be in Year 10, and I really want to transfer to a selective school by Year 11, as that is the last ever chance I will get in my life to apply for such an elite school where all my friends go to.

I have tried very hard this year to achieve as many awards I can, and I am in the top class for all the core subjects in my comprehensive school. I am a Year 9 school leader, participated within the schools Debating and Public Speaking clubs, helped the schools Robotics team, participated within the Australian Math Competitions with Distinctions and Credit awards, sacrifice a lot of after school hours as part of the environment club's projects and participated within the spelling bee and all other opportunities my school offers. As for my reports, I have achieved at least 5 A's out of the 8 subjects I am studying over the past 2 reports, and I am aiming to achieve a straight A report this semester. I want some advice from any student who had previously applied for a selective school and got in mid-way through high school and I would like to know what sort of extra-curricular's you did, what your reports were like, what responses you wrote on the school's application forms when they asked why you'd like to join the school as well as the type of questions that the school asked during their interviews. Plus, what selective schools within Sydney make new classes or generally have enrolments for over 10 students for Year 11 entry?

Also, I wanted some thoughts on whether St Marys Senior Hs would be a good decision from moving from a comprehensive government school with a rank of around 250. Their results constantly fluctuate, and I am confused as to where I should be studying in Years 11&12 to achieve the best ATAR and study environment.

SpiderX1X

HSC
Hello all,

I applied for entry into a selective school since Year 6, and every single year after that, all of which I never received an offer from. I wanted to post this thread early as possible since I wanted to know what I can change and participate in my current school in order to get the highest chance of getting in during Year 11. As a general background, I applied for the Year 6 selective schools test with a score of around 185, and didn't get into any of the three selective schools which I applied for (They were Parramatta hs, Penrith hs & Girraween hs). Furthermore, I applied in Year 8 for Normanhurst Boys hs, Penrith hs and Girraween hs and failed for all. I also applied in Year 9 for Sydney Technical hs, Penrith hs and Normanhurst Boys hs and failed regrettably for all. Next year I will be in Year 10, and I really want to transfer to a selective school by Year 11, as that is the last ever chance I will get in my life to apply for such an elite school where all my friends go to.

I have tried very hard this year to achieve as many awards I can, and I am in the top class for all the core subjects in my comprehensive school. I am a Year 9 school leader, participated within the schools Debating and Public Speaking clubs, helped the schools Robotics team, participated within the Australian Math Competitions with Distinctions and Credit awards, sacrifice a lot of after school hours as part of the environment club's projects and participated within the spelling bee and all other opportunities my school offers. As for my reports, I have achieved at least 5 A's out of the 8 subjects I am studying over the past 2 reports, and I am aiming to achieve a straight A report this semester. I want some advice from any student who had previously applied for a selective school and got in mid-way through high school and I would like to know what sort of extra-curricular's you did, what your reports were like, what responses you wrote on the school's application forms when they asked why you'd like to join the school as well as the type of questions that the school asked during their interviews. Plus, what selective schools within Sydney make new classes or generally have enrolments for over 10 students for Year 11 entry?

Also, I wanted some thoughts on whether St Marys Senior Hs would be a good decision from moving from a comprehensive government school with a rank of around 250. Their results constantly fluctuate, and I am confused as to where I should be studying in Years 11&12 to achieve the best ATAR and study environment.
ST Marys is okay, it's mainly good at humanity subjects not Science and Maths, that's where majority of their good results come from, like Business Studies, Legal and English. I'm going next year by the way but I'm not expecting anything that big from it, I'm mainly going cause of the independent vibe, but if that's your only option I guess apply for it? It's quite an independent school and the teachers there expect you to self learn things yourself instead of them spoon feeding you, this can be good for people depending what type of student you are.

As for selective schools I knew heaps of people that got in with crappy/mediocre reports into schools like Girraween, Hurlstone and Fort Street. Just make sure to ace the exam. I never applied to any of these schools myself except for Girraween.

Last edited:

SpiderX1X

HSC
Also you have heaps of extracurriculars and a good report. I'm not sure why you didn't get into those schools not even reserve, it's a bit strange because I've seen people with less extracurricular get into HS like Penrith.. hell i even saw some guy get into Parramatta with one A in like some random subject and B's and C's for the rest of his subjects.

idkkdi

HSC
Personally, I feel like my school has less of an emphasis on extracurriculars when considering applications for Year 11, as opposed to the emphasis on academics, i.e. the exam and report grades. This is based on the fact that the school probably assumes that these extracurriculars will be dropped in Yr 11/12 in order to maximise test scores, these extracurriculars aren't of much value to enhancing the school's reputation (non-prize awards) and how those that are transferred in for Yr 11 are mainly there to boost the school's HSC ranking by bringing in more Band 6's - this is considering that a holistic education can't be offered in only Yr's 11/12.

I believe AMC, amongst other math competitions, as well as Science Olympiads, are valued highly when at or above a High Distinction range. Distinctions are evident of academic merit and ability, and credits are indicative of enthusiasm, but not high achievement in most competitions (excludes UNSW Maths Comp, etc. where credit is only given to top 20% or so.)

Note: This post is with relation to a top 5 selective school, so the information may be slightly irrelevant.

Last edited:

SpiderX1X

HSC
Personally, I feel like my school has less of an emphasis on extracurriculars when considering applications for Year 11, as opposed to the emphasis on academics, i.e. the exam and report grades. This is based on the fact that the school probably assumes that these extracurriculars will be dropped in Yr 11/12 in order to maximise test scores, these extracurriculars aren't of much value to enhancing the school's reputation (non-prize awards) and how those that are transferred in for Yr 11 are mainly there to boost the school's HSC ranking by bringing in more Band 6's - this is considering that a holistic education can't be offered in only Yr's 11/12.

I believe AMC, amongst other math competitions, as well as Science Olympiads, are valued highly when at or above a High Distinction range. Distinctions are evident of academic merit and ability, and credits are indicative of enthusiasm, but not high achievement in most competitions (excludes UNSW Maths Comp, etc. where credit is only given to top 20% or so.)

Note: This post is with relation to a top 5 selective school, so the information may be slightly irrelevant.
I guess this is true, the guy who I was referring to who made it to Penrith had a dogshit report but somehow Distinctions for each of the ICAS competition and one for AMC, it seems that these things are highly valued.

HSC
N/A
Hello all,

I believe in you, try out and you will get in trust me😉

Minari243

HSC
Hello all,

Hello! Honestly those extra curricular activities are literally excellent. and the reports are even better! Yr 11 entry is definitely the best chance for you to get into selective. I almost guarantee you that Penrith will accept you, although it depends on how you do next year. Girraween and Fortstreet and many other schools will rely on the test but I think you'll do just fine with those reports. By the way I'm in Parramatta right now and its pretty bad, plus Parramatta is only selective until year 10, so I heavily encourage you to choose another school. Although If you do decide to get into Parramatta, the people here are pretty amazing. Good luck!

mokaz05

HSC
Thanks for all the replies.

I also wanted to know if selective schools heavily consider achievements beyond just academics, such as out-of-school community service merits or sporting achievements?

Also, could someone please provide me a list of selective schools within Sydney that makes new classes for Year 11?

All the information will be appreciated :)

SpiderX1X

HSC

I also wanted to know if selective schools heavily consider achievements beyond just academics, such as out-of-school community service merits or sporting achievements?

Also, could someone please provide me a list of selective schools within Sydney that makes new classes for Year 11?

Depends what school your talking about, I reckon Penrith cares about it, schools like Sydney Tech, Girraween, Fort Street could care less.

A list i can remember that makes new classes for yr 11 is

Girraween , Fort Street , Baulkham Hills, James Ruse, Normanhurst Boys, Hurlstone

The thing about Normo is that if you're willing to travel 1.5-2 hrs a day, to me it sounds bad as your killing study time, but then again I don't know where you live and if you live close then that's a good option but most people i know live very far from that school.

Fort street doesn't seem worth it to me, it's like 150 people competing for like 15 spots I think maybe even more, Girraween is a bit more easier to get into, for these schools the entry test will carry you to a spot.

As for the value of extracurricular I think that will get you inside Penrith, although no school 'heavily' consider it, they just consider it that you're not all about academics. Most people that get into Penrith are already in Semi-Selective schools, that's the trend I've seen if you're in one it will raise your chances. Before i moved to my private school i was in a partially selective school for a year and i saw many people move to Penrith HS, i used go to Parramatta and a lot of the people that moved just has an average report, not sure how they got in so easily, in fact some guys that made it in literally had no extracurriculars at all, they literally just attached their reports and no certificates at all which was weird. If you are in a semi selective school by any chance then i guess it will lift your chances.

If you don't get into any school then don't worry, you can do well in any school as rank 250 isn't that bad. I've seen 99+ ATARS in rank 400 schools.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC

Schools will consider achievements beyond just academics mostly in two scenarios.
1. When the extracurricular is so great that it overshadows everything else about the applicant and the applicant's competitors. That is, being competitive at a state-level.
2. When two candidates are somewhat equal, i.e. 2 mark difference, extracurriculars will help give a competitive advantage.

Note: This is with the consideration that academic extracurriculars are academic.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Honestly I feel that schools are more reliant on how well you do in competitions such as AMC, and other triathlons, and you need to be able to get a distinction in those. I am in Parramatta H.S right now and its pretty bad but all my friends are all accepted into other selective schools even though their reports are below average (like they only get 2 As).. So yeah it truely is beyond academics that will heavily influence your placement
Lmao, where did you get the word 'triathlons' from?

unluckyrubberducky

HSC
Depends what school your talking about, I reckon Penrith cares about it, schools like Sydney Tech, Girraween, Fort Street could care less.

A list i can remember that makes new classes for yr 11 is

Girraween , Fort Street , Baulkham Hills, James Ruse, Normanhurst Boys, Hurlstone

The thing about Normo is that if you're willing to travel 1.5-2 hrs a day, to me it sounds bad as your killing study time, but then again I don't know where you live and if you live close then that's a good option but most people i know live very far from that school.

Fort street doesn't seem worth it to me, it's like 150 people competing for like 15 spots I think maybe even more, Girraween is a bit more easier to get into, for these schools the entry test will carry you to a spot.

As for the value of extracurricular I think that will get you inside Penrith, although no school 'heavily' consider it, they just consider it that you're not all about academics. Most people that get into Penrith are already in Semi-Selective schools, that's the trend I've seen if you're in one it will raise your chances. Before i moved to my private school i was in a partially selective school for a year and i saw many people move to Penrith HS, i used go to Parramatta and a lot of the people that moved just has an average report, not sure how they got in so easily, in fact some guys that made it in literally had no extracurriculars at all, they literally just attached their reports and no certificates at all which was weird. If you are in a semi selective school by any chance then i guess it will lift your chances. Also, it's best to avoid apply for half selective schools in yr 10 going into yr 11, as all the classes become combined afterwards, and there are no more specific selective classes.

If you don't get into any school then don't worry, you can do well in any school as rank 250 isn't that bad. I've seen 99+ ATARS in rank 400 schools.
Last year, from what I know Hurlstone didn't open a new class and Baulko only accepted less than 10 students according to certain threads. However, most schools with an exam you just gotta carry for them cause the exam is more important than the report, however your extracurriculars will boost you in comparison to kids with similar results. Also, for schools with no exams, the higher they are, the more likely they are to accept kids from other lower or half selective schools even with people from comprehensive schools despite them having more extracurriculars.

mokaz05

HSC
Hi again,

So for Year 11 Selective Schools applications, which school would you guys reckon give me the highest chance of getting in?

I am a student attending a comprehensive school, and I would like them to consider reports, so preferably a school with no entry exam, and I got a load of extra-curricular achievements. I have previously applied for schools with exams including Girraween with their HAST test and Normanhurst Boys with their own exams, however they are quite difficult for me.

I don't really like or hate my school, it's just average and the students are mediocre, but nothing crazy happens. I just want to change to Penrith because all my old friends attend the school. I keep feeling like I am missing out on a lot of opportunities from not going to a selective school, and this is placing a toll on my overall mental health for quite some time. This is making me go over-board into achieving a good report and doing as many things in my school purely for the sake of having a higher chance of getting into a selective school. I find it quite unfair that people with C's and D's in their report get in merely for the fact that they attend a partial selective school such as Parramatta and Granville Boys.

Again, I appreciate all the help and information that everyone is giving me...

idkkdi

HSC
Hi again,

So for Year 11 Selective Schools applications, which school would you guys reckon give me the highest chance of getting in?

I am a student attending a comprehensive school, and I would like them to consider reports, so preferably a school with no entry exam, and I got a load of extra-curricular achievements. I have previously applied for schools with exams including Girraween with their HAST test and Normanhurst Boys with their own exams, however they are quite difficult for me.

I don't really like or hate my school, it's just average and the students are mediocre, but nothing crazy happens. I just want to change to Penrith because all my old friends attend the school. I keep feeling like I am missing out on a lot of opportunities from not going to a selective school, and this is placing a toll on my overall mental health for quite some time. This is making me go over-board into achieving a good report and doing as many things in my school purely for the sake of having a higher chance of getting into a selective school. I find it quite unfair that people with C's and D's in their report get in merely for the fact that they attend a partial selective school such as Parramatta and Granville Boys.

Not sure if there are any schools without exams for year 11 entrance.

Minari243

HSC
Hi again,

Penrith, Sydney tech, and Baulko are a few schools that don't require entrance exams, there should be a few more I think. If you have a lot of extra-curricular and good reports, Penrith is definitely a good choice. If you are acing everything then Baulko would be good

Minari243

HSC
Hi again,

Nvm, sydney tech has no exams until yr10 entry, theres an exam for yr 11.

SpiderX1X

HSC
Hi again,

Sorry to break it to you and be so blunt but Penrith is the school that is the most biased to students in already selective schools, most of the transfers come from lower ranking selective schools. A few days ago my friend from Bonnyrigg HS, (I think he goes there) made it in for Yr 11 entry and he is known the be the biggest bludge on Earth, just parties all day and all that, his report really wasn't that good they just accepted him cuz he's in a selective school. It just makes me wonder how such people can just make it in? However in saying that they DO consider many talented students but most of which are in parra , blacktown or granville. In saying that it doesn't hurt to try again for next yr.

Sorry if I came out as too blunt.

Minari243

HSC
Sorry to break it to you and be so blunt but Penrith is the school that is the most biased to students in already selective schools, most of the transfers come from lower ranking selective schools. A few days ago my friend from Bonnyrigg HS, (I think he goes there) made it in for Yr 11 entry and he is known the be the biggest bludge on Earth, just parties all day and all that, his report really wasn't that good they just accepted him cuz he's in a selective school. It just makes me wonder how such people can just make it in? However in saying that they DO consider many talented students but most of which are in parra , blacktown or granville. In saying that it doesn't hurt to try again for next yr.

Sorry if I came out as too blunt.
Hey! I currently attend Parra and its basically a shithole here, we do accept really talented kids but I don't think there's any point since our selective stream ends at yr 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)