Selective schools debate (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
There's prestige in doing Maths Olympiad? Nah, I just did it because I was the modest 3u student who was invited to do it with all the smarty 4u kids (and I still remember one of them snickering at me asking me if I was in the right place).
AIMO <<<<<< AMO <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< IMO

if u were invited to do olympiad in yr 11/12 that sounds like AMO stage. Maybe selections were different in your day? AMO is based off AIMO prize/amc medal right now and some other ways which i'm not too sure about.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

if u were invited to do olympiad in yr 11/12 that sounds like AMO stage. Maybe selections were different in your day? AMO is based off AIMO prize/amc medal right now and some other ways which i'm not too sure about.
I have no idea (and don't even know what those acronyms stand for)... I never really thought much about it (the world was a simpler place?) and I just had to go to various lunch meetings, and do various activities/questions. I got out of going to usual classes though.

HSC
I don't like the selective system, because

[1] it assumes that most children matures at a similar rate at a narrow point of time in year 6. Sure there are chances later but in the main that's when most people get in.

[2] It put children in a hot house situation when they should be more free to just play, which i *feel* impacts on life long stress and creativity levels

[3] Sport must miss out somewhat

[4] It monetizes a whole sub culture of swat schools, which feeds back into public schools slacking off as they "see" students are doing well no matter what they do. So the taxpayer as usual has to pay twice.

[5] Children are always studying rather than enjoying life a ta time when life should be really really enjoyable

[6] Your marks are scaled by your cohorts performance, so if your at a academically poor school unless your a few standard deviations out your screwed. This has synergy with [1].
In our school we were required to drop sports in Year 11

idkkdi

HSC
Only 10 people in my school cared about sports. Around 20 people swam in swim carnival while majority either skipped or played cards for the day. Cross country was compulsory and most people skipped or just took half an hour to walk the 5km and still managed to place top 10. Not many people signed up for representative sport so we usually didn't have enough people for a team. Most people chose chess as a sport or just faked injuries to avoid sport. But high school was still fun
10? wtf.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A

AMC, AIMO (Yrs 7-10) & Senior AMOC (Yrs 7-11).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Only 10 people in my school cared about sports. Around 20 people swam in swim carnival while majority either skipped or played cards for the day. Cross country was compulsory and most people skipped or just took half an hour to walk the 5km and still managed to place top 10. Not many people signed up for representative sport so we usually didn't have enough people for a team. Most people chose chess as a sport or just faked injuries to avoid sport. But high school was still fun
How can most finish in top 10? Are there 15 people at your school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)