Selective Schools in Year 11? (1 Viewer)

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I just wanted to know why people suddenly change schools, primarily going into a selective school in year 11, it's apparently because of scaling, or the cohort is better, but I'm not sure. My peers are trying out for selective schools, and I feel like I will be disadvantaged if I don't.. People also say it will be harder to get a good ATAR or something like that if you don't go to one, which is quite worrisome.

One more thing, does your school dictate what ATAR you get, or is it your individual work..

Logical()

HSC
Honestly, the reason I want to move is that I like change and if I'm in the same environment for a long time I get bored of it really quickly so going to a new school on a more competitive level is much more fun for me, in terms of getting a better Atar that's more like a bonus for me.

Accurate

clix
HSC
Hi,

I just wanted to know why people suddenly change schools, primarily going into a selective school in year 11, it's apparently because of scaling, or the cohort is better, but I'm not sure. My peers are trying out for selective schools, and I feel like I will be disadvantaged if I don't.. People also say it will be harder to get a good ATAR or something like that if you don't go to one, which is quite worrisome.

One more thing, does your school dictate what ATAR you get, or is it your individual work..
I moved from a poor ranking (Rank 400 school) to a selective in Year 11. There are advantages to a selective school but I would say it's more indirect ones, such as a motivated cohort and if you screw up the internals then you will be dragged up higher.

The school doesn't dictate which ATAR you're going to get, if you place a well motivated person from a good ranking school to a poor ranking school.. surprise surprise they will still do well. Also another thing to mention is that if you rank 1st in a poor ranking school then your mark is unaffected by scaling, with that logic if think you are the smartest person in the grade, then you SHOULD be ranking 1st.

If you can't rank 1st in a poor ranking school then scaling isn't going to help you much in a selective school either as you will be placed at the bottom of the cohort and those people will scale you down. There have been people in rural schools with zero tutoring, lack of resources too as they are rural and they band 6 in Physics, Chem and Math, it's all about the motivation.

Logical()

HSC
Hi,

It doesn't let me pm you:(

Logical()

HSC
I moved from a poor ranking (Rank 400 school) to a selective in Year 11. There are advantages to a selective school but I would say it's more indirect ones, such as a motivated cohort and if you screw up the internals then you will be dragged up higher.

The school doesn't dictate which ATAR you're going to get, if you place a well motivated person from a good ranking school to a poor ranking school.. surprise surprise they will still do well. Also another thing to mention is that if you rank 1st in a poor ranking school then your mark is unaffected by scaling, with that logic if think you are the smartest person in the grade, then you SHOULD be ranking 1st.

If you can't rank 1st in a poor ranking school then scaling isn't going to help you much in a selective school either as you will be placed at the bottom of the cohort and those people will scale you down. There have been people in rural schools with zero tutoring, lack of resources too as they are rural and they band 6 in Physics, Chem and Math, it's all about the motivation.
What school did you move to?

TheShy

HSC
I moved cause my new school would be closer, and you have more competition at a better school, usually. Having more competition pushes you to do better than you would have if you were first in your previous school, plus you get to meet a whole lotta new people. Then again, you don't have to move, especially if you're always pushing yourself. Theres been a lot of people from low ranked schools getting high 90s.

DrDawn

HSC
N/A
So basically it's a change in environment..

I don't think I can apply since my report was so bad last sem, I got like 4A'S and 4B'S whilst my peers at max have 2B'S

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

Moving to the selective school doesn't directly mean you are going to get a high ATAR. You may benefit from being surrounded by more motivated students and on average probably having harder assessment tasks so it better prepares you for the HSC exam. However, you can get good ATARs at non-selective schools as well, so by not moving to one doesn't meant you are going to be screwed.

Your school doesn't dictate your ATAR, you need to look at it in perspective of if the student is not ranking highly in a lower ranking school, if they moved to a selective school doesn't mean their marks will just shoot up automatically. So even if you are at a low ranking school if you are smart enough then you will rank highly and get a good ATAR in the end

tito981

HSC
I moved to a selective school in year 11 and the only school i got an offer from had an entrance test, so if ur report isnt that good it doesnt matter as long as they have an entrance test and u do well in that.

Accurate

clix
HSC
I moved to a selective school in year 11 and the only school i got an offer from had an entrance test, so if ur report isnt that good it doesnt matter as long as they have an entrance test and u do well in that.
Yeah my report was kinda bad, I still got in

Velocifire

HSC
You probably had other abilities to support your application accurate?

Like lots of co-curricular such as PS, Debating, MT, Sports, SRC, Chess, etc.

Or you did really well in NapLan to compensate.

Or you go to partially selective schools.

Either way, you are really lucky.

Velocifire

HSC
I'm pretty sure y'all know how Box & Whisker plots work. If you don't then SS's are not for you.

I'll give you an analogy.IMG-0977.jpg

This analogy means that the range of ability in a regular school is more diverse than a selective school since anyone gets in. I don't want to offend anyone but where do the E students go? They have no option to attend these schools so they bring diversity to the regular school. It also gives people drive... an E student from Year 7 is now thrashing the top students at my school due to his countless hours in and his admirable work ethic... he wanted to become the very best and so he did. A selective school could be like this "What would if the top 15 people (overall) in the grade had cloned themselves and replaced the entire cohort?"

However, with the selective school, there is a heavy criterion and only the best of the best get in. As you can see, each student is way above average and A/High B is the average Grade. This could bring a connection to the strong work ethic that each student has.

All in all, both types of schools have really smart students and hardworkers. It's up to you to decide, and not the school... should I do something about my education to make me smarter, or just be a sitting duck and do nothing. Selective students chose the 1st route. Selective schools are filters to these smart students... execute no DUMB/LAZY STUDENTS... and that's your standard-issue selective school. There is no "elevator to success" you have to take 1000 flights of stairs and that's only a small fraction of the battle.

You can't get a good HSC ATAR if you become a sitting duck, SS or NOT.

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
I knew I would have to make the rest of my application top-notch (since there was no entrance test). So, I made my application reaaaalllly thick: awards dating back to Year 5 (seriously, find literally anything), NAPLAN, extracurriculars (I only did like one or two but made it sound like it was a big deal hahaha)...I also added this 'profile page' which had random stuff like my top achievements, any proficiency skills in languages, my rankings at school since Year 7 and made it look really aesthetic.
applications do not need to be top notch as long as the school sees that you have applied yourself in areas outside of academics. This can generally be done through playing a sport or an instrument. In my case i played a sport (not very high level) this allows the school to see that your not just brains. I feel as though schools are looking for more well rounded students who have interests outside of studies to brake the stereotypical straight A student.

B1andB2

HSC
Selective school with either save you or ruin you. Because so many students have the mentality that 'oh, my cohort is smart so my ranking will pull me up', some students put in less effort because they rely so much on the scaling and it ruins their ATAR. You can get just a good ATAR at a public school as that at a selective school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)