Senior High School (1 Viewer)

DheerChoudhury

HSC
Hey all,

I just had a few things on my mind lately, I was wondering if you guys could help me get some answers...
  • What are the pros and cons of small (say 450ish) and big (say 1000ish) high schools? What would you choose in your senior schooling?
  • If all throughout high school life, I've stayed at this school (therefore being familiar with the school, students, facilities, teachers, etc), is it worthwhile to try and start afresh at a new school in Year 12? Would it be too much of a new change, especially in a year that is crucial?
  • How will I know if I am ready to move from fully non-selective to partial selective? If so, what are some recommended schools that have a good reputation for good teachers, facilities and students?
Sorry for the questions...but I was wondering if I could get some guidance...
Cheers.

c8

HSC
I experienced a school around 1200s and 900s and there isn't a huge difference tbh. 450s is pretty small, I'd imagine you'd be restricted in subject choices, or the classes would be substantially smaller but idk anyone who goes to a school that size. You'd have a pretty tight cohort though.

No, I don't think it is worthwhile to move schools in year 12. Year 11 probably would've been okay, but I think year 12 is a little too late, and most selective schools will accept year 12s on special circumstances anyways as they normally don't have anyone leave in year 11, and hence maintain the same quota in year 12. With partially selective schools, I'm pretty sure the selective stream no longer exists when you get to year 11 and 12, and so the entire cohort is mixed together because logically like how would you fill classes with only selectives, and so the selective environment that most people go to the school for changes.

Unless you really hate your current school or you aren't thriving and think you'd be better off at another school I'd just stay but ultimately it's up to you. You should also reach out to schools first and check to see if they even accept year 12s, especially as this is pretty late to be applying, year 12 2021 starts in two months.

Kyufruit

HSC
Hey all,

I just had a few things on my mind lately, I was wondering if you guys could help me get some answers...
  • What are the pros and cons of small (say 450ish) and big (say 1000ish) high schools? What would you choose in your senior schooling?
  • If all throughout high school life, I've stayed at this school (therefore being familiar with the school, students, facilities, teachers, etc), is it worthwhile to try and start afresh at a new school in Year 12? Would it be too much of a new change, especially in a year that is crucial?
  • How will I know if I am ready to move from fully non-selective to partial selective? If so, what are some recommended schools that have a good reputation for good teachers, facilities and students?
Sorry for the questions...but I was wondering if I could get some guidance...
Cheers.
I go to a partial selective school. In our junior years (7-10), it mattered, selective kids vs everyone else, we were always separated and had no interaction with each other, it was always about who was smarter and who was the “face of the school”. But, the moment we hit our senior years, that label of wether you are a selective student or not is non-existing, because you’ll be mixed with all other students in your classes. So going to a partial selective school isn’t that different from a public school when youre a hsc student, sometimes i even forget i am in a partially selective school lolol.

but this might just be my school.

And when it comes to moving in year 12, I’d say go for it (but only if you really need to). I have a friend who is an international student, she didn’t take her studies seriously in her home country, and decided the only way to get her act together immediately was to move to Australia in her senior year, the pressure is what got her act together. Though I dont really recommend it, she had a lot of burn outs.

mikrokosmos

HSC
hey! i just moved to a higher ranking selective school and it was quite hard to adapt - especially for you; when going from mainstream to selective.
at the end of the day, you're gonna get grouped together for senior school anyway so there's no difference. furthermore, in y11 and 12 ppl start trying. as long as your school isnt like badly ranked (low 200s onwards) i think you'll be fine. aim to rank top for all of your subjects!

Last edited:

Kurrison

HSC
I believe moving into year 12 for selective high school is very hard and it is your final year, so how is that going be work? You could do this by applying year 11&12 scholarship or selective high school entries last year and could get into any private school with scholarships or selective high school. Did you not apply any selective high school during winter? I had a friend who successfully got into a selective high school for year 12 entry, but she is intelligent. I think she moved into Manly Selective. Oh well, my best recommendation that you can move to Parramatta Marist or high ranking public schools such as Killara or Cherrybrook. All the best with transferring to a school in year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)