serious help needed for section 3 of syllabus! (1 Viewer)

fishy89sg

HSC
hi guys

this is in regards to Part 1: Core Study - Cities of Vesuvius - Pompeii + Herculaneum

"3 Investigating, reconstructing and preserving the past"

for this part of the syllabus, what do we actually need to know???

do we need to know sources, or archaeologists or what

thanks for your help guys

bored6

HSC
fishy89sg said:
hi guys

this is in regards to Part 1: Core Study - Cities of Vesuvius - Pompeii + Herculaneum

"3 Investigating, reconstructing and preserving the past"

for this part of the syllabus, what do we actually need to know???

do we need to know sources, or archaeologists or what

thanks for your help guys
Changing attitudes and methodologies are very important - tied in with changing archaeologists so you need to know a few at least.

I think you need to know sources too and specific excavational projects such as the House of Menander project etc

And theres also some bullshit about ethics / ownership at the end.

Pretty long topic I found.

fishy89sg

HSC
yeh its very thorough, longer than our sparta topic.

can i ask what is the menander project??? :eek:

bored6

HSC
fishy89sg said:
yeh its very thorough, longer than our sparta topic.

can i ask what is the menander project??? :eek:
Sure no problem, from my notes:

The projects aim was to redress the deficiencies in the earlier records of this particular insulae conducted under Amedeo Maiuri between 1927 – 1933; there being a lack of documentation present for this Insula. Another aim included the drawing of general conclusions about the Insula’s social structure over time and in its final form in AD 79.

Project began with the production of an archive of drawings of the surviving wall paintings and plan sections. In addition, there were pro-forma sheets providing a detailed record, room-by-room, of all architectural and decorative features.

The team investigated the site over 7 seasons > ran in problems regarding the inability to excavate beneath existing walls and pavement, the early restorations which were rarely marked and hard to identify and the reused building materials that made newer walls look like older ones

The Insula of the Menander at Pompeii (1997) by Rodger Ling provided a detailed account of the teams findings; showing that there had been frequent building changes, that the boundaries of the property had changed and that there also appeared to be a late appearance of shops and the addition of upper storeys in the last years of the city – i.e. the House of Menander expanded to include an adjacent house around AD 60.

fishy89sg

HSC
thanks so much for that (and highlighting the important info!)

now im off to watch some biggest loser! hehe

HSC
don't forget Andrew Wallace-Hadril :p he's from the british school at Rome, conducting the herculaneum conservation project.
My ancient teacher never shuts up bout him!

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
lol guess I was too late to be any help! But if you need any other help, just check out my link below!

kiran.nautiyal

HSC
random-nobody23 said:
don't forget Andrew Wallace-Hadril :p he's from the british school at Rome, conducting the herculaneum conservation project.
My ancient teacher never shuts up bout him!
LOL u had to put him in didnt u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)