Seriously ill after drug trials (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
hmmmm ive done them before... lots of ppl in my course does them..

they pay lik $500-$3000 in australia.. usually they wouldnt get such a severe reaction... but its interesting to consider.
fucken retard.... why do u think they dont test it on themelves? it takes ATLEAST 20-35 scientists to develop a drug...
they test it on guinea pigs like you....

fucken guinea pig

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
See this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/drug-trial-elephant-man-shock/2006/03/16/1142098573100.html

Interestingly enough, the hospital involved is just outside my window. The BBC are still there and the media have been swarming all day. One of my flatmates was going to take part in that trial but luckily he changed his mind cos he would have missed too many classes. Loads of people from this university do trials at the hospital because it is right next door and everyone is well skint cos London is so expensive.

So what do you guys think? Would you ever volunteer for such trials? Do you think it's best we test on humans or animals? Do more precautions need to be taken?

Spit it out.

I don't ever think I could do something like that at all, I hate hospitals and I am too squirmish. One of my friends here was thinking about doing something like it but I think he might reconsider after this. It's really a common thing for travellers in London to do, there are always ads on gumtree.com.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I say your friend is retarded. and its misfortunate for those people.

however... its their fault.. they took the 4500 they took the risk... and now they take death....

"if everyones coming your way, you're in the wrong lane~"

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmmm ive done them before... lots of ppl in my course does them..

they pay lik $500-$3000 in australia.. usually they wouldnt get such a severe reaction... but its interesting to consider.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sam04u said:
fucken retard.... why do u think they dont test it on themelves? it takes ATLEAST 20-35 scientists to develop a drug...
they test it on guinea pigs like you....

fucken guinea pig
actually some of them test it on themselves if u cant get enough volunteers :p

its what they with the bird flu vaccine.. quite a few of the medical scientist at the main hospital have taken it.. cos they fit the criteria.

and also im a pharmacology researcher/'lab jockey' during my uni breaks so i know wats involved :)

yeah so nice try, retard

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
why is there a post above my original post. Hmm.

But anyway, reading about what happened is really stomach churning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4813478.stm

"some screamed out that they thought their heads were going to explode"... freaky. Imagine if you had taken the placebo though, and you were just sitting there wondering if that was going to happen to you in a minute.... how scary. It's horrible.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's odd that they weren't able to pick up this risk in their earlier trials... something tells me they gave an improper dilution of the drug or something of that nature.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Eh, theres far too many British people anyway, some adverse reactions to drug trials is just one way to get rid of them.

And at least one of the guys is going to die, all of his internal organs have failed. That's what you get for being stupid really.

And braindrainedAsh, I really hope you aren't picking up too much English lingo. Not going to look good when you're trying to prove to people that you're eloquent and intelligent. I spent awhile over there in the holidays and their lingo really is so amazingly lame, just like the people.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It's odd that they weren't able to pick up this risk in their earlier trials... something tells me they gave an improper dilution of the drug or something of that nature.
dude isnt always predictable, especially when it concerns with our human body, those affected could be allergic or have somethin in their body that have triggered a reaction etc so many factors.

the human body is complex, i am surprised they did testing though? really really bad science.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
I heard one of the the scientists on the news say that they tested the drug on "chickens and monkeys" ....now thats encouraging :uhoh:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
dude isnt always predictable, especially when it concerns with our human body, those affected could be allergic or have somethin in their body that have triggered a reaction etc so many factors.
Ok there are differences between humans and rats, however humans and monkeys you're dealing with a pretty similar creature. I heard the doctor on the news say that they may have prepared the drug wrong, which is more probable than that there was some rare human factor that they hadn't known of.

the human body is complex, i am surprised they did testing though? really really bad science.
Well how do u propose we come up with new drugs? Also, you talking about 'really really bad science' is a joke as you've shown you cannot grasp what a scientific theory even is.

Trillium

HSC
If i'd done it i'd be pissed. Take the risk... and feel like your head is about to explode. Fun times, i'm sure.
Still. Not much they can do if they signed- but the hospital should probably wait a while before they try again...
~Trill

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah I was reading in SMH about the girlfriend of one of the guys consulting a lawyer.

From what Ive learnt, they won't have a legal foot to stand on if a disclaimer was signed (which it no doubt was) and they were paid to do it (consideration as its known by us law students).

Unless of course as NTB said, they have given the wrong dilution and were subjected to more than was signed to in the contract. In that case they're fucked (a strictly legal term, of course :p ).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
From what Ive learnt, they won't have a legal foot to stand on if a disclaimer was signed (which it no doubt was) and they were paid to do it (consideration as its known by us law students).
Nah I don't think that's right, they or their relatives will sue.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Of course they'll sue, but its medical trials, Im sure they've covered their asses as far as legally possible.

Short of gross negligence, I don't see them having a claim.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Ok there are differences between humans and rats, however humans and monkeys you're dealing with a pretty similar creature. I heard the doctor on the news say that they may have prepared the drug wrong, which is more probable than that there was some rare human factor that they hadn't known of.
if its a leukemia drug its prolly cos they use the rats and monkeys as models beforehand.. lik they are very similar pharmacokinetics to humans..

usually they are very strict about the first run

immunologically I think there is cause to reason to suspect his adverse reactions would have been picked up lik in the trials

i have reason to think that with 5 ppl its a matter of dosing or contaminated prep

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well how do u propose we come up with new drugs? Also, you talking about 'really really bad science' is a joke as you've shown you cannot grasp what a scientific theory even is.

if they have given a bad dosage, wrong concentration whatever that is bad science. creating the proper dosage is like the first thing u learn in chemistry, creating standard solutions. so really this is accordin to u is a basic error which is bad science.

wwe come with new drugs, by testing on bloddy every single condition, rats, pigs, pigs in waters, apes etc.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
HotShot said:
wwe come with new drugs, by testing on bloddy every single condition, rats, pigs, pigs in waters, apes etc.
no we wouldnt..
thats cos uncost effective.. its called business and economics
but we do it in as many necessary conditions.

thing is the senior scientists do not usually do the preps.. it's left to the lab technician (in companies) or PhD or Hons students (in universities)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
it was a fuckup plain and simple

i am guessing there are gonna be some major fucking legal action going on, and i dont see how the hospital is going to be able to defend their condition

" errr we arrr...made them sign stuff, that said they might suffer adverse effects"

yeah fuckwit, but any decent doctor can recognise when a drug is going to permanently damage someones vital organs and risk their lives, theres a difference between that and some unusual inflamation of the face

it was bad science, it was bad administration of medicine and i am confident that the fault wasnt with what the medicine was supposed to be, they would have found out early enough if their shit was killing apes.

so the problem is pretty much withthe hospital
could be unhygenic conditions
some1 accidently added 10molar HCl to the mixture
some sort of shit like that, something went wrong and someones going to pay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)