sex and the city idea (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

i'm thinking of doing my critical response based around something to do with gender......and was hoping to incorporate the show 'sex and the city' into it somehow. before i start developing this, does anyone know if that show has been used before, and would it be seen as appropriate by the markers ? ie. is it a good idea ? thanks.......

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i've never heard of anyone using SATC, although i'm not much of a critical-response-writer. i don't think the markers would see it as inappropriate, lots of people do pop culture bits for crit. response. you just have to make it sound sophisticated, introduce intellectual ideas, that sort of stuff. i'm under the impression markers love stuff on feminism/gender... so that'll work for you too (if it's true)

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
i read something somewhere once.. i think in one of those sunday magazines... and it was called 'sexism in the city'.... it was good... about something or another... sexism and things like that and it did refer to sex and the city..

lol sorry about the vagueness :p

aud

HSC
ashjw84 said:
i'm thinking of doing my critical response based around something to do with gender......and was hoping to incorporate the show 'sex and the city' into it somehow. before i start developing this, does anyone know if that show has been used before, and would it be seen as appropriate by the markers ? ie. is it a good idea ? thanks.......
There's never an 'appropriateness' of a Major Work... like, Textiles students are told that making a drag queen costume is as appropriate as a quilt set... but go with Sex and the City, I'd love to read it :D Could work really, really well, because I'm sure there'd be a lot of writing on it already

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
but because there might be a lot of writing already on it, the markers might not see it as an original thought.

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
well, if you are considering other text types, the sex in the city idea could be a really good inspiration for so many other things... like whatever text type you do you could include all the types of feature article thingos carey writes, or in some way explore the promiscuity of women throughout literature, from like some 19th century novel that i wish i knew the name of coz that would make me seem so much smarter right now....

ashjw84

thanks for the advice...........i think i'll stick with the sex and the city idea, and try and come up with a really intelligent line of argument !

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
<3 SATC!!

pop culture is hard to write about, and there's the possibility of being completely owned by the markers. But if you do it in an intelligent fashion, and use some kind of theoretical framework it should be fine...

the most obvious one would be some kind of feminist analysis, looking at the roles of the women in SATC and how fully realised they are or something like that. A comparative study could be cool. but...then again...it's feminism...can't stand it...so overdone. but thats just my opinion. and I'm sure there is plenty of writing out there about how fantastic the women in SATC are, so that could be a bit dodgy. Try to find some kind of funk-ay angle...ahh you have plenty of time to work out what you want to do anyway! :D it's a good excuse to watch more eps, hehe

good luck

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Like every1 else said you could the feminist reading of SATC (I love that show!! its a good excuse to watch it) i think the thing is every1 does feminist readings of everything you know, so i suppose you would have to make it really good. You could incorporate the idea that in the end they all return to traditional female roles- ie they all get paired off, this ironically undermines what the show set out to do in the beginning- how does this affect its feminist potential? reflects how even in modern day society the women is always expected to conform to the patriarchal constraints faced over them. Actually scrap that, you could even do a whole reading on is it even feminst at all or just it just celebrate materialism ect but then again thats very similar to the one in the 2003 showcase.

Goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)