Short Answer Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rorix

HSC
i.e. the hardly marked part of the paper:(

i can't remember all the questions hrm...

What about 'Discuss two factors that could have caused the fall in the participation rate?'

Does anyone have two that aren't sort of the same or aren't crap;)

bakerlog

HSC
good question. this was one of those that i could easily find one answer to but the second was very airy fairy...

Rorix

HSC
the one in my post

if i recall I said something about the rising unemployment installing the belief in the unemployed that they won't find a job causing them to relax their efforts to find work and become hidden unemployed, and the economic downturn discouraging the long-term unemployed or something like that, basically 2 things to do with hidden unemployment

SpaceMonkey

Frak!
HSC
I think I said something about structural change leading to structual unemployment... which then appeared in a few more times in later questions... then I said something else... can't remember.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
wasn't the question asking about the causes of the fall in participation rate in THIS ECONOMY? (ie the economy they provided you stats with)

that's why i mentioned the rising labour force and lower rates of inflation suggest which means there are low levels of eco growth and hence low part. rate

don't tell me i got more wrong

Last edited:

sub

i sed the case of long term u/e => discouraged workers, and hence less part. rate
2) longer full-time tertiary study retention rate, so less part. rate

is that rong?

Mannix

HSC
I put the increased unemployment deterring those in the particpation rate from seeking work.
As well as this, the increase in the working age population relative to the job vacancies also decreases the participation rate

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
SpaceMonkey said:
I think I said something about structural change leading to structual unemployment... which then appeared in a few more times in later questions... then I said something else... can't remember.
The question was about participation rates.

I used the same hidden unemployment/discouraged workers argument as rorix. My second point was that perhaps there were higher returns on factors despite wages such as high returns on capital gains, causing people to exit the job market.

It was an act of desperation though :p

Idyll

HSC
sub said:
i sed the case of long term u/e => discouraged workers, and hence less part. rate
2) longer full-time tertiary study retention rate, so less part. rate

is that rong?
They're both valid points, and they're not really related.
Discouraged job seekers - due to high unemployment rate
Higher retention rates - workforce wishes to attain greater skills and qualifications

ar5ena1

HSC
i used the hidden employment arguement, forgot what else i used =(

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
1. high level of unemployment meaning weak eco growth and this discourages the unemployed to continue to seek for work

2. Large group of retirees existing the workforce due to a aging population problem. (that was really desperate)

mitch_07

HSC
I used the same hidden unemployment/discouraged workers argument as rorix. My second point was about the aging of the population with ppl retiring.

S

Shuter

1. I wrote economy looked fairly inactive due to little inflation, so cyclically unemployed would fall into hidden unemployment.

2. The second point I made was the government may have initated job retraining schemes/education incentive and there could be a shift from people seeking employment to full time students.

Both valid points I think.

lovelydebisme

HSC
N/A
for that one...

I wrote:
1. more women are pregant, and willing to take care of their children instead of entering the labour force.
2. the aging population

will these be okay?

Idyll

HSC
I'm not sure that they really mark the SAQs that hard. When you look at the Standards Packages, even the exemplar samples, some of the stuff's accurate, but not fantastic. For something like deregulation, which is a huge topic area, they have to be pretty accepting of the variety of answers. There's no way you can mention every possible aspect and method of deregulation in half a page.

There was a question in the 2001 HSC on micro reform, and while they didn't have exemplar samples, it would be reasonable to assume that in the band 5/6 answers, some of the answers to individual parts of questions would have scored full marks, and there's a large variety in answers given to those questions.

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Shuter said:
1. I wrote economy looked fairly inactive due to little inflation, so cyclically unemployed would fall into hidden unemployment.

2. The second point I made was the government may have initated job retraining schemes/education incentive and there could be a shift from people seeking employment to full time students.

Both valid points I think.
o man, i had a mental block during this question...

i wrote:

* an economic recession- which would increase discouraged jobseekers coz employment prospects are much less favourable
* a lack of labour mkt training programs to place structurally unemployed into jobs- which may cause them to become discouraged jobseekers- i made this up off the top of my head

u reckon i could get the 2 marks?

S

Shuter

ay_caramba said:
o man, i had a mental block during this question...

i wrote:

* an economic recession- which would increase discouraged jobseekers coz employment prospects are much less favourable
* a lack of labour mkt training programs to place structurally unemployed into jobs- which may cause them to become discouraged jobseekers- i made this up off the top of my head

u reckon i could get the 2 marks?
It's at least one, but both of them seem to revolve around the principle of discouraged job seekers which is really the same point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)