Short Stories (1 Viewer)

debugz

HSC
Originally posted by smegger_em
How many people are doing short stories? Would anyone be brave enough to want to swap and get some feed back?
ahhh thats quite risky. dont swap with students. use teachers and professional authors. If they pawn off your work as their own, (short stories are marked by the same people), you will both loose out. They might not care, but im sure u will.

debugz

HSC
i could prolly pass ur story onto an excellent guy. my old english teacher who i still keep in touch with. great guy. Mr. Grumley. pretty smart too... writes those excel english books...

he might be able to read through it, give u some tips and corrections. Two of my friends did short stories last year under he's supervision. They went on to get close to full marks from the BOS.

debugz

HSC
lol...
everyone loves god =), therfore, you loving me is a given. =)

spamming in a 4u english channel tim.. tsk tsk =)

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Can i just ask did you guys (debugz and tim) do ext 2 last year?
If so did you do short stories? Cause all the people i have talked to who did it last year were more exciting then me and did things like vidoes and speeches. And as no one as yet has offered to do my major work for me i would just like the next bes thing, some feed back/advice that is relevant to what i am doing...
Thanks

debugz

HSC
nup
i did a genrea study (which is a bad bad bad idea ppl... turned out to be an encyopedia.. seriously... ) on Science Fiction. yeah.. it was in the multi-media section... did it in flash.. stuffed up at the end (cause i have movies n stuff, when i went to publish the screens in flash, it oculdnt handle it, cause there was soo much stuff in it)... proceeded to chuck a fit, panick, teacher collecting it from my house at 10pm the night it was due :), fill in a miss adventure form, BOS rejected my miss-adventure form... then waited for my UAI

worst wait of my life.

but hey.. happy go lucky that i am
ended up getting 48/50 for eng ext 2... with a faulty major work and everything.. RAHH! err.. band E4... merit list.. mwhahaha =)

sorry, what was the question
i just felt like i had to tell my story

HSC
How many people are doing short stories? Would anyone be brave enough to want to swap and get some feed back?
Well as far as I know most people are doing Short Stories. I checked out my schools (Sydney Technical) major works from last year and only about three people didn't something that wasn't a short story. This year pretty much the same deal except theres just a few more people doing different things...

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
I thought there was a fair amount of people doing critical responces actually. I think there are a lot more people being adventurous this year, you know doing a radio drama or cd rom or something more exciting. I am the only one doing short stories out of the 6 of us at my school, there are two novellas, a critical resonce, a speech and a web page and they have all done so much more work then me!

HSC
I thought there was a fair amount of people doing critical responces actually. I think there are a lot more people being adventurous this year, you know doing a radio drama or cd rom or something more exciting. I am the only one doing short stories out of the 6 of us at my school, there are two novellas, a critical resonce, a speech and a web page and they have all done so much more work then me!
Actually you're probably right, but alot of people in my school (i think theres about 15 of us) are doing short stories, theres two people doing videos, 3 critical responses, 1 speech, 2 poetry and the rest are short stories.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
4u

I cant believe people actually put them selves through 4units of englis - no offense or anything, but i reckon its rediculus .. and yes, i know my spelling is out of whack.:confused:

HSC
Re: 4u

Originally posted by Big Willy
I cant believe people actually put them selves through 4units of englis - no offense or anything, but i reckon its rediculus .. and yes, i know my spelling is out of whack.:confused:
English Extension 2 is actually not very difficult, neither is English Extension 1. In fact it would be safe to say that both are much easier than English Advanced.

And besides English Extension 2 is actually quite a fun subject, you don't have to turn up to class and you get to do something creative (for once) in a subject.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Re: Re: 4u

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

English Extension 2 is actually not very difficult, neither is English Extension 1. In fact it would be safe to say that both are much easier than English Advanced.

And besides English Extension 2 is actually quite a fun subject, you don't have to turn up to class and you get to do something creative (for once) in a subject.
I would kinda disagree there, technically an ext is harder, but cause you are in a better environment (ie a class where people supposedly like english) its easier and you can have better discussions.

YOur lucky about not having to turn up to ext 2, i always have to and cause i am doing short stories i find it impossible to write creativly with other people around so i kind of end up doing research and reading for everyone else, its kinda cool cause i feel like i am doing 3 or 4 major works (i can tell you what ever you want to know about Buffy in relation to the tradional characteristions in Gothic Literature!) but its also a waste of time which is not good as the due date is getting closed.

ANd Willy, i you think your spelling is bad, you should see ine, its terrible and every one thinks that its hilarious that a 4 unit student can find 4 different ways of spelling library. Even these year 11 kids i dont know keep laughing at me!

HSC
Re: Re: Re: 4u

I would kinda disagree there, technically an ext is harder, but cause you are in a better environment (ie a class where people supposedly like english) its easier and you can have better discussions.

YOur lucky about not having to turn up to ext 2, i always have to and cause i am doing short stories i find it impossible to write creativly with other people around so i kind of end up doing research and reading for everyone else, its kinda cool cause i feel like i am doing 3 or 4 major works (i can tell you what ever you want to know about Buffy in relation to the tradional characteristions in Gothic Literature!) but its also a waste of time which is not good as the due date is getting closed.

ANd Willy, i you think your spelling is bad, you should see ine, its terrible and every one thinks that its hilarious that a 4 unit student can find 4 different ways of spelling library. Even these year 11 kids i dont know keep laughing at me!
I'm doing a short story as well, only one large one though. If you find it impossible to write anything in class, do it all at home, thats what I do (and I'm assuming what most people do). It's much more comfortable at home and you can just let it all out there.

dissonance

you guys have an ext. 2 class?

Our school has about 25 people taking the course but I don't think we've ever all gotten together at once. We have mentors that we meet with one-on-one anytime you want and can arrange to meet with them.

ie. if you really want to talk about your work you can, but if you haven't done anything much in the last week or whatever and there's not much to talk about I don't see my mentor.

Also I think individually ext. 1 and ext.2 english are easier than adv. english. This would mainly be because adv. english is worth 2 units and the extension coruses are worth one. Now the question should be "Is adv english harder than ext.1 and ext.2 english put together?"

By the way I'm making a radio drama for my major work. Urgh, countless hours spent on producing and editing it during these holidays....getting close to completion though (Finally).

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
We actually didnt want the ext 2 class (there are 6 of us) but we had it forced on us. We dont actually go to a class room, just a section of the libabry, which we be great for people who need to research if it had any decent resourse, but even then not that helpful for people doing creative. So we just sit there and talk and stuff and the teacher tried to re-write everyones major works the way she wants them.
Hows the radio drama going? I wanted to do one but didnt really have the guts to step out of my comfort zone, not that my short stories are making me that comfotable right now anyway.
Mercury, whats your major work on?

HSC

Hows the radio drama going? I wanted to do one but didnt really have the guts to step out of my comfort zone, not that my short stories are making me that comfotable right now anyway.
Mercury, whats your major work on?
I wanted to do something different as well, like a video or poetry. But just like you I chickened out and did a Short Story instead.

My major work is just a sci-fi short story. It's actually quite hard to write a story that hasn't been done before in this genre, but iI think I'm going alrite, I'm coming equal 3rd at the moment so I'm pretty happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)