Should English really be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

Should the current English course/s be compulsory?

• YES

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • NO

Votes: 58 68.2%

• Total voters

ali777

HSC
What does everyone else think? I've talked to heaps of my friends and haven't heard one opinion that supports mandatory English, so I thought I'd ask more people....

I don't see how any of the course content necessitates forcing the entire state to study English, it's like any other subject, some students are good at it, some aren't. Even "major" subjects like maths and the sciences are optional, so what makes the analysis of texts/contexts/etc so essential?

If English had been made up of grammar, spelling, vocabulary, learning about different text types (e.g. definitions of discussion, exposition, feature article, speech), and most of all, being taught how to write essays, I would have been all for it being compulsory. We need to know how to spell!! (lets hope I don't have too many typo's in here)

....but sadly, the course is pretty much irrelevant to my life. Which is ok, like I'm never going to use extension 1 maths but I enjoy it and am good at it, therefore i study it. Why shouldn't this same choice be given to students about whether or not to study the current English course?

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I think that English should be compulsory, but it should be more focused on grammar, spelling and argumentative essays - the fundamental things rather than all of the 'ism's. Something like what ali777 said above. People can't tell the difference between they're their and there - doesn't this tell the BOS something?! Also the placement of apostrophe's drive's me FUCKING INSANE.

I think that we should be forced to study two units of English and have the option to do more if we want to, however it should not have to count in the calculation of our UAI if it is not one of our best ten units.

lowek

HSC
It bothers me when people don't know the the difference between your and you're. I mean god, it's not that hard!!! I don't know if english should eb cumpolsory, I just think competent teachers would be a start ( I am furious at mine, she never showed up or gave us anything related to anything in the exam.)

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
I think it should be compulsory and that the way it is offers alot of useful things to the students.

Firstly, what is the analysis of texts under a specified rubric giving us?
I'd say it basically teaches people to be conscious of the varying ways we can look at not just literature but all aspects of life.

Looking at Shakespeare or great poets etc?
Appreciation of literature and the craftsmanship used - we live in a society where this is important so no point trying to escape it no matter how much you dislike Shakespeare.

Analysing the ways context impact on texts?
I think its pretty obvious. The role context plays on literature highlights the fact that we should be conscious of the ways our context (whether we understand it, like it or intend it or not) impacts upon the way we live our life.

I personally think the whole lets learn grammar is absurd! How boring would it be. This should be taught thoroughly in the years 5-8, not year 12! I mean, in todays society emphasis is on the ability of someone to construct logical and sustained ideas, essays, articles, arguments etc etc rather than if they have perfect "Queens english".

But I do agree that there should be focus on stupid grammar mistakes because sometimes it does get riddiculus, but then again I'm sure the marker sees this if its to the point of they're their there and would consider it if it keeps happening.

I understand that some people prefer Maths and are obviously much more talented and interested at the subject. But still, English offers many relevant things to our lives and I have to say (and I did have a really awesome teacher) that I actually enjoyed the subject this year and it was really helpful with all of my other subjects.

Maybe they should make it, and I think this is perectly fine, that EITHER maths or english or both must be done. But then again, I still think english should definately be compulsory in a country with an English backbone.

LynH1326

HSC
Well if English wasn't compulsory we would have even more ignorance in this world. You may not like it, but you need to know how to communicate in the proper form and be able to write - especially if you want to go on to higher education or if you want to be a teacher.

Yes the course needs to be changed to delete the area of study cuz its useless than the modules. Perhaps put in a variety of texts rather than just Shakespeare or delete them from junior school cuz I've done them all to death all through junior high school, good on them for adding Tim Winton's Cloudstreet.

skull78

HSC
english is a great subject. don't diss it. just because you think its uselss doesn't mean it is. persevere with it and it will make more sence. i know the journeys are a load of crap, but so are many other things in life...so just get over it and learn to like it.

rafio

HSC
fuk english n fuk anyone who likes it

english teaches u nothing in lyf man, its got no diciplines or wateva. make it a subject lyk any other. howd all u english loving cunts lyk it if u went to another country lyk india n dey made hindi mandatory huh wat den cunts?

n if BOS lovs english so much den just make compulsory in yer 11, or make it compulsory on yer 12,,but it only counts if it in ur best 10 units. but dat just adds to the work load rite..n its a waste if it dosnt count.

wat do u really learn by analysing shakespeare? romeo fell in lov wit juliet 20000 thousand yers ago..BIG DEAL. get ova it cunt. there is no point teching students to lov shako, wen they cant even rite essays. yeh teach them text types n grammar all dat shit, but u cant keep that goin for yer 11 and 12. das only gona last one yer mateys.

deres no profession in lyf that requires u to analyse texts n shit man. everyone dese day wants to be docs, or enginerrs, or do commerce. no fuker wants to do literacy unless dere bored or failed in maths, and science.

just look at how most prepare for da hsc exam. dey memorise generic essays. its not lyk they rite somth on da spot in da exam. dey study 2 yers of english..den at the end just memorise 4 essays. so wats da point of learning in da two yers? might as well just memorise em 2 weeks b4 da test.

i just hate fukn english, n had enuf of it in da last 5 or somth yers, all english lovers can go to hell. I been learning da same text analysis n crappe since yer 7 mate, can u tell me how learning english differes in senior yers?. it dosnt u still rite essays as u do in yer 7..its da same fukn gay crappe for 5 fukn yers. its a fukn gay and emo subject that requires no intellect or academic talent.

n if any of u english luvos lyk english den go fuk it..but dont go around preaching to everyone else to lov english. cos it shudnt be compulsory.

ibided

HSC
and that is a perfect example of why they need to teach grammar and spelling...

rafio

HSC
yeh fuk up cunt. this isnt a place where u use big nerdy words to show off ur english mate. this is where u just type in short form..msn style bro..u herd of msn u english loving cunt??

all u english loving cunts can go fuk shakespeare....u lyk my grammar cunts???

Mozric

HSC
oh rafio, I thought you were making quite a good joke, but apparently not.

And I for one have heard of MSN. Although I didn't realise that I am right now typing in MSN. Wow. I thought it was, I dunno, an INTERNET FORUM.

It's not chat. You have time to write out a response. Your 'msn style bro' actually looks quite ridiculous.

And, I do agree, I hate's the apostrophe's.

English is good, I like that it's compulsory. Although I do agree that more grammar and stuff needs to be taught... Texts Contexts And Values seems to be all English is.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I think it's good it's compulsory, but I don't think it's THAT helpful... In a way, it is. Like someone said, some people can't even use the you're/your and their/there/they're!! And then there's the totally wrong "yous" - there is NO such things as YOUS, people!! So in a way, I don't mind it being compulsory. I find it interesting though. Especially english discussions... I always learn a lot =D But I hate writing about texts and analysing etc. I can't read between the lines... I can't decipher texts...

Also, I found Advanced really "philosophical" - before I moved across to Standard, we were talking about TRUTHS (module C I think??) and it was really interesting...

SkyScout

HSC
I really think it SHOULD be compulsory... although I must admit it is a VERY demanding course unless you actually do your own work at home and read-up on LOADS of extra material and have lots of extra tutoring or notes!

The skills that you learn from it or not any skills that you will be able to apply primarily in your working area or uni itself... its more of personal understanding and conception and perception of the world surrounding and personal thoughts, believes etc...

The main problem why I (and I beleive many others ) is because that there is a huge gap in terms of the depth of english and language studies that we do between year 10 and year 11 & 12. This HUGE gap becomes like a brick slamming rite at us when we enter Year 11. That's the main issue.

If Our current senior English is to continue to be made compulsory, it would have to not be a huge leap from the moderate standard that years 7-10 offers, that depth and sense of sophisticaiton shuold be sustained and developed throughout right from the beginning of year 7 until year 10 and hence when it is year 11, students just feel its another small gap they would have to cover, rahter than some new world of all these language techniques and essay jargons etc! And I don't mean that we study Shakespeare's text and analyse the different readings right from Year 7 itself, It's just that the sophistication and depth required should also be introduced right from year 7, HOWEVER at a much smaller scale and easier to digest.

andrewgmc

HSC
Lol Rafio, you're such a dip shit. You sound like you're trying to be a hard "cunt" on some forums for school.

rafio

HSC
lol k chill all u english lovers. but listen..ppl shuda learned there apostrophies n grammar thru junior years man. ur 16 or 17 in senior yers, n ur still still learning how to spell n where to put apostrophies? its ridiculous dont YOUS thnk. you shouda learned grammar n all dat otha shit from primary sckool. after u learned that, i dont c any point in learning bout shkaesperas lyf n analysing his worthless piece of shit

how do YOUSE lyk my apostrophies n GrAmAR now CUNTS.

Criddle

HSC
I don't think the current English course (I do 2u Adv) should be compulsory. The whole course and system of marking is absolutely "riddiculus". The main reason for this belief is perfectly exampled by this person (no offence intended) who is doing 2 extra units of English and can't spell the word ridiculous. I am not against doing english compulsorily, but i definitely think that there should be a greater importance placed on correct spelling and grammar, because I am ranked 23/54, below people who can't spell basic words, like "maybe", when I have been correcting English teacher's spelling since yr 7. In short, I think the course needs to be more basic and focused around spelling and grammar, and there should be greater incentives to becoming a teacher in order to attract smarter students, and increase the quality of teaching (that said, my English teacher from yr 11 to yr 12 has been fantastic, he made an otherwise heinous subject bearable). Oh, and rafio, goddamn it, go back to primary school and learn to spell FFS!

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
SkyScout said:
I really think it SHOULD be compulsory... although I must admit it is a VERY demanding course unless you actually do your own work at home and read-up on LOADS of extra material and have lots of extra tutoring or notes!

The skills that you learn from it or not any skills that you will be able to apply primarily in your working area or uni itself... its more of personal understanding and conception and perception of the world surrounding and personal thoughts, believes etc...

The main problem why I (and I beleive many others ) is because that there is a huge gap in terms of the depth of english and language studies that we do between year 10 and year 11 & 12. This HUGE gap becomes like a brick slamming rite at us when we enter Year 11. That's the main issue.

If Our current senior English is to continue to be made compulsory, it would have to not be a huge leap from the moderate standard that years 7-10 offers, that depth and sense of sophisticaiton shuold be sustained and developed throughout right from the beginning of year 7 until year 10 and hence when it is year 11, students just feel its another small gap they would have to cover, rahter than some new world of all these language techniques and essay jargons etc! And I don't mean that we study Shakespeare's text and analyse the different readings right from Year 7 itself, It's just that the sophistication and depth required should also be introduced right from year 7, HOWEVER at a much smaller scale and easier to digest.
Well said *applause*

Niksta123

HSC
I definately think english should be compulsory, but cut out all this crap of poems, shakespeare etc....99% of people in their futures/careers will not be using any of these techniques or whatever they have learnt from these modules...

the essential things that everybody will use in life should be taught...eg how to write a proper essay (although that is already taught), how to write in different text types (to some extent), punctuation etc....the things that people use everyday...\

and if people wanna learn about shakespeare it should be an extension class...

also it shouldnt be included in the 10 units...

Flying-pancakes

HSC
Although this may sound a little racist, my intensions are definately not inclinded that way.

Personally i think the positive reason for compulsory english is that it stops students arriving from countries who put excessive amounts of emphasis on education (such as some asian nations) arriving in year 12 with extremely advanced mathamatical skills, and earning 99% when they can't even speak the language of this country. For Australians i think compulsary english is pointless, we dont all have to be novelists to speek the language. By having english compulsory it just stops students taking all the top UAI's and top jobs when they can't even speek the language of the country.

Once again im not being racist to those students who have come from another country, although i do support and integration of culture and people who come to australia must learn "some" english.

C

CrOsToWnTrAfFiC

English should be compulsory but I don't think that it should count towards your UAI regardless of you mark. I know that english will be my worst mark and it bugs me to know that marks from a subject i did better in will not be counted towards my UAI when english will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)