Should I drop maths? (1 Viewer)

joshmosh1903

HSC
Hey so I recently got my practise exam back for my maths advanced yearly coming soon and I received a 6%. I didn't really study so I get why I got the score but dropping to standard seems like a bad choice... Should I see how my prelims do and then go from there or should I just drop now? Not really sure how scaling and stuff works so I just want to know what's best for me.

beetree1

HSC
Maths advanced scales quite well compared to other subjects and from my opinion isn't hard to study for, so I wouldn't drop it. I would recommend to study for prelims maths and maybe you'll actually enjoy it!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What are you planning on doing after year 12? Plenty of courses (e.g. all of STEM, certain business/commerce majors) require knowledge from advanced maths or higher, and you'd be better off doing that in school rather than cramming it in a briding course or similar.

joshmosh1903

HSC
Maths advanced scales quite well compared to other subjects and from my opinion isn't hard to study for, so I wouldn't drop it. I would recommend to study for prelims maths and maybe you'll actually enjoy it!
My prelims are in a weeks time. Do you think if my results are still bad that I should drop?

joshmosh1903

HSC
What are you planning on doing after year 12? Plenty of courses (e.g. all of STEM, certain business/commerce majors) require knowledge from advanced maths or higher, and you'd be better off doing that in school rather than cramming it in a briding course or similar.
Originally I wanted to go into the IT field but I reckon that with my marks, I could not. My back up was something in advertising or product design.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Originally I wanted to go into the IT field but I reckon that with my marks, I could not. My back up was something in advertising or product design.
IT courses pretty varied, some courses will require maths and others wont. For anything more on the engineering or computer science side, it would definitely be to your advantage to stick with advanced maths.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
tbh i'd say drop. Not to sound mean or anything but speaking realistically, a decent 2u student would not get 6% in an exam even with no study. It'd be better to put in the time into other subjects.

beetree1

HSC
My prelims are in a weeks time. Do you think if my results are still bad that I should drop?
Well then.... 7 days ummmm.. I guess its too late to consider whether to drop or not lol drop it

quickoats

HSC
You might find it worthwhile to do standard maths. It is not calculus based so you won't have to deal with abstract concepts that might be difficult, rather, the concepts are tangible so you might find yourself grasping and understanding them easier.

Of course consult your teachers and see what level of maths is appropriate for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)