Should I drop to Standard English? (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
So my Advanced English marks are really bad for Y11, all assessments were between 50% and 60% and I find the work really boring which is maybe related to the teacher but it doesn't matter since the teacher isn't going to change. It seems like an easy decision to drop to standard but I have done well in essays for other subjects and even 2 teachers have mentioned that my writing is really good and they assumed I do well in English. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Am I better off dropping to standard in hopes of getting better marks along with a better teacher or should I just try harder in advanced?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The difficulty is similar in Standard to Advanced. However, Advanced has much better aligning (proportion getting band 4s,5s etc). You would probably be worse of, with respect to your ATAR, then if you stuck with Advanced English.

I would encourage you to stick with Advanced English. Have you been handing in essays and getting feedback (plus incorporating that feedback into future essays?). Can you afford/willing to get a tutor if you are already trying the previous piece of advice? Any of your friends willing to help you (if they happen to be good at English?). Maybe also try reading some exemplar essays, and essays at different bands, and see what the higher standard essays are doing that your essay is not.

You still have a year till your HSC exams, so you have time to make a significant difference to your English mark.

I have witnessed people getting 50s/60s in Advanced and ending up with band 4s after aligning whilst witnessing people who were getting marks in the 80s in Standard, only receiving band 3s as their final marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)