Should I drop to Standard Math?? (1 Viewer)

elizant

HSC
The school year has started, and I'm beginning to reconsider my subject choices. Especially that I decided to do Advanced Math. I've been doing work on it, and I've realised I don't enjoy it very much. I don't want math to be my main focus, but I've heard with advanced math you get such a big workload, one that outweighs the other subjects. Considering I don't like it very much, and that I don't want to be focusing heaps of my time on math, do you guys think I should move to standard? I haven't got too long to change subjects, only the next week, so quick responses would be appreciated. thanks. btw the other subjects I'm doing are advanced English, legal, modern, bio and physics.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Since ur doimg physics i think you showuld keep it... Some teachers even recommend doing 3u maths if ur doing physics so dropping to standard would be a big handicap
Not really a valid reason imo. The only real maths in high school Physics is basic algebra. If she can do basic algebra really it doesn't even matter if she does standard or advanced.

@elizant only switch if you do not want to pursue STEM in university because otherwise it would be unwise to drop Adv Maths.

Mikunnn~

HSC
First of all, you need to consider what degree you'll take when you go to university. I've heard that most engineering and science related degrees assume that you have at least advanced maths knowledge and preferably they want extension one maths as well.

That being said I understand that you have quite a big workload - biology indeed is requires constant revision, so if you feel that (a) you can do better with standard maths and (b) your workload is too much, then by all means go ahead.

Another thing I would recommend is to look at past papers for BOTH standard and advanced - and the syllabus too. This, I find, is very important in determining which subjects to keep and drop.

Regardless of your decision, you should just treat it as any other subject and put in the most effort you can. Practice and applied effort are the perfect equation for success!

ColdMint123

HSC
Not really a valid reason imo. The only real maths in high school Physics is basic algebra. If she can do basic algebra really it doesn't even matter if she does standard or advanced.

@elizant only switch if you do not want to pursue STEM in university because otherwise it would be unwise to drop Adv Maths.
ahh, my mistake. ive just been told by a lot of people (including teachers) that it is best to do the highest possible level of maths if you are doing physics.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why are you doing Physics if you don't even like maths? You will be handicapped in your Physics, even if it has been mathematically diluted.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Some universities, such as University of Sydney has Advanced Mathematics as prerequisite for entry into Bachelor of Commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)