• Yes, and i got 90+

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No, and i got 90+

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I didn't have one and I got in the low 90s. And I don't regret never getting one.
I would only bother if you really couldn't keep up with a certain subject...then it would be worth it.

kini mini

HSC
Depends on how you are going and on your maths teacher :)

Fi

I think i've said this before, only get a tutor when you discover ur weakness in a subject.
I had an on and off tutor for Maths but hardly put the effort in in class................and guess what?????????? maths didn't even count towards my UAI.
Yeah they help, but if you're not willing to put 110% effort during ur own study time, then it's just a waste of time.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i dont think you need a tutor ... you have your fellow students and teachers as resources ... as well as this forum which has many more-than-capable math students ...:)

maths is one of the few subjects that you can guarentee marks through hard work (unlike subjects like english where you need flair and other stuff) ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Yeah I agree with everyone, tutors aren't worth it. I mean I had no maths teacher for ext. 2 maths, or any tutors foor any of my subjects and still got 98.5

All the info u need to know are in the textbooks.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the only use of a tutor is if they force you to study if your really lazy ... but if your a hard worker then save your money for other things ...

marsesbars

Yes, save the money and buy yourself a good textbook or practice papers with solutions. It's more worth it, if you can motivate yourself to work. Textbook = $50 once off payment, tutoring=$20 a week, for lots of weeks.... My approach was to learn the theory in class, and then go through textbooks or practice papers and memorise any clever ways of doing problems.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, now i get what you guys are trying to say.......but what about the people who got really high as in they got into medicine did they have tutors?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
at my school ... there were two groups of smart people ... those that did tutoring performed slightly worse than those who didnt ... and i knew people (for example in the trial ... the top heap of results were from students without tutoring ... and it was odd to see those with tutors beaten by students who didnt by quite a bit) who did ext2 maths and did no tutoring and they beat everyone in the grade (out of sixty people) ... it really depends on how motivated you are and what level of maths your doing ...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
at my school ... there were two groups of smart people ... those that did tutoring performed slightly worse than those who didnt ... and i knew people (for example in the trial ... the top heap of results were from students without tutoring ... and it was odd to see those with tutors beaten by students who didnt by quite a bit) who did ext2 maths and did no tutoring and they beat everyone in the grade (out of sixty people) ... it really depends on how motivated you are and what level of maths your doing ...
lol. the kids with tutors wasted money and got shit anyway. :apig: :chainsaw:

spice girl

magic mirror
flyin, wot school do u goto?

well depends also on how good the tutors are, and whether their thinking style suits you. If that happens then the tutor would be useful, but you'll never know until you try it.

I guess try to find all the things that you have trouble with, and find a tutor and ask him as many of these things as you can.

Alternatively you can try the free tuition at this forum.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey spice girl,

i have seen your proofs and answers to queries in the maths forums and i was just wondering if you went to a tutor if not how'd you get so smart. :D

spice girl

magic mirror
i dunno if it counts as tuition but i went to those maths camps that they use to train people for maths olympiads. you've got to be good to get in but then you learn heaps of extra stuff there (shortcuts, etc).

otherwise, nah, i dun think there are many good tutors around.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
i dunno if it counts as tuition but i went to those maths camps that they use to train people for maths olympiads. you've got to be good to get in but then you learn heaps of extra stuff there (shortcuts, etc).

otherwise, nah, i dun think there are many good tutors around.
ah...maths olympiad...then 4u should have been a breeze for you. :cool:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i went to north sydney boys high school ...

and since there are many asians (and many rich asians), they (many) basically received the best (if not almost the best) tutoring money can buy ... that either meant going to 'prior' (where they work you so hard that its not really possible not to do well ... but it is expensive and very time consuming) or private tutors from schools such as ruse, sydney boys or some other well-respected schools ...

although a few who did tutoring were near the top, they also worked extremely hard ... while others who had tutors didnt work as hard and were beaten by those who worked hard ...

btw ... i know people from my school who become increasing lazy and relied on tutoring ... so tutoring is only really useful if they can make you do work ... or if you struggle with the concepts then tutoring is recommended ... otherwise textbooks, this forum, your fellow students and teacher should be more than enough ...:)

gronkboyslim

HSC
some tutoring have thier own notes which is helpful, while others justuse the text book, which is bullshit because your teacher does that shit anyway

but i goto tutoring coz im shit
doesnt really help, but i wouldnt know, because i didnt not go tutoring haha

timmii

sporadic attendee
Only get a tutor if you need it. I was one of only 2 people in my maths class without a tutor, so I felt really under pressure to get one....I went once to a well recommended one (head of maths at a selective school), and it was a waste of time - as previously stated i need to work things out for myself. Anyways...ended up ranked first in 2u and 3u maths (in 3u had 15% differential between my assessment mark and the next) and explaining most of the 3u concepts to the other tutored souls in the class. I think you should only get a tutor if you are genuinely struggling, rather than because you feel you should to "remain ahead", because investing the tutoring time into hardcore practice and studying, as well as using some of the time to relax could be more beneficial.

Also - these boardz are brilliant, you probably don't need a tutor if you've discovered them this early.

timace

haaarrr.
HSC
i had an english tutor and got 65 for english standard. (UAI 62.45) your poll was pretty stupid.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
How much ppl here with 90+ went to a tutor coz i am thinking about getting one for maths and wether if its worth it.
I got one because my maths teachers are not good and my tutor's pulled me out of the gutter to no 1... which is good and I don't regret getting one. I agree with what kini mini said... if your maths teachers are good then you don't need one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)