Should I give up on my firend? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Ok here's the deal my friend is a bright but extremely lazy guy. He does the same subjects as me except he does 3 Unit not 4 Unit. For the past 2 years he's been bludging like hell and has been failing or barley passsing almost all of his assessment tasks without even caring. His parents and teachers are concerned but he doesn't care that much. I told him to stop mucking around but he's ignorant and won't listen. He needs 86 ATAR to get into UWS. The problem is that I spend a lot of time helping him in school and out of school; too much time in fact (but he still fails or barely passes because he always neglects all the advice I give him). All this time could be btter used to help myself. Since the HSC is approaching I'm wondering if I should give up on him and just concentrate on my own studies. What do you guys think? I should help him or not? I've neglected my own work to help him but he his grades haven't really improved at all. He's ranekd inthe lwoer half in almost all of his subjects and we go to a school ranked 500+ so that's a very bad position to be in It's not because he's dumb it's just that he's very lazy and for some reason being very foolish. So time's running out and I need to make a decision real soon. Should I give up on him or still try to help him out?

muzeikchun852

HSC
give up on him!

im in a similar situation, this kid kept asking me for help in year 9 and 10, because purely he thinks hes stupid. so i kept on doing wat u doing, trying to explain the theory and the concept to him. but all he cared about is the answer of the question and he failed most of his subjects.

in year 11, i told myself to stop helping him in any subjects and still working since.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Give up on him, I say. It sounds like no amount of help you give your friend will improve him, plus you don't want to be jeopardising your HSC for someone who isn't even taking it seriously.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Give up on him, I say. It sounds like no amount of help you give your friend will improve him, plus you don't want to be jeopardising your HSC for someone who isn't even taking it seriously.

think about urself before others.. :sun::sun:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
But everyone (his parents and teachers) are worried about him and as a friend aren't I obligated to help him?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
As a friend you're only obligated to try to help him - if he doesn't take up your advice and work harder then there's not much you can do really.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
He has to learn to help himself- if he can't even put the effort in now, how is he supposed to do it at uni?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Tell him, start working or that's it, you won't be there to help him anymore.

I've got a friend like this, he is very capable of doing Extension 1 Maths (in year 11 at the moment), he did it for 2 weeks and dropped it purely because he was lazy and couldn't be bothered to come to class (we do it after school), or do the work. He's now in General.

He's been away for weeks, he doesn't want to come, and he said he was gonna try in years 11 and 12. It's a lost cause really.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
you might have regrets if you don't achieve your ATAR.

you have offered to help and that's all you can do. You can't force him to get his act together- it's up to him.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Yeah but I'm not too sure if it's worthwhile. It might make me have regrets in the future.
when i did it, it takes me half a year to think about the consequences. (eg. peer pressure [that friend of mine has huge influence of others], future planning [eg. is there any chances we going to do the same uni course? thats at least 3 years more of friendship]). u need to think about the consequences urself and no thread will hope u. do it quick so u are focus on ur HSC.

Flying_Mangina

HSC
Just follow your heart, and believe in yourself.
Wait.. What the fuck are we talking about?

e-four

HSC
Wait, since you both do the same subjects...and you're helping him, isn't that also helping yourself solidify your own knowledge/revision?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)