Should Pope John Paul II be made a saint? (1 Viewer)

John Paul II a saint?

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

hatty

Banned
a poll taken from the ninemsn website, and the results are fairly tight so far

so what do you people think?

intelligent arguments as to why/why not only please, if you want to talk shit, call your mother.

HSC
Well there are stages to becoming a saint... Like beatification, canonization and the other one. I believe they have to have performed a miracle.

He was a decent pope but I would not say he is saint material.

edit: apparently they ask for four authentic miracles for beatification and a further 2 for canonization.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
No, not before his legacy is judged by history at least.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I would like to know what he did though to make him saint material. or has ninemsn just come up with a random, uneducated poll?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Umm we he doesn't exactly fit the critera.

I don't think he has made any miracles happen after death. In regular rules Mother Theresa shouldnt even be beautified yet.

The miracles must happen after death and I think it is a 100 year period standard after death before the possibility of beautification.

HSC
I know everyone is falling all over themselves to be nice about the Pope seeing as he's dead, but I think making him a saint is excessive, at least at this stage. That is, unless there's a overhaul of canonization underway which I haven't yet heard about.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
he needs 2 be dead for 5 years first (unless the next pope waives that period, which he may do). then perform 2 miracles. he's been dead all of, oooh, 24 hours, i think sainthood is out of the question for now (tho, i've no doubt the issue will be brought up again at some point)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Stop spamming Sloane.

As for Canonisation, he certainly lived a saintly life (perhaps not comparable to the great mediaeval saints, but a lot about the world has changed and saintliness is different now).

The real test will come when popular opinion no longer matters and his actions can be judged for their historical impact. He would definitely not be the first Pope to achieve sainthood.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
he was a terrible pope, grag's reign as pontiff was much more efficient and good for the economy

Generator

HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
The real test will come when popular opinion no longer matters and his actions can be judged for their historical impact.
He failed to even offer his support in the immediate fight against aids in Africa, and he opposed the advancement of women within the church, right? What a great man.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
hey, if you can think of a better way to get rid of the darkies than through aids, grag wants to hear it

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)