Sig fig rules are sorta straightforward in Chemistry, but what about Physics? (1 Viewer)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Isn't it usually the lowest number of significant figures given in the question?

E.g. if m = 1.00 kg, a = 2.0 m/s2, then F = ma = 2.0N, rather than 2.00N. I.e. the answer can only be as accurate as the least accurate piece of information.

Vall

HSC
Don't forget about the sig figs that are inherent to the data sheet too - like technically gravity is only 2 sig figs.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Don't forget about the sig figs that are inherent to the data sheet too - like technically gravity is only 2 sig figs.
oh ok - so any calc involving gravity are inherently limited to 2sf?

edwxnsamuel

HSC
Physics doesn't really mark for sig figs (as far as I've seen in the marking guidelines for the past few years), however, from what I've heard, sig figs are a 'Band 6 indicator' which just means its a mark of a strong student that they're aware of the accuracy of their calculations. And answering the question above, Yes, any calculations involving gravity are technically inherently accurate to 2s.f. since the value you use is 9.8 (2.s.f) on the data sheet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)