Sig figs problem (chem) (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
1676102155498.png
Could I get some opinions on how many sig figs should be rounded for this q? (i think it's 1 sig fig because the 100mL, but the q says 3 s.f.)

...xD

HSC
View attachment 37681
Could I get some opinions on how many sig figs should be rounded for this q? (i think it's 1 sig fig because the 100mL, but the q says 3 s.f.)
Take this with a grain of salt but I think it should be 3s.f. because (in physics at least), you assume the most amount of s.f. in the number with the least possible amount of s.f.

E.g. between 100, 25 and 0.173,

100 has max 3 and min 1

25 has 2

0.173 has 3

So we take bare min: 1 which is 100 and then assume its the most no. of s.f: 3

+ the question also says to 3.s.f. so most likely to 3s.f.

indeed

HSC
Take this with a grain of salt but I think it should be 3s.f. because (in physics at least), you assume the most amount of s.f. in the number with the least possible amount of s.f.

E.g. between 100, 25 and 0.173,

100 has max 3 and min 1

25 has 2

0.173 has 3

So we take bare min: 1 which is 100 and then assume its the most no. of s.f: 3

+ the question also says to 3.s.f. so most likely to 3s.f.
Oh ok, I didn't know about the process of taking the minimum and using maximum, normally I just found smallest sig figs. Thank you!

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
you assume the most amount of s.f. in the number with the least possible amount
to me this doesn't really make sense
e.g. in "100" there is only 1 sig fig, u can't say there are many possibilities that just ruins the whole point of sf in the first place
what do u mean by the most amount of sig fig in the number with the least possible amount ???
its always the lowest amount of sig fig, thats it.

indeed

HSC
e.g. in "100" there is only 1 sig fig, u can't say there are many possibilities that just ruins the whole point of sf in the first place
what do u mean by the most amount of sig fig in the number with the least possible amount ???
Yeah that makes more sense in my head, but Ieaving 1 s.f. as the final answer also seems a bit uncomfortable

cossine

HSC
The thing is whether you can measure something or not. If you could only measure to the nearest 100 ml then yes 1 s.f. would make sense. If you could measure nearest 1ml then 3 s.f. would make sense

wizzkids

HSC
Excuse me?
Where does it say in the question that any calculation is required?
The question appears to be asking for a qualitative answer, not a quantitative answer.
Or have I missed something?
However, the data is ambiguous. The number of significant figures in the number "100" is ambiguous. Trailing zeros are not significant unless there is a trailing decimal point.
That is the rule, but if the question states to use 3 sig.figs then use 3. Don't read too much into the question.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
The thing is whether you can measure something or not. If you could only measure to the nearest 100 ml then yes 1 s.f. would make sense. If you could measure nearest 1ml then 3 s.f. would make sense
yeah i agree (and thats the whole reason sig figs were invented!)
but in the context of these questions what would u assume? I was always told by all of my teachers to assume lowest amount of sig fig unless obviously if the question specifies how much they want, which is why i would go with 1 sig fig

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Excuse me?
The question appears to be asking for a qualitative answer, not a quantitative answer.
However, the data is ambiguous. The number of significant figures in the number "100" is ambiguous. Trailing zeros are not significant unless there is a trailing decimal point.
That is the rule, but if the question states to use 3 sig.figs then use 3. Don't read too much into the question.
the question might have multiple parts but he only sent the main information part of the question which is why he's asking ig
but if there aren't any following parts that involve calculations then we've all been discombobulating our brains for nothing Lol.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
For reference, the full version of this question is as follows:

A 100 mL saturated solution of calcium hydroxide at 25°C contains 0.173 g of calcium hydroxide.

(a) Calculate the solubility product (Ksp) of this salt at 25°C. (b) Explain why the undissolved solid is not included in the expression for the solubility product constant.
(3 marks)

(b) Explain why the undissolved solid is not included in the expression for the solubility product constant. (1 mark)

One thing to note is that this version of the question (which comes from NESA's additional sample examination questions for Chemistry) does not specify a number of significant figures, contrary to OP's version of the question.

I will also include a sample answer to part (a), hoping that it would contribute to this discussion:

1676123953865.png

indeed

HSC
Excuse me?
It's mainly a qualitative question which requires quantitative evidence, the answers have it in 3 s.f., though the trailing zeros rule you mentioned makes more sense

indeed

HSC
the question might have multiple parts but he only sent the main information part of the question which is why he's asking ig
but if there aren't any following parts that involve calculations then we've all been discombobulating our brains for nothing Lol.
Yeah the question requires quantitative evidence for a relatively qualitative question

indeed

HSC
For reference, the full version of this question is as follows:

A 100 mL saturated solution of calcium hydroxide at 25°C contains 0.173 g of calcium hydroxide.

(a) Calculate the solubility product (Ksp) of this salt at 25°C. (b) Explain why the undissolved solid is not included in the expression for the solubility product constant.
(3 marks)

(b) Explain why the undissolved solid is not included in the expression for the solubility product constant. (1 mark)

One thing to note is that this version of the question (which comes from NESA's additional sample examination questions for Chemistry) does not specify a number of significant figures, contrary to OP's version of the question.

I will also include a sample answer to part (a), hoping that it would contribute to this discussion:

View attachment 37683
Thank you 👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)