Significant Figures in Exam (1 Viewer)

tommo727

HSC
Hey guys, for chemistry exams the use of significant figures to the lowest value they give data in the question is strict and can often be in the marking criteria. Is this the same for physics? It seems like it is hardly mentioned and I have never seen it in HSC physics marking criteria, and the sample answers seem to use a random number of significant figures. So, what is the best thing to do with significant figures for calculation questions?
Should I round to the lowest sf in the question data, or just use common sense to round to something reasonable?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
The general rule I learnt is to look at the numbers they give you and match it up that way. So if there are digits with 2 decimals and one with 3 decimals, I would just write my final answer with 3 numbers after the decimal and align it that way.

Not really sure if it really poses an importance though?

tommo727

HSC
The general rule I learnt is to look at the numbers they give you and match it up that way. So if there are digits with 2 decimals and one with 3 decimals, I would just write my final answer with 3 numbers after the decimal and align it that way.

Not really sure if it really poses an importance though?
Yeahh, just seems weird that its stressed quite a lot by chemistry teachers and HSC marking in chem is often strict on sig figs, but it is not really cared about in physics.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeahh, just seems weird that its stressed quite a lot by chemistry teachers and HSC marking in chem is often strict on sig figs, but it is not really cared about in physics.
I don't think you'll lose marks for not choosing the correct SF :) Just round appropriately through your own decisions

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
You don't know how they will mark each year. Some years, significant figures aren't in their marking criteria/guidelines, whereas in other years they opt to mark for them. The general rule is, for calculation questions, you answer to the LEAST amount of significant figures given in the question.

Esse

xD
HSC
N/A
You don't want to lose marks on something so stupid by BOSTES of significant figures, so just to be careful, I'd always do the least amount of significant figures given in the question :) GL for Monday

meDAawesome

HSC
I was told that every year theres always 1 question in the exam where they mark significant figures, but you don't know what question it will be

tommo727

HSC
You don't want to lose marks on something so stupid by BOSTES of significant figures, so just to be careful, I'd always do the least amount of significant figures given in the question :) GL for Monday
Okay great Thankyou :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)