Silly Question (1 Viewer)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Hurro,
Does anybody mind me asking whether I've got the tenses in the following 'names' right?

- Legio Malifactor
- Legio Malus

Thanks.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Confused

Erm...

This may be a silly answer, but why do you need tenses when they are names?

:cool:

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Sorry. I've got practically no idea about Latin - I was just wondering whether the words in the proper way... Whoops. #8-S

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
OK, then...

I think I know what you mean, if you put it that way.

The words are names/proper nouns, so they don't have tenses. But in Latin there are genders (m, f, n) for each noun, and the adjectives which agree with them have endings specific to these genders

eg. miser puer = wretched boy
misera puella = wretched girl

Your word "legio" means "legion" - I don't know whether you meant "legio" or "lex", which means "law", because your terms sound like legal jargon.

"legio" is feminine, which means that the adjective "malus, -a, -um", meaning 'bad' would take the form "mala" with this noun.

As for 'malefactor', I've never heard of it...my closest guess would be some supine construction from "malefacio, -ere", 'to harm', or something related to "malefactum, i., n." (wrong, injustice).

Hope that helps

:cool: Weisy

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
does this forum exist solely for the purpose of people who don't do latin wandering in, giving funny looks to the people who do do latin, perhaps asking a question (which is realy basic to the latin types but bloody confusing to the rest), justifying their presence by saying that a freind of theirs used to do latin, or maybe that was greek, i can't remember now, and listing all the latin words and phrases they do know?

as you might have guessed, i don't do latin.
but i have a frend who used to.
and it wasn't greek.
and i gave her funny looks about it.

i used to know something about bread and circuses, but i've forgotten it.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Oi! I ain't giving people funny looks! I'd love to learn Latin, if only I had the time. Post HSC? #8D

And no, I don't have any Greek friends either.

And sorry for the stupid question - I was just checking the validity of a couple of names that I might use for my Space Marine Chapter in Warhammer.... *Blush* #8-(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)