Slaughterhouse Practices (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
Wikipedia - Slaughterhouse

---

did anyone watch the end of 60 mins last night when they showed a preview for next week? it made me feel so sick, iran people i think it was crippling cows before they go and slit their throat and then the meat gets sent here

more info on this sunday night but gosh i dont think i could watch it again

Edit: Transcript: A cruel trade

Last edited by a moderator:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Re: crippling cows before killing them in iran

anita_wax said:
did anyone watch the end of 60 mins last night when they showed a preview for next week? it made me feel so sick, iran people i think it was crippling cows before they go and slit their throat and then the meat gets sent here

The answer is not to watch 60 mins since it is largely crap. If you want to watch some real journalism watch 4 corners or dateline. With everyday 60mins becomes more like ACA's offspring.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

wheredanton said:
The answer is not to watch 60 mins since it is largely crap. If you want to watch some real journalism watch 4 corners or dateline. With everyday 60mins becomes more like ACA's offspring.
yeah, anyway according to westerner's "All the hindus will be pissed".

dilroy

HSC

What are those fucking idiots doing to the cows lol. I mean AWB is ok but this shit is just stupid.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Anti-Mathmite said:
How the hell is 60 minutes, ACA or TodayTonight "crap". What makes it qualify for the title of "crap", other than that it doesn't say things that you like to hear?
The fact that they've studied Module C of HSC Advanced English and are therefore higher and mightier than TT or ACA and are far above the brainwashing powers of these 2 programs.

That and the fact that ACA and TT are incredibly emotional and subjective.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC

HotShot said:
yeah, anyway according to westerner's "All the hindus will be pissed".
Did u actually see that shit? No matter what religion u are it was shocking, the way those iraqi's beat the cows as they try 2 (barely) walk, it was so barbaric u wonder how those animals get away with it and think its ok.

malkin86

HSC

I can understand the logic behind having laws that say that you can't eat a comatose cow... Because usually, if you find a comatosed cow in a field or something, there's something terribly wrong with it, and it shouldn't be eaten - just like you shouldn't eat animals that died a natural death, or that died of disease.

These days, we can induce coma in a way that doesn't damage the quality + safety of the meat, so it isn't too much of an issue from that POV.

But, Anita, if the whole slaughterhouse issue really freaks you out, you might want to consider becoming a vegetarian or vegan. :)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
anita_wax said:

---

how did you think we got meat? maybe soon 60 mins will do an expose on where babies come from. another mystery solved

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
crazyhomo said:
how did you think we got meat? maybe soon 60 mins will do an expose on where babies come from. another mystery solved
hmm watch the footage, then im sure you'd go for aussie meat over theirs... its like choosing free range or caged eggs, i sure youve seen the conditions on those.
just try imagine u are that poor animal sigh...

id happily compare it to being tortured before being killed in a humans perspective. lets say being captured in iraq and being beheaded after being tortured is a great example for humans to look to

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
anita_wax said:
hmm watch the footage, then im sure you'd go for aussie meat over theirs... its like choosing free range or caged eggs, i sure youve seen the conditions on those.

id happily compare it to being tortured before being killed in a humans perspective. lets say being captured in iraq and being beheaded after being tortured is a great example for humans to look to
i'm really not sure what you're even talking about, so i'm just gonna say i don't care. as long as it tastes good and doesn't make me sick i'm ok with animals dying to make my meat

Comrade nathan

HSC
Ok i imagine im a animal, i realise i have no self conscious, i now care even less.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
anita_wax said:

lol, either when you are going to eat them they are dead.

bugs

Animal groups condemn slaughter practices
October 29, 2003

A stun gun blow to the head is a small mercy administered by Australian abattoirs to deaden the agony of slaughter, but most livestock exported to the Middle East must bleed to death.

The 50,000 sheep stranded aboard the Saudi-bound Cormo Express for 11 weeks - two months longer than usual - has outraged animal welfare groups and stirred a community backlash against the Federal Government and the export industry body, LiveCorp.

After weeks of floundering diplomatic attempts to find a new buyer for the sheep following their rejection by the Saudis over a scabby mouth outbreak, the mob was this week offloaded to Eritrea as a $10 million gift paid for by Australian taxpayers.

Muslim and Jewish communities have been lumped together for criticism by animal welfare groups who say their livestock slaughter methods under religious ritual are inhumane and outdated.

Halal and kosher meat preparation traditionally require that slaughter be carried out with a single cut to the throat while the animal is still alive, but anti-cruelty campaigners say there is no religious reason to forbid pre-stunning.

The death throes of an animal suffering a mortal throat gash are commonly dismissed as "just twitching nerves" despite veterinary research which shows sheep remain conscious of the pain for 30-40 seconds. For cattle, it's more like 90 seconds due to a secondary blood supply to the brain that prolongs the suffering.

Knife-only killings are still accepted as normal practice throughout the Middle East and in parts of Africa and Asia.

Australian state governments have set strict guidelines for local abattoirs which must use captive-bolt stun guns even for kosher and halal prepared meat, yet the Commonwealth allows livestock to be subjected to butchery methods overseas that would never be tolerated at home.

Australia is the world's biggest livestock exporter, now sailing on the sheep's back with a $1 billion-plus trade on the hoof.

Last year, Australia shipped out 6,062,923 head of sheep and 3,336,846 head of cattle as well as 136,125 goats.

Animal Liberation NSW executive director Mark Pearson said the only meat exported from Australia to the Middle East should be wrapped in plastic.

He said poor training and killing facilities made for horrendous slaughters and there was usually no "knocking box" to secure animals as they struggled against the slaughtermen.

"They're usually just on a tile floor, so the floor is wet and slippery from water and blood; the animal's falling all over the place and it's slid around to face Mecca and it's writhing and distressed because of the smell of blood and having seen other animals slaughtered," Mr Pearson told AAP.

"There are practices like in (one particular) abattoir in Egypt to get the animals down, they cut the tendons of their legs, smash their knees and stab their eyes to try and control the animals that are terrified and jumping all over the floor - and then it has its throat cut without any stunning.

"Even if we sent them off on the QEII and nothing went wrong, when they step off that ship at the other end, a lot goes wrong and a lot of circumstances we wouldn't tolerate if we were aware."

Apart from animal welfare issues, Mr Pearson said Australia's live export trade was absurd because jobs and value adding opportunities were lost while five chilled carcases could fit in the area taken up by one live sheep on a ship.

He said Australia's animal protection laws became a farce when exporters could ship livestock to the other side of the world, knowing what kind of fate lay ahead.

"Australia needs to take a stand on animal welfare and be a recognised civilised country which says 'no, we will not provide a demand from another country if it is going to have a severe, adverse animal welfare impact'," he said.

But Australia could not resort to "neo-colonial cultural posturing" and tell other countries how to handle our animals, a spokesman for federal Agriculture Minister Warren Truss said.

"We have no sovereignty in foreign countries and we have no right to tell them how they should do things," the spokesman told AAP.

Australia had an Arabic-speaking vet stationed in the Middle East to assist with training and animal care, and the spokesman said improved slaughter methods overseas would be achieved by continued engagement through trade.

RSPCA president Dr Hugh Wirth has been an outspoken critic of the Cormo Express debacle and controversially demanded the sheep be slaughtered at sea to end their misery.

"I firmly know that pre-stunned animals die humanely - it makes a huge difference because a stunned animal doesn't feel any pain whatsoever," Dr Wirth said.

"You can't mix a western-style abattoir killing with a religious killing, it doesn't work.

"All of the religious killing methods that are mentioned either in the Koran or the Bible are performed on a single animal, not a group of animals, in a stall, not in an abattoir."

A spokesman for LiveCorp said the desire for higher animal welfare standards overseas would not be achieved by Australia exiting the market, in place of countries like Kenya and Somalia.

"There's less likelihood of a stun gun being used without Australia (in the marketplace), now that the Kenyans are in there," the spokesman said.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/29/1067233223911.html

some article from 2003 - wonder if things have changed since then when it comes to exporting cattle.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Malfoy said:
And I reiterate - if it bothers you, don't consume meat/animal products. These days, there are plenty of alternatives.
WAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES - KILLING INNOCENT VEGETABLES, DESTROYING THE HABITAT OF OTHER SPECIES BY CONSUMING CABBAGE, ETC SHUT THE FUCK UP AND EAT WHAT U WANT.

Salima

HSC
You see this controvosy bout the slaughter houses? Well the alternative thing is (also in light of hte chicken contampination) is to eat halal food. Everythign boutt he food has to be perfect. They have to bee clean animals, fed proper food (not partial left over bits of chicken like the chickens are), the are killed humanely....better than being cut up alive or shot in the head! So you get soemthign orgainc, well fed, well looked after and treadted, and killed safely and humanely...(meaning the fastest and best way so the animals don't feel the pain.).

I don't see why more peopel don't eat halal..it's not liek you gotta be muslim to eat it. It's a better health food alternative all round, liek orgainc only 10 times better than that. It's not specially for religious types either. If you want to eat well, then go halal, that's what I say. And anyone who doesn't eat meat becuase of how animals are treated, what they're fed, or how their killed then, well, you'd be safe with halal.

A study has been done, that even proved (using non-muslims) that non-halal meat tasted worse than the halal...you can actually taste and feel the difference within youself and body and soul. The chicken I get is so much mroe tender and juicier than any others, adn doens't dry up real quick and cooks better too. (Baida is the name...they also make othe chiken products like nuggets and such etc).:wave:

danieljarvis

HSC
yeh i saw it... we advance so far and yet still do the stupidest shit. don't single out the people of the country though.. every country still does stupid fuckin shit like that to animals... chickens majorly in australia. but yeah.. sucks ass. made me cry. so does my dad. xwhywhywhywhyx ;)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
danieljarvis said:
yeh i saw it... we advance so far and yet still do the stupidest shit. don't single out the people of the country though.. every country still does stupid fuckin shit like that to animals... chickens majorly in australia. but yeah.. sucks ass. made me cry. so does my dad. xwhywhywhywhyx ;)
?

um animals do that? and we are animals u kno?

iranian rocket

HSC
anita_wax said:

Did you even watch the show? You seem to be confused about everything that was screened.

1)Firstly they were not from Iran or Iraq as someone else stated, they were from EYGPT

2)Secondly, we export live cattle to Eygpt and they slaughter them for domestic consumption. We do not import meat from anywhere, left alone from an african state that is mostly desert, you might want to get your facts straight. All meat consumed in Australia is slaughtered in Australia.

3)Thirdly, the whole premise of show was dealing with the issue of whether or not we should be exporting live animals, and if we do choose to do so it should only be with countries that slaughter the animals humanely. It wasnt about "where australian meat comes from".

Before you start ranting you might want to check to see what your ranting about,

Furthermore, in the majority of 3rd World Countries, most of the population are poor and there is a complete disregard for human rights, thus it is not surprising that animal rights barely registers on the radar. This is a 1st World value with which you critise a third world country. Also this treatment of animals is not "islamic" in anyway that is to say this is not the norm in muslim countries, this just seems to be a cultural thing endemic to eygpt where the people are yet to develop a sense that animals have rights also. Salima this is not about halal or non-halal this is about animal abuse otherwise there is nothing inhumane about slaughtering an animal using halal procedures. Slitting an animals throat kills it instantly just as it kills humans instantly.

With wealth and education comes a whole lot of new values, you cant expect things of people who are still a couple steps behind through no fault of their own.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)